Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Purchase an Economy seat now and upgrade to BusinessElite for 1 mile.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase an Economy seat now and upgrade to BusinessElite for 1 mile.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:21 pm

Miles returned?

Has anyone who changed from a 25000 mile upgrade to a 1 mile upgrade actually received their miles back in their account yet? If so how long did it take?
Old Jul 11, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
This promotion is basically nothing other than a summer promotional Business Elite fare, basically an M-UP subject to Z inventory.

I guess Delta thought the marketing angle would be better promoting it as a 1 mile upgrade than it would be simply offering an I fare at M fare levels.

Given that the Delta beancounters are world class, I have a hard time figuring out how they missed the fact that if Delta simply published the I fare at the M fare rate, people could just buy the tickets online and be done with it. As it is, people will have to tie up res agents looking for Z inventory and booking the upgrades, which is a relatively expensive use of employee time.
Can I upgrade a NW flight (BOS-AMS) with DL Skymiles? I had a few NW miles, but I transferred them over to Skymiles back in May or thereabouts!
Old Jul 11, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
I believe you can, but it's just as easy to transfer your miles back. Takes just a few seconds.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I had the option of upgrading in both directions. My outbound from LAX/ARN are NW flts. Decided to save the $$ and just upgrade ARN/LAX. (DL flts).
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by meh130
I just called back on mine to ask about the expected reissue, and the SMS agent says my upgrade code is now "001". So apparently, no reissue was needed, they just changed the code on the existing reservation.

I guess I will find out what really happens when I get my August statement.
There was a ticket reissue after all. I got an email today with the reissued e-ticket.

Looking at my SkyMiles account today, I see two new entries posted today: "Award Redemption, Certificate #XXXXXXX01 (Code D001)" and "Award Redemption, Certificate #XXXXXXX02 (Code D001)".

My intinerary and seat selections remain unchanged. It looks like I am good to go.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:53 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I have a trip to PVG coming up later this month. I had long since secured Z inventory for my M fare, but had not yet turned in my PMUs (procrastination has its privileges). I called Delta asking whether using this promotion the ticket would be reissued or just fare class recoded. The Delta agent at SMS said no reissue, and that it was too late (upgrades had to be requested by Jul 13; it was now Jul 14). No problem, I said, I'll just use a PMU. In any case, I feel an upgrade is more secure when a ticket is reissued.

8 hours later, I got a voicemail from a different Delta reservations agent to say that because my upgrade had been requested before Jul 13 (even though the original request was for a PMU), I was in fact eligible for the 1 mile upgrade promotion, and that she had gone ahead to deduct 2 miles, and reissued my ticket, as well as emailing me the new itinerary and receipt (I confirmed that ticket numbers had indeed changed).

I am very impressed. Clearly somebody took the initiative to escalate the question, and somebody higher up took the time and effort to correct the mistake of the original agent without my having to spend my time chasing and following up. Maybe they did it for me because I'm a PM. In any case, it makes me more willing to purchase M fares with DL in future. Well done Delta. Now what am I going to do with my five remaining PMUs?

I will also note that the Bizelite cabin for my flight ATL-PVG has become very full, and PVG-ATL quite full, possibly because this promotion is making more people willing and able to fly in C.

Last edited by Buster CT1K; Jul 15, 2009 at 2:22 am
Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:38 am

Upgrade confirmed, but no miles deducted

I called last week and got my B-class fare (JFK - DKR) upgraded under the one mile upgrade promotion (one leg confirmed a couple of days ago), but the miles were not deducted. "Yet" I assume. Or should I worry that something has gone horribly wrong?

Edit - "itineraries" on delta.com shows both reservations confirmed and z-class seats selected for trip.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1+MM / HH Lifetime Diamond
Any updates on this program.... do you think they'll offer something similar later in the fall?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Data point:

Flight next Tuesday, miles were pulled tonight. Va bene!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.