Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

What is the easiest way to get Skymiles First class to Hawaii using coach miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the easiest way to get Skymiles First class to Hawaii using coach miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

What is the easiest way to get Skymiles First class to Hawaii using coach miles? I have flown the Phl-Atl-Hnl first class since the 747 started service. It really is better than everyone makes it out to be. I came across this fare by chance. It just happened to be available for the dates I needed. But, is there a 'trick' to finding ALL available flights. Thanks
Old Jun 7, 2009, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by konakuzo
What is the easiest way to get Skymiles First class to Hawaii using coach miles? I have flown the Phl-Atl-Hnl first class since the 747 started service. It really is better than everyone makes it out to be. I came across this fare by chance. It just happened to be available for the dates I needed. But, is there a 'trick' to finding ALL available flights. Thanks

...What?

I have no idea what your asking. Are you asking how to upgrade to FC using miles from a purchased coach ticket? If so, what fare did you purchase?
Are you asking how to get FC on a coach award ticket?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
Question

Coach Miles??? Thats a term I've not heard off.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

I, too, am baffled by OP's question. Hope he/she returns to clarify.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:36 am
Original Poster

clarification

I thought my original post was long-winded, but obviously I did not include enough info. I purchased a skymiles ticket to HNL in Feb 09. I searched for a 'coach class ticket'. When the availability screen was shown to me, there was an arrow at the top of the selection screen said 'of the flights listed below the cheapest flight of the day may be first class'. Which was correct. For 57,500 I was able to book PHL-ATL-HNL first class. There were more expensive tickets to be had on this screen, but they were all coach choices. My return trip was coach HNL-MSP-PHL as that was the best option available for the day I had to come back. How do I find this for my next trip. Is there an easier way than searching (one set of dates) at a time until I find this 'first class arrow' again. Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I assume you went F on the outbound and Y on the return (given the miles paid)? You might want to just search for different F/Y combinations manually using the (somewhat unreliable) calendar. I did the same with a Y outbound and F return, which seems to make more sense if sleep is any priority... that said, I'd avoid the B747 in Y if at all possible.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
Your clarifcation makes more sense. Basically what the website was telling you was that coach Skysavers were sold out for the flight you picked for the outbound. Fortunately it was able to find a skysaver F ticket instead.

Normal skysaver rates to HNL are 40k for coach and 75k for First. What you ended up paying was half coach and half first or 57,500 miles. That was not really any kind of a deal, it is perfectly normal pricing. The other higher prices you saw were skychoice(or whatever it's called now) which have greater availability but cost significantly more miles (as you saw).

If you want to fly F just search for F, if the seats are available, it will give it to you for 75k.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inagaddadavida
Your clarifcation makes more sense. Basically what the website was telling you was that coach Skysavers were sold out for the flight you picked for the outbound. Fortunately it was able to find a skysaver F ticket instead.

Normal skysaver rates to HNL are 40k for coach and 75k for First. What you ended up paying was half coach and half first or 57,500 miles. That was not really any kind of a deal, it is perfectly normal pricing. The other higher prices you saw were skychoice(or whatever it's called now) which have greater availability but cost significantly more miles (as you saw).

If you want to fly F just search for F, if the seats are available, it will give it to you for 75k.
I didnt realise I was being charged 'half coach half first'. As there were other more expensive options offered but they were coach each way. I checked the same route and dates using the first/business option and could only come up with 75k (F both directions). I didnt undertand it until now. Thank you for the clarification.

Now, how do I find the same thing (F outbound coach return) without searching each day one at a time. Is there an option that I am missing that will let me search for this.

Again thanks
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Are you planning on sleeping during the return flight? If so, F on the return seems like it would make much more sense. I'm not crazy about the WBC seats for sleeping (the angle bothers me) but I'd take it over Y any day of the week.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Now, how do I find the same thing (F outbound coach return) without searching each day one at a time. Is there an option that I am missing that will let me search for this.
Most people would just cough up the miles and fly F both ways . . .

There is no search that allows you to specify F one-way and Y the other at this time. You would have to search for F both ways and see what is available on the outbound (ignoring the return since you don't want F on it), then search for Y both ways and see what is available on the return (ignoring the outbound since you don't want Y on it). After you determine what is available, you would have to pick up the phone and call to do the booking, since you can't split the two awards during the online booking process (unless, as it did in your first case, it just happens to offer you that as the overall lowest option).
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:57 pm

I have found that these half coach half first itineraries are usually just a few miles less than first both ways. Spend another 5k-15k and fly first both ways. They are your miles.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat

If you use the nwa.com award search function you can pick Y for one direction and F for the other.

If you link your NW and DL frequent flyer accounts, then you can transfer the DL miles over there to redeem if you find an itinerary you like.

Here's the link to combine accounts: http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/acctlink/
Old Jun 9, 2009, 8:49 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by inagaddadavida
If you use the nwa.com award search function you can pick Y for one direction and F for the other.

If you link your NW and DL frequent flyer accounts, then you can transfer the DL miles over there to redeem if you find an itinerary you like.

Here's the link to combine accounts: http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/acctlink/
Absolutely the best option. nwa.com shows both coach and first options, both perksaver and perkpass options, all on one screen. Unfortunately nwa.com will only last a few more months until delta.com unfortunately becomes the standard, then you will have to revert to looking day by day and once for coach then a second time for first class. Try to book award travel now using nwa.com before it ceases to exist (and no "partner airline fee" when booking on nwa.com like there is on delta.com).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.