Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Expiration Extension - 1 free mile posted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Expiration Extension - 1 free mile posted

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2009, 4:24 pm

There's a discussion over in another thread about this. The issue is that WP > SM transfers post as a "bonus", so it does not extend the expiration date of the account. You could transfer 100K WP miles to SM, then have them expire the next day.

The 1 mile posts as regular earning, so the expiration is extended.
Old May 29, 2009, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I received the 1 mile as well and here are my "stats":

1. US Address

2. Three NW transactions this year from January through February 2009, including a Gift Registry bonus, Mountains of Miles reward, and a mileage transfer from DL to NW. My last flight credited to NW was 16 Nov 2008.

3. My DL and NW accounts are linked.

4. I transferred 230 miles from DL to NW (see above), but not the other way around.

5. I have 33 flight segments on DL this year and none credited to NW.
Old May 30, 2009, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This looks to be the way Delta is implementing the (positive) change in the terms of the Worldperks/Skymiles linking.

The terms now say:
·The linking of a WorldPerks and SkyMiles account will extend the mileage expiration date on which your miles expire in your SkyMiles account. The SkyMiles account expiration date will be updated 4-5 weeks after SkyMiles and WorldPerks accounts are linked.
https://www.delta.com/skymiles/manag...unts/index.jsp

Originally, the terms said:

* The transfer of miles to a SkyMiles account will not reset or extend the mileage expiration date.
* The transfer of miles to a WorldPerks account will reset and extend the mileage expiration date.
I suspect they will do a sweep and use this one mile trick to implement the expiration date extension they say will be provided within 4-5 weeks. (Perhaps a monthly sweep.)
Old May 30, 2009, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Yea i got the 1 mile bonus, thank god, i transferred 5000 NW--> DL and the miles expired 2 weeks later. Wrote and called DL and they were merciless and even hung up the phone on me. Thought all was lost until today when I saw the miles magically reappear.

I'm glad they did the right thing but I've already been hurt by DL and will be using my miles and then leaving them soon.
Old May 30, 2009, 3:01 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
I transferred the 1 mile out of DL and into NW before they attempt to take it back
Old May 30, 2009, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
I transferred the 1 mile out of DL and into NW before they attempt to take it back
hee hee... me too

Here is my stats
Canadian address
A few deposits to DL this year
Transferred all miles to NW in early April, leaving a balance of ZERO, which is now a balance of 1
Old May 30, 2009, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrkymark
I'm glad they did the right thing
-Either someone in authority does have a conscience.
or
-Someone in Legal said, "whoa, we can't do that!".
Old May 30, 2009, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I have been monitoring my wife's (largely dormant) DL FF account... zero, zip, nada so far.

Starting to look like another one of those "we'll take care of some folks but not all" targeted DL promotions.

Considering the value of miles lost when DL expires someone's account, I would think that this current practice would put DL on a tenuous legal footing if someone who was not given the gratis 1 mile deposit lost a considerable accumulation of miles when his account was expired (trashed) by DL.
Old May 30, 2009, 10:09 am

All of my family's accounts got this credit, except one. They all had various degrees of activity, from none to plenty.

The one that did not get credit did not have a NW account linked (or even open for that matter), so sounds like this is Delta's gesture to extend expiration for those with NW accounts or NW->DL transfers.

Thanks Delta!
Old May 30, 2009, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have been monitoring my wife's (largely dormant) DL FF account... zero, zip, nada so far.
Is that account linked to her NW account? If not, you aren't going to get this posting. If you link it to a NW account, the new terms say that the DL account will get an updated expiration date within 4-5 weeks, probably with this 1 mile posting.
Old May 30, 2009, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Is that account linked to her NW account? If not, you aren't going to get this posting. If you link it to a NW account, the new terms say that the DL account will get an updated expiration date within 4-5 weeks, probably with this 1 mile posting.
Interesting... my accounts are linked and I have not received the magnanimous contribution yet.

We'll see what happens after I link my wife's newly created NWA account to her existing DL account.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Interesting... my accounts are linked and I have not received the magnanimous contribution yet.

We'll see what happens after I link my wife's newly created NWA account to her existing DL account.
Is NW still allowing people to create new accounts?
Old May 30, 2009, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Evan!
Is NW still allowing people to create new accounts?
Yep...https://www.nwa.com/cgi-bin/wp_enroll.pro?Country=US
Old May 30, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Okay, here's my next question. I have a friend with no NW account. Could he create one, rack up a few miles with some partner (even buy miles), link the two accounts, and get the 1K bonus for linking?
Old May 30, 2009, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Evan!
Okay, here's my next question. I have a friend with no NW account. Could he create one, rack up a few miles with some partner (even buy miles), link the two accounts, and get the 1K bonus for linking?
Yes. You'll get the linking bonus (I'm not sure if the current bonus is 500 or 1000). You can get a quick and easy 400 Worldperks miles through Worldperks University.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.