Community
Wiki Posts
Search

pay off other cc with delta amex ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

pay off other cc with delta amex ?

i think the answer is "no" but i'll ask anyway. is there a way to use the delta amex to pay off another credit card and get delta miles ?

i presume it looks like a cash advance or some other non-miles earning activity right ?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:58 pm

Not sure, but I suspect you're right. It probably will appear to be a cash advance no matter how you do it.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
yeah you won't get miles for balance transfers.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Depends on the timelines and amount of the other credit card but one could buy dollar coins and use to proceeds to pay off the first card. Takes a little work (and likely ticks off the bank when deposited) but would be an effective balance transfer.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
You can pay your paypal account with th Delta Amex, then pay yor other credit cards from paypal.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:32 am

Programs: DL Silver
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
You can pay your paypal account with th Delta Amex, then pay yor other credit cards from paypal.
Really? I just browsed through my Paypal account, and I didn't see a way to do this. Have you done this?
Old Jul 18, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by timothyp_787
Really? I just browsed through my Paypal account, and I didn't see a way to do this. Have you done this?
While I have never sent money to myself via paypal, I have sent to my GF. She would then transfer the funds she received in paypal, to her bank account to pay bills including our Romania based Ing card. I figured you could send money to yourself. Perhaps I was mistaken but surely if you know a family member you trust, you can pay them via paypal, then they can pay you.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:18 am

I would assume you could create 2 Paypal accounts. One linked to your Amex card and another to your bank account.

Then send money from your Amex paypal account to your bank associated paypal account.

Last edited by lostone; Jul 18, 2009 at 8:30 am
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:02 am

Whoa very creative! I never thought of using PayPal in this fashion before but I think it would work if you had two PayPal accounts set up.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
I have been thinking of doing the same thing with my DL Reserve card, as I will probably only hit around $25,000 in spending by the end of the year. I firgure the cost would be 2.9% of $5,000 to get the benefit of the bonus 15,000 MQM's, so effectively a dollar value wash for me if you value the miles at $0.01/mile, but the MQM's putting putting me in at least GM status (and PM status if a trip to the Phillipines later this year ends up being on NW's metal) would be well worth the effort.

As for using paypal just to get miles, I would think it's certainly not worth it, as you are paying 2.9% to get a reward that is usually only a 1% reward, so you're losing 1.9% for every dollar you pay yourself to get miles. But, if you're doing it to hit a miles-boost threshold, I would say it's worth it within a certain range, especially if you're going for MQMs that would help your up-grade chances.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, American Advantage, Continental Onepass
Buy coins from the US Mint!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dohko8
Buy coins from the US Mint!
yea i'm on the 'mint wagon' anyway for straight up miles with the DL amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.