Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Q&A Meeting with Execs - NOTES

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2009, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ADLFO
If memory serves, I believe the stated goal is to combine the EQMs and MQMs on October 1.
Jeff said the target date for SkyMiles and WorldPerks integration was October 1, 2009.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL
Thank you for posting this me4yankees! Interesting information about the website and the SM/WP merger. Hopefully the next time there is an event similar to this, different speakers on the fleet, airports, in-flight, etc. will be speaking. Good job from the perspective of a person that wasn't at the event.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by me4yankees
If memory serves, I believe the stated goal is to combine the EQMs and MQMs on October 1.
Jeff said the target date for SkyMiles and WorldPerks integration was October 1, 2009.
Yes, so if the FFer programs are combined, wouldn't the MQMs and EQMs also be combined?
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:50 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Yes, so if the FFer programs are combined, wouldn't the MQMs and EQMs also be combined?
I would say yes because it was said that Million Miler balances from both frequent flier loyalty programs will be combined.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I would think so!
Old Jul 3, 2009, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I would say yes because it was said that Million Miler balances from both frequent flier loyalty programs will be combined.
They only did that to tweak Mikey1003's nose.
^
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by atldlff
Those were Jeff's words on his slides, and the actual comments that he made. He even went as far as to apologize to the Delta employees in the room when he said, "there is no reason that a BE seat should go out empty or go to a non-rev, when an elite customer has been on the waitlist for weeks."

This has been one of my personal issues too. It was extremely good news, and he committed to getting this addressed. I can tell you that he was absolutely sincere and straightforward in his approach to address this issue. I am firmly convinced it will get fixed, just be patient.
It is broken but only because DL management is happy enough with the way it is broken for DL management for now. If DL management set aside its bugbear concern about revenue cannibalization, then it would not take more than a simple procedural modification of agents' intervention in order to accept PMUs on the day of departure too.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
As for why someone who doesn't fly should keep their miles... I know of people who flew often and banked miles for their retirement years. They treat it as a bank account in a way. Now, I'm not saying that is smart, but I've read of many people on FT who do the same.
When I worked for Uncle Sam my miles sat banked, the balance rolling up and up. You can't use them for personal use (but there are provisions to use them to upgrade another trip on official business). When I no longer worked for the US Governement I started redeeming awards. I just made sure to have activity to keep the miles from being deleted. Thanks to those miles STILL sitting in my AA account last year I was able to do the 40K economy award to South America; open jaw to Bolivia and return from Buenos Aires.

I still have many friends in civil service or on active duty that are banking their miles for retirement days.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by avidflyer
They are a liability and need to be accounted for in some way. I am honestly not sure how they do it but they must.
There is indeed very good reason to consider the FFP operator's available cash to make good on its marketed commitment to FFP customers. Available cash to pay for award ticket redemption demand is indeed a critical element in determining the going-concern possibility/valuation of the FFP/FFP unit. Declining available cash -- including for internal budget allocation for FFP redemption -- is indeed a warning sign for the FFP customers and FFP operator's shareholders.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by spartacus

I still have many friends in civil service or on active duty that are banking their miles for retirement days.
Many of them may benefit by re-evaluating the circumstances and also realizing that some rules have changed that have substantially relaxed in this area. Customers wedded to DL-NW miles and banking those DL-NW miles for the long-term is to make the mistake of marrying a high-risk situation with an unnecessarily lower-reward scenario given the nature of DL management.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by spartacus
When I worked for Uncle Sam my miles sat banked, the balance rolling up and up. You can't use them for personal use (but there are provisions to use them to upgrade another trip on official business). When I no longer worked for the US Governement I started redeeming awards. I just made sure to have activity to keep the miles from being deleted. Thanks to those miles STILL sitting in my AA account last year I was able to do the 40K economy award to South America; open jaw to Bolivia and return from Buenos Aires.

The law changed in December of 2001 to allow personal use of FF miles earned on government purchased tickets. Did it change back at some point?

It was always an unfathomably stupid rule, because there was no way to have two FF accounts, one for personal purchased leisure travel, and another for government purchased official travel tickets. And the asinine theory of using FF miles to purchase official travel tickets when the law mandated SATO/GTO/GSA tickets was another bit from Bizzaro.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by meh130
The law changed in December of 2001 to allow personal use of FF miles earned on government purchased tickets. Did it change back at some point?
It hasn't changed back for federal government employees -- the relaxation of rules on the use of FF miles acquired from government-paid travel has remained the same since about that time.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:19 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

FWIW on this mileage expiration topic, I'm a member of Best Buy's reward program. They automatically send me a $20 cert for every 2k points (or something like that). The catch is that the cert expires about two months (or less) from issue. I just didn't make it to Best Buy, so the points are gone, the cert is worthless. Just another example to add some perspective to how FFP programs differ.

Last edited by jbatl; Jul 6, 2009 at 12:20 am
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jbatl
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

FWIW on this mileage expiration topic, I'm a member of Best Buy's reward program. They automatically send me a $20 cert for every 2k points (or something like that). The catch is that the cert expires about two months (or less) from issue. I just didn't make it to Best Buy, so the points are gone, the cert is worthless. Just another example to add some perspective to how FFP programs differ.
Best Buy has not changed the expiration dates on those buyer program certificates after having marketed a given expiration date on them -- DL however has a history of playing games with expiring miles and doing so in misleading ways that Best Buy has not done when it comes to the Best Buy frequent buyer coupons you mentioned.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 2:15 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by jbatl

NW used to do that as well -- every 20K EQM you'd get two "Fly Writes" in the mail, each good for a domestic Y one way. They expired in two years. The only trick to extend them was to trade a bunch in for an international ticket, which was good for a year. But you also knew that upfront and as long as I was traveling with them they never fiddled with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.