Odds of an upgrade... 2 Jun 09 CVG-CDG Delta 44

Old May 29, 09, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF - DL

Can anyone tell... I want to use miles but called and said there were not seats open.

I have 55K to spare and am currently in Y class... Are there just no seats open or did i call the wrong number? I have no status as i just have 21000 MQM...

Thoughts?
Old May 29, 09, 2:59 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
As of now, there is indeed no "Z" inventory.
You might want to call 26-28 hrs before departure again, as currently, there are 15 seats left in Business.

Do you have the correct fare class to be eligible for an upgrade? L,T,U stc won't work, you need to be at least on a M fare.
Old May 29, 09, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM/2.8 MM; Hertz PC; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Rewards Silver
Upgrade

If in fact you have a full Y fare, it is only supposed to cost 15,000 miles one way.

Sadly, expertflyer shows that there is "0" Z inventory (Z is the class for PMU/mileage upgrades into BE).

I'd call "Delta Premium Sales and Service" (800-325-6330) and plead my case, and see if a supervisor could find you some Z inventory.
Old May 29, 09, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Lots of luck.

I'd bet it doesn't happen. DL will send the planes out with Biz half empty.

And in my experience (trying to get the domestic leg of an upgraded int'l itinerary to clear), they won't contact RM.

BTDT.
Old May 29, 09, 5:54 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.6MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by AF1811 View Post

Can anyone tell... I want to use miles but called and said there were not seats open.

I have 55K to spare and am currently in Y class... Are there just no seats open or did i call the wrong number? I have no status as i just have 21000 MQM...

Thoughts?
Tell them to put you on the standby list.
Old May 29, 09, 7:14 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer View Post
DL will send the planes out with Biz half empty
They will rather overbook the coach cabin by a significant number and put their PM, GM and FM's upfront if necessary. I.e. FRA-ATL or TXL-JFK currently allow for an overbooking rate of +32 in coach, other routes might have different figures. The BE cabin will then be filled-up with OpUp's.

Happend to Ms Berlinflyer, who is "just" FO on more than one flight recently.
Old May 30, 09, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

I called Delta Premium Sales and Service" (800-325-6330) and they said there was no Z seats open ANY routes into CDG (i can change my ticket to fly out of anywhere...)

Should i call back the morning of the flight? Talk to the rep in the Crown Room or wait til i get to CVG and plead my case to the gate agent?
Old May 30, 09, 9:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Starriott Ambassador, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst View Post
Tell them to put you on the standby list.
There is no such thing in the DL system for international flights using miles (or PMUs for that matter) to upgrade. It is expressly forbidden.
Old May 30, 09, 9:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Starriott Ambassador, National Exec Elite
(i can change my ticket to fly out of anywhere...)
If you can change your ticket to fly out of anywhere, then I would assume that you can change your ticket to fly into anywhere. I would look at Z inventory to London, Brussels, Amsterdam, or anywhere else that you could reach Paris from conveniently, and if it is available just book into that city instead of CDG, then interline or otherwise navigate to CDG from there.
Old May 30, 09, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Should i call back the morning of the flight? Talk to the rep in the Crown Room or wait til i get to CVG and plead my case to the gate agent?
Delta will close the upgrade list 24 hours before the flight. Don't wait.

Have you checked the price of the lowest business fare? They are sometimes only a couple of hundred dollars more than full-fare Y.

DLP
Old May 31, 09, 12:44 am
Original Poster

there is a 4K price difference between Y and J class...

Has anyone ever had any luck "talking" SMS into opening up Z class?
Old May 31, 09, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Called SMS back again. Spoke with a real nice lady that was able to help me out... Thank you guys for your advice and direction
Old May 31, 09, 1:20 pm

Called SMS back again. Spoke with a real nice lady that was able to help me out... Thank you guys for your advice and direction
I'm taking it that you got the upgrade? Z is showing availability.
Old May 31, 09, 3:19 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.6MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Robert Leach View Post
There is no such thing in the DL system for international flights using miles (or PMUs for that matter) to upgrade. It is expressly forbidden.
Maybe standby was the wrong word, I have in the past been "waitlisted". So if there is no current Z inventory, ask to be waitlisted.

Search this Thread