Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Purchase an Economy seat now and upgrade to BusinessElite for 1 mile.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase an Economy seat now and upgrade to BusinessElite for 1 mile.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2009, 3:10 pm

Seems a PM only promo, so it does not really affect PMU value, in the sense there are no GMs or FOs vying for the seats. Really seems like a unlimited PMU grant for the summer. Not a bad idea if it motivates people to spend more to get an upgradable fare.

I noticed NW has been experimenting with complementary upgrades on international to its PEs over the last year. They also have a mileage upgrade from YBM to J at check-in for PE and GEs which apparently is not tied to Z seats but any unsold J seat. I think that is a great idea, and would be a great use for PMUs. The idea of PMs/PEs sitting in the back on YBM fares and four fading PMUs in their briefcase while J has 20 empty seats is just wrong. Of course, a PM flying on a Y should probably warrant a complementary upgrade occasionally.

I would also like to see an upgrade from lower fares to J using more miles.

As for my weak FO status this year (really should have done a mileage run to make GM last year), I spent the extra money for the M-fare to SYD, and will burn the 50K miles for the lie-flat. The seat is confirmed, but the miles have not be deducted, I assume they will at check-in.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by daveland
Just curious - I see on the DL board this is a common way of thinking. Yet AA allows eVIP use on almost any fare. And they are not going out of business. Not only that, the eVIPs therefore have much more "worth" to their best customers. What is the contrarian opinion? That DL has so much less J space than AA that there'd be no room to upgrade if more fare classes were eligible?
The AA eVIPs are arguably better than the DL PMUs for that reason.

That said, there are some fare buckets that the eVIPs won't upgrade (typically the lower fares... for example you can't upgrade I to the F cabin). And while AA will allow mileage upgrades on the same fares, mileage upgrades do come with a copay (DL does not)... even for domestic. The AA EXP requires more qualifying miles/points/segments than DL.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
"paid tickets purchased in Y, B, or M economy class between the continental United States, Alaska, and Canada and any international destination that offers J class fares (BusinessElite) where upgrade class of service is available on Delta or Northwest-operated flights only"

What about Hawaii?
- and also what about Hawaii as a destination??
(I get the feeling it is a hybrid as a US state, but often treated like "international". I never know what to think when DL / NW speak of a "Pacific" destination in a promo either...)
Old Jul 2, 2009, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

meh130, no it is NOT, both my wife and son have received it and are both FO,

daveland, because it is not so cut and dry. In real life I know a lot of AA fliers who complain that either the cabins are too full of "riff-raff" or that it is even harder to get upgardes on AA because of how "cheap" it can be to get them.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 8:11 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Smile Upgradeable m class more than biz i

When the M class is more than Biz,
I think you are doing a favor buying "economy",
not the other way around.
see below when I checked out the promotion for my future trip!

Departs
Arrives
Stops
Travel
Time
Flights, Cabin (Class) & Upgrade
Price per Passenger (USD)
Round trip

Nonstop
6:00pm
JFK 7:05am
LHR

Arrives 16 Aug Nonstop 8 hr 05 min
Delta 3
Boeing 767-400ER
In-Flight ServicesBusiness (I)
View SeatsUpgrade:
Not Eligible
From $1,852.20 round trip
+ $192.16 Taxes/Fees = $2,044.36

8:40pm
JFK 9:25am
LHR

Arrives 16 Aug Nonstop 7 hr 45 min
Delta 1
Boeing 767-400ER
In-Flight ServicesBusiness (I)
View SeatsUpgrade:
Not Eligible
From $1,852.20 round trip
+ $192.16 Taxes/Fees = $2,044.36

1-stop
6:00pm
JFK 7:05am
LHR

Arrives 16 Aug Nonstop 8 hr 05 min
Delta 3
Boeing 767-400ER
In-Flight ServicesCoach (M)
View SeatsUpgrade:
Not Eligible
From $2,137.20 round trip
+ $132.89 Taxes/Fees = $2,270.09

8:40pm
JFK 9:25am
LHR

Arrives 16 Aug Nonstop 7 hr 45 min
Delta 1
Boeing 767-400ER
In-Flight ServicesCoach (M)
View SeatsUpgrade:
Not Eligible
From $2,137.20 round trip
+ $132.89 Taxes/Fees = $2,270.09
Old Jul 3, 2009, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes on a few routes for various competitive reasons, such as LHR DL has very cheap I class fares available, we all know that and it has been stated many times. Considering the fact that DL has 2 frequencies JFK-LHR, vs 25 or so of OAL then obviously this is not a good deal for this promo. It should be noted that this was pointed out BEFORE this promotion in regards to upgrading on this route as well.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 2:35 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Originally Posted by DMIrishFlyer

Wish i some travel planned!
With the current loads, Ireland to USA in BE I not surprised they have done this. I have flown 6 legs this year using PMU certs and the cabin was pretty empty.

What are loads in BE like on other routes?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Remember that the I fare often has restrictions that a YBM fare might not have... advance purchase, minimum stay etc. If your trip does not meet the restrictions of the I fare, such as a relatively last minute 4-5 day trip, then the best chance you have for an economical BE seat is a Z upgrade. This promo gives you that upgrade for free instead of a PMU or 25,000 miles OW.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
insanely offensive to the Plats... now someone can go earn a Delta mile non-BIS... and effectively have the same as a Plat on an Int'l flight.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
insanely offensive to the Plats... now someone can go earn a Delta mile non-BIS... and effectively have the same as a Plat on an Int'l flight.
Somebody could always do this---they just had to earn 25K non-BIS. Not hard at all these days the way DL gives away SkyMiles.

To me, the only folks who should really be put out are those who already cashed in their PMUs for flights in the window and can no longer get them back. For me, I'm just delighted to see reasonable Z inventory levels again. I've got a drawer full of almost two dozen PMUs from my years as a PM that I could never find a use for.

And for those of you saying this is a non-event given the existence of I fares, I suggest that you've got a very restricted view of DL's routes. The two trips I upgraded with his deal have M/B fares in the 3K range, but the I fares (which don't work for me anyway since I have stopovers) are over 6K.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL PM MM
I called SMS on an unrelated matter today, and she asked me if I wanted to upgrade my M fare flights to AMS for next week. I had just gone to my local airport and turned in 4 PMU certs to upgrade my daughter & myself. She assured me that I could get them back, because the tickets had not been re-issued. When I asked her how I would get the PMU's back, she didn't know. She said she "thought" they would come in the mail.

I bet it takes an act of Congress to get them back. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Dorlee
I called SMS on an unrelated matter today, and she asked me if I wanted to upgrade my M fare flights to AMS for next week. I had just gone to my local airport and turned in 4 PMU certs to upgrade my daughter & myself. She assured me that I could get them back, because the tickets had not been re-issued. When I asked her how I would get the PMU's back, she didn't know. She said she "thought" they would come in the mail.

I bet it takes an act of Congress to get them back. Any suggestions?
Head back to the airport and see if you can still catch the agent to whom you handed them? Otherwise I suspect they are gone for good.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Somebody could always do this---they just had to earn 25K non-BIS.
if someone is going to spend the time/money to earn 25000 miles... great.... 1 mile is ludicrous...

let's call it the "free platinum status for int'l flights with no mileage bonus" program
Old Jul 3, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
I am a Plat and I don't find this offensive! I have a last minute trip from ZRH back to the US tomorrow and booked an M fare with the Z upgrade for 2 miles roundtrip and saved over $1500 over the lowest "I" fare and 49,998 miles.......Not offended at all....
Old Jul 3, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
If this promo has the desired effect of incenting folks to buy up to YBM, then this PM is not at all offended. This summer, I've found plenty of Z inventory to go around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.