Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Methodology

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion
Upgrade Methodology

So my business partner and I are both PMs and bought T class tix to EWR from ATL at the same time. I am #1 on the upgrade list and he is #2. However, year to date, he has 60,000 MQM, I only have 50,000 MQM. His trailing 12-month MQM is higher than mine. He is also sitting on more skymiles in his account than I (if this is a factor). Why the heck am I ahead of him on the waitlist? I'm not complaining...just trying to learn the system. Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:33 am

As per Delta's explanation of this in the complimentary upgrade section of the website. " if medallion level and fair class are the same then time of ticketing is the tie breaker".
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion
Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:07 am

That's a common misconception. Accrued YTD mileage and how many miles you're "sitting" on play no part in the upgrade game. Only fare class, your status, and ToT.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by ATLTraveler2
As per Delta's explanation of this in the complimentary upgrade section of the website. " if medallion level and fair class are the same then time of ticketing is the tie breaker".
This is why I always book my trip, then tell my coworker what flights I chose. He is also PM but I ticket ahead so I am higher on the list. Sneaky but it works
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bwhite
This is why I always book my trip, then tell my coworker what flights I chose. He is also PM but I ticket ahead so I am higher on the list. Sneaky but it works
I hope you at least try to make it up to him by bringing him a cocktail or bag of chips to his seat in cattle class. Hehe.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Interesting that the OP should have thought that current mileage accumulation was not unlikely to be a factor in the upgrade process on DL.

For years, "how much has he flown with us lately" was a determinant used by America West when upgrades were being allocated. Prior to the merger with US, I had never heard of that type of method being used by any airline.

However, in my last days as a US CP, it was mentioned on FT that the HP guys were absolutely committed to putting that into the US procedures. I do not know if that actually did happen, but I might guess that the OP may originally be from out west somewhere and at one time possibly was a steady customer of HP before the takeover of US.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:33 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
That's funny - I do the same exact thing.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by monitor
Interesting that the OP should have thought that current mileage accumulation was not unlikely to be a factor in the upgrade process on DL.

For years, "how much has he flown with us lately" was a determinant used by America West when upgrades were being allocated. Prior to the merger with US, I had never heard of that type of method being used by any airline.

However, in my last days as a US CP, it was mentioned on FT that the HP guys were absolutely committed to putting that into the US procedures. I do not know if that actually did happen, but I might guess that the OP may originally be from out west somewhere and at one time possibly was a steady customer of HP before the takeover of US.
I thought NW took into account how much you've flown that year? Not sure if they do that any more.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jfulcher
I thought NW took into account how much you've flown that year? Not sure if they do that any more.
I would think that they never did since for many years I almost always got upgraded on NW as a CO Plat never having bought a ticket from them.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Originally Posted by jfulcher
That's funny - I do the same exact thing.
Now if your partner had a DL Reserve card would that move him above you? (does that trump time?)
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by brazzleman
Now if your partner had a DL Reserve card would that move him above you? (does that trump time?)
yes.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 2:48 am

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
In the past, I've lost out on upgrades by reason of YTD MQM. Maybe that changed recently, but I thought it was a criterion in the not-too-distant past.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:32 am

Not for complimentary domestic upgrades. I think it can come into account for op-ups and the such. As long as we've been maintaining a list here MQMs has never been a factor.

Also MM is no factor either.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:06 am

Programs: DL DM MM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
Does it ever backfire on you when you buy the last K fare and he gets a Q?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.