Delta Q&A Meeting with Execs - NOTES

Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Just to take one example, the safety cards need to be replaced. NW and DL had different emergency procedures. When opening over-wing doors on MD88's, the DL procedure is to put the door on the seat. On the D90's, the NW procedure is to toss it out the window. I'm not saying either method is better- both have their advantages and drawbacks. But the former NW FA's are currently going through training to learn the DL methods, and these things have to be unified and made consistent. They can't train the FA's to do one thing and have the safety cards show something else, so the cards have to be replaced in the current time frame...
My recollection from the pretend-737's in RWT is that we were told to put the door on the seat; if indeed they do chuck it on the MD-90's they certainly are capable learning both ways. Ultimately all FA's should be qualified for all types.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
My recollection from the pretend-737's in RWT is that we were told to put the door on the seat; if indeed they do chuck it on the MD-90's they certainly are capable learning both ways. Ultimately all FA's should be qualified for all types.
DL is door-on-the-seat for both. NW is chuck-it-out-the-window.

Both methods have advantages and disadvantages, but it's best to standardize on one method, and reflect that method in both training and printed materials.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)

Both methods have advantages and disadvantages, but it's best to standardize on one method, and reflect that method in both training and printed materials.
Is there perhaps something different in the exit row seating or spacing between the MDs and the DC-9s that would explain the difference?

David
Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:44 pm

I think that the consensus was that, in the event of an emergency, it all came down to what was most justifiable at the time. DL FA's are trained to keep the window on the seat but could end up chucking it if that made more sense.

I specifically mentioned that I'd just throw it out the window because there would be little chance of blocking the pax egress that way.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WBurcham
I specifically mentioned that I'd just throw it out the window because there would be little chance of blocking the pax egress that way.
Just make sure it won't trip people out on the wing, or slide off and hit the emergency responders. And if it stays inside, make sure it doesn't block the pax. Neither one is a very good option, and IIRC some of the newer MD-90s's have it slide upwards on hydraulics?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Thanks to those who were able to attend for passing along the notes. It is one thing to read speculation and concepts from various sources but another to see it consolidated in this thread. I would have liked to have gone, but could not (due to travel).

I am impressed with the effort and energy that DL put into the event. That itself says a lot.

Thanks.

Last edited by bwhite; Jul 15, 2009 at 5:41 pm
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Just make sure it won't trip people out on the wing, or slide off and hit the emergency responders. And if it stays inside, make sure it doesn't block the pax. Neither one is a very good option, and IIRC some of the newer MD-90s's have it slide upwards on hydraulics?
To my knowledge, all MD-90s have plug doors that must manually be opened/removed.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxf24
To my knowledge, all MD-90s have plug doors that must manually be opened/removed.
My bad. I can't recall what plane this was. Can anyone else remember?

Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
So if we hit the number (whatever that is) say, in August we will have to wait until Mar 1 2010? I kind of figured that anyway as it is new but was hoping they would treat it like they do for existing tiers; awarded immediately AND good for the next year.
Assuming they can program the computers correctly by then
Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
My bad. I can't recall what plane this was. Can anyone else remember?

737-800/900 series if I recall correctly. Wish that was the design on all of the planes.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by atldlff
737-800/900 series if I recall correctly. Wish that was the design on all of the planes.
Yep, 737-800/700/900 trainer that Gargoyle was very helpful in resetting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.