Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

A thank you from Gogo to Delta SkyMiles members

A thank you from Gogo to Delta SkyMiles members

Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
The unit is around 50lbs, including wiring. They use CDMA technology. In speaking with one of our fellow FT'ers who has used the service, he described it as no different than his broadband service at home. That's really impressive.

Darren was soliciting question about what we would like to see available, and some suggestions about different pricing plans were put forth. A common consensus was that we would not like to see VOIP service (Skype, etc) and have annoying passengers blabbing on their phone during an entire flight.

Darren- thanks again for a great presentation and the discounts. And thank you for the wonderful meal last nite!
Old Jun 27, 2009, 7:00 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Although I was not present at the DO, I DO PLAN to try GOGO Inflight next week due to your VERY GENEROUS 50% off offer.

Thanks very much!
Old Jun 27, 2009, 8:07 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I want to add my thanks to GOGO for hosting the dinner on Thursday night
Old Jun 27, 2009, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jcherney
The unit is around 50lbs, including wiring. They use CDMA technology. In speaking with one of our fellow FT'ers who has used the service, he described it as no different than his broadband service at home. That's really impressive.
Yes and no. The latency is much higher than a traditional broadband service (other than the satellite versions) but for most usage that won't really be noticed. It is noticeable on terminal server/Citrix connections and the like but general email, web browsing and IM conversations wouldn't generally be affected.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by jcherney
A common consensus was that we would not like to see VOIP service (Skype, etc) and have annoying passengers blabbing on their phone during an entire flight.
Yes, please block such sites -- don't leave it up to the good will of the passengers or put the FAs in a position where they have to enforce it.

My question, however, is when you will start this service on trans-oceanic flights? After all, given their length, that is where it is most needed.

Until Boeing decided to stop offering it, El Al had it across the water so apparently there is no technological problem.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Dovster
Until Boeing decided to stop offering it, El Al had it across the water so apparently there is no technological problem.
I used it on a KE flight, and there was a dead spot about 3/4 of the way to ICN. Other than that, it worked pretty well. I was playing a FT poker tournament when it cut out, though.

Skype worked well, too. The problem with blocking VOIP, is that there are almost always a way around the block.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:44 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The problem with blocking VOIP, is that there are almost always a way around the block.
Possibly, but putting up a block would at least restrict it to the more computer-savvy travelers, making it much easier for FAs to enforce the ban.

I do a lot of traveling on Israeli trains and half the people aboard have their cellphones going for the entire trip. On my last trip, one couple sat together, each with their cellphones out, calling everyone they knew to announce that they were on their way to the airport.

On another ride, a businessman was giving instructions to his secretary to pass on to a number of employees.

Is this really what you want to hear across the ocean?
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't want to hear anything while traveling. Once the door closes, nothing would please me more than a cone of silence. Instead of the non-smoking sign, they should replace it with a STFU logo.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I don't want to hear anything while traveling. Once the door closes, nothing would please me more than a cone of silence. Instead of the non-smoking sign, they should replace it with a STFU logo.
Is that symbol the "speak no evil" monkey with his hands covering his mouth?
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ADLFO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Is that symbol the "speak no evil" monkey with his hands covering his mouth?
Oh, that'd be the civil one. Maybe a big X over the mouth with electrical tape, or duct tape if you want the job done right. Don't forget to cover the nose, so we don't get any nasal whining.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
GoGo heard us loud and clear about the fact that we don't want VOIP, and they indicated that they agree.

As to service outside the CONUS, first they want to get complete service domestically- get ALL the planes equipped, and make sure their network is handling everything flawlessly. I forget the numbers they posted, I belive they've got about 1/3rd of the DL fleet equipped at this point.

When domestic is complete they'll start the int'l expansion.

They encourage using Hulu, slingbox, watching live sports broadcasts, so they must feel confident in thier bandwith. But they also have the onboard systems set up with caching,so that helps on the popular high bandwith sites.

Certain sites are available free, IIRC this includes Delta.com, frommers, and WSJ.

Sessions are transferrable, so if your laptop battery dies you can connect with your smart phone.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:38 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
My question, however, is when you will start this service on trans-oceanic flights? After all, given their length, that is where it is most needed.

There actually is a technological problem, in that they are different technologies.

Connexion by Boeing was a satellite based service. GoGo Inflight Wireless is a land tower based service. Primarily, Aircell is focused on the North American market for now because it holds the greatest share of worldwide air travel. During the presentation, it was explained that service may reach as far as 200-300 miles offshore, so flights to the Caribbean and South America would experience connectivity (to a certain extent), but their goal is to provide service in North America, especially the US.

One of the biggest differences between GoGo and Connexion is that Connexion added 800lbs+ of weight to an aircraft and could take several days to install - meanwhile, GoGo is installed overnight in a matter of hours, and as mentioned upthread, the equipment only weighs about 50 lbs. That's how Delta is implementing it system-wide so quickly.

I came away from the event on Friday with a very positive attitude towards the benefits of GoGo and their attitude on really providing an exceptional service to flyers at a low cost. With that said, I do know that Row 44, the service that WN is using to test inflight wireless, is satellite based. While weighing less than Connexion, it is still several hundred pounds of equipment. I don't know what kind of contracts Delta has with Aircell/GoGo, but perhaps they might consider using Row 44 for services on their international flights on A/C that you'd (almost) never find flying a domestic route - such as a 777LR.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Possibly, but putting up a block would at least restrict it to the more computer-savvy travelers, making it much easier for FAs to enforce the ban.

I do a lot of traveling on Israeli trains and half the people aboard have their cellphones going for the entire trip. On my last trip, one couple sat together, each with their cellphones out, calling everyone they knew to announce that they were on their way to the airport.

On another ride, a businessman was giving instructions to his secretary to pass on to a number of employees.

NO. Same thing happens in Spain on the RENFE system. I want to scream everytime I hear someone's cellphone go off when I am just dozing off.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:25 pm

Thanks for dinner at the DO!

I checked out your service on MD88: 06/27/09 943p - 1125p ATL - IND DL 1544/NW 9253 - but only to do some stuff on www.nwa.com and www.delta.com (so it was free - thanks!).
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:51 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I would like to add my thanks for Gogo for hosting the dinner at Prime, as well as offering a nice discount for Delta forum FlyerTalk members.

Gogo has been taking proactive measures to help benefit the Delta forum FlyerTalk community, and it is greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Certain sites are available free, IIRC this includes Delta.com, frommers, and WSJ.
There is the possibility of adding www.flyertalk.com to that list of Internet web sites that would be accessible for free...

...and no, this is not second-hand information...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.