Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any update on SDC'ing to NW flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Any update on SDC'ing to NW flights?

Is it possible to SDC to NW flights? More specifically, if they have a DL code on them. I searched and couldn't find anyone with such an experience.
Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by DL4EVR
Is it possible to SDC to NW flights? More specifically, if they have a DL code on them. I searched and couldn't find anyone with such an experience.
Thanks for your help!
I did this last week. However, NW only offers standby, but it cleared so I was able to get to my destination earlier and with a friend who had booked an earlier flight.

You can even do it at the kiosk, free of charge, so it seems to be official.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Just a little update on this. Took the flight in question a few days ago and to say that SDC'ing was disastrous would be an understatement. When I called SMS they said I'd have to do it at the airport. Fine. The kiosk would not let me. When I went to the DL counter to check in, she checked me in but told me I'd have to go to the NW counter in order to SDC to a NW flight. The NW agent barely even spoke English, so not too much was done. When I got to the CRC, the agent tried the best she could but said she wouldn't be able to access the NW system and I'd have to go to the gate and they'd DEFINITELY be able to do it for me there.
At the NW gate, I encountered a semi-rude agent who said "Is this ticket even eligible?". (Um...is there any domestic ticket thats NOT eligible for SDC these days??). Upon ensuring her that it was, I was told that I couldn't SDC across airlines anyway so it wouldn't matter. All in all a very disappointing experience, and even though the CRC agent did everything she could, the fact that I got a different answer from nearly every employee I spoke to shows that they are doing a REALLY bad job informing employees as to what the policies are.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
The systems overlap is still causing issues with SDCs between carriers - if you're on NW-flown flights, you play by NW rules (FlyNow, which as an elite you can do free standby on any flight); if on DL-flown flights, you ply by DL rules (SDC). Again, it's a technology issue where PARS/DeltaMatic don't play nicely.

At the DO last week, it was mentioned that it is most likely that it's going to be DL rules (SDC) instead of NW rules post-integration - a big ^ from me, as I prefer getting to confirm my flights for free as a Plat rather than just getting to standby for free (as is the case on NW).
Old Jul 5, 2009, 5:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mersk862
Again, it's a technology issue where PARS/DeltaMatic don't play nicely.
I see it as more of a policy integration issue. While technology may be at the root of why a Delta employee could not make a change to a NW flight itinerary, it does not explain why a NW employee could not make a change to a NW flight. The only reason for the latter inability would be that it is against policy to do it, which would mean that the two carriers still have distinctly different policies in this regard.

It would seem like this would be one of the easier policies to standardize and implement immediately. It's amazing how fast some fees can be imposed in uniform fashion across the board, yet something like this drags on for quite a while.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
It's amazing how fast some fees can be imposed in uniform fashion across the board, yet something like this drags on for quite a while.
^+1
Old Jul 5, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM (Now Gold...)
Thanks for your help!
Yes (kind of). You can same-day-confirm on to only DL coded NWA operated flights, (Not NWA coded NWA flights) when traveling on 006 Delta ticket stock. That being said there must also be seat inventory in the delta system under the delta code share flight number.

PS&S is still not on top of this “policy” either in all regards but it can be done. Occasionally, I get the “You can’t SDC to a NWA operated flight”, but I ask for a supervisor or call back and the transaction is completed over the phone BEFORE I get to the airport. (As some have encountered, NWA employees at the airport have not been trained fully in Delta policies)
Old Jul 5, 2009, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Also, the one other way that you could do something similar to a SDC (at least on the return leg of the itinerary) is using NW's BUMP program (there's a long thread on it over on the NW forum). It might take a NW agent some prodding, but it's possible and they can reroute you onto a NW-metal itinerary (note that this works not only for Delta, but any carrier that NW has a ticketing agreement with; meaning if you're on AA on the way back home and want DL MQMs, you could bump onto NW).
Old Jul 5, 2009, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Just to clarify, these NW flights (LGA-PBI) are all operating with DL codes in addition to their NW ones.

My biggest problem wouldn't be the fact that you are not able to SDC from DL to NW or vice versa, it's the fact that NO ONE who works at Delta seems to have the correct answers!
Old Jul 5, 2009, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
My biggest problem wouldn't be the fact that you are not able to SDC from DL to NW or vice versa, it's the fact that NO ONE who works at Delta seems to have the correct answers!
Three weeks ago, the SC agent was able to SDC from DL onto NW. He spent a good 15 minutes on the phone to get it to work, but it was possible.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 7:29 pm

I have not yet had sucess doing this. I may have given up too easily as I didn't expect a positive result anyway.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mersk862
The systems overlap is still causing issues with SDCs between carriers - if you're on NW-flown flights, you play by NW rules (FlyNow, which as an elite you can do free standby on any flight); if on DL-flown flights, you ply by DL rules (SDC). Again, it's a technology issue where PARS/DeltaMatic don't play nicely.

At the DO last week, it was mentioned that it is most likely that it's going to be DL rules (SDC) instead of NW rules post-integration - a big ^ from me, as I prefer getting to confirm my flights for free as a Plat rather than just getting to standby for free (as is the case on NW).
Will the SDC onto any DL/NW flight opportunity begin in Oct when some sytems are aligned or will we have to wait much longer to apply the 3-hour advance SDC rule to all DL/NW flights?

Regarding the BUMP program, Ive never really understood it. Does this mean that I can show up at the airport with a CO itinerary, BUMP onto DL/NW and not pay any difference in fare? Would I be eligible for upgrades on the new DL/NW ticket? Why would they endorse it over if there were no problems on one's original flight?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Will the SDC onto any DL/NW flight opportunity begin in Oct when some sytems are aligned or will we have to wait much longer to apply the 3-hour advance SDC rule to all DL/NW flights?

Regarding the BUMP program, Ive never really understood it. Does this mean that I can show up at the airport with a CO itinerary, BUMP onto DL/NW and not pay any difference in fare? Would I be eligible for upgrades on the new DL/NW ticket? Why would they endorse it over if there were no problems on one's original flight?
BUMP is just for NW operated flights. I have a feeling the DL TAs would look at you funny if you tried this. No difference in fare is needed, when NW agrees to BUMP you, they are taking whatever revenue you paid and putting you on their metal. Where operations have been combined, try to get a former NW TA or I fear you won't be successful. You can only do this at the a/p, if you call res or even Chisholm, they won't be able to help you. Even some a/p NW TAs are clueless, but many know about the program. Yes, you are still eligible for battlefield u/g when you use the BUMP, but you will lose any elite u/g you may have gotten at your window and just put on the u/g list for the new NW flight if you are a NW, DL or CO elite. NW is unique in taking the revenue for same day tix from other carriers and doesn't need an endorsement from several carriers. (CO and DL for sure)

Look here for the full story: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...se-tix-nw.html
Old Jul 6, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by ADLFO
BUMP is just for NW operated flights. I have a feeling the DL TAs would look at you funny if you tried this. No difference in fare is needed, when NW agrees to BUMP you, they are taking whatever revenue you paid and putting you on their metal. Where operations have been combined, try to get a former NW TA or I fear you won't be successful. You can only do this at the a/p, if you call res or even Chisholm, they won't be able to help you. Even some a/p NW TAs are clueless, but many know about the program. Yes, you are still eligible for battlefield u/g when you use the BUMP, but you will lose any elite u/g you may have gotten at your window and just put on the u/g list for the new NW flight if you are a NW, DL or CO elite. NW is unique in taking the revenue for same day tix from other carriers and doesn't need an endorsement from several carriers. (CO and DL for sure)

Look here for the full story: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...se-tix-nw.html
Tried to do the GATO BUMP at MCO just yesterday from CO-NW. NW ticket agent told me she'd need a paper ticket, CO told me that'll be $50, please. No thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Tried to do the GATO BUMP at MCO just yesterday from CO-NW. NW ticket agent told me she'd need a paper ticket, CO told me that'll be $50, please. No thanks.
I totally believe that happened to you, but unless something has changed recently, that is unadulterated male bovine excrement on the part of the MCO TA. From someone who knows from the thread I cited earlier:

Originally Posted by NWA012
For now CO e-tickets do not need to be released. NW has access to all CO e-tickets and vise versa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.