Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Port of Portland approves $3.5 million to keep PDX-NRT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat

Two days after news broke that Deutsche Lufthansa AG will stop its six-year-old direct flight from Portland to Frankfurt, Germany, Port of Portland commissioners unanimously approved an unprecedented $3.5 million payment to Delta Air Lines in order to keep the airline’s nonstop international flight from Portland to Tokyo.
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...6/daily37.html
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Not much of an incentive if you ask me. I think a longer term incentive should have been offered. Sounds like DL is just lucky to get some money quick!
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
PDX to subsidize NRT flight

Lufthansa just announced they're dropping the PDX-FRA flight in September, and the Port of Portland was worried about DL dropping the NRT flight, so they're making a one-time $3.5 million payment to guarantee service through May, according to today's Oregonian.

Port of Portland commissioners voted today to pay Delta Air Lines $3.5 million to continue its nonstop Portland-Tokyo service, which they consider crucial for international business.

The novel deal, reached after extensive negotiations, shows how airlines are pushing airports nationally to share risks. But it's unlikely to be repeated, either in Portland or elsewhere internationally, according to managers of the Port, which runs Portland International Airport....
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...ze_pdxtok.html
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...p-pdx-nrt.html
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:53 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Seems like the Port of Portland is more worried about losing DL's crappy 767 than I am. My travel has been rerouted through SEA. Have no problem flying an extra 2 hrs if I can actually sleep on the plane. Although, admittedly, the loss of LH is a blow to PDX, and the Port does not want to revert to the days when YVR was the only flight to keep PDX "international."

Maybe DL should also charge the Port a fee for each award ticket redeemed?! DL loves fees, after all...
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, etc.
Hope the non-stop to AMS doesn't get dropped.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
Originally Posted by tbcpn
Hope the non-stop to AMS doesn't get dropped.
After LH pulling out? Possible, but unlikely.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:27 am

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
One of the reasons dicussed for the LH 'suspension" was that the NW flight to AMS had diluted the market. Hopefully there are enough TATL passengers to keep one flight going.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
D'oh! Didn't go back far enough to see the original thread on this topic.

I'm also disappointed that DL switched out the NW A330 to the 767, but I've figured out how to position myself to sleep on the recliner seats in BE. That said, when I'm flying BE to Europe (paid or via a PMU) I tend to prefer going through ATL since it's significantly more redeemable and medallion miles.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Loran
That said, when I'm flying BE to Europe (paid or via a PMU) I tend to prefer going through ATL since it's significantly more redeemable and medallion miles.
And you can rack up even more SkyMiles by purchasing things like food, drink, and reading material while you wait out your delayed flights!

(I kid ATL fans, I kid...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.