Coach or Business Class question

Old May 27, 09, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Coach or Business Class question

Is the difference between coach and business class on a 5 hour flight worth the extra miles on an MD88 aircraft (35000 miles each coach 60000 each business class)
Old May 27, 09, 5:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Starriott Ambassador, National Exec Elite
Only you can answer that question. It's all about how much those miles mean to you.

For me, the answer would be an unequivocal yes.
Old May 27, 09, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Note that, despite what DL calls it, this flight will not have a true business class section. They call it business class but it is really domestic first. The premium cabin on domestic flights that share flight numbers with international flights is called "business class."

Whether it is worth it depends on the time of day, nature of your trip, etc.

On a trip that I know is going to be hectic, first is worth it for the relative calm that the cabin provides. On a trip to a vacation spot (Hawai'i comes to mind), definitely no.
Old May 27, 09, 10:17 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Does an MD88 even have the range to fly for 5 hours?

What city pairs are you talking about? It would depend if the seats are standard domestic F or international business class.
Old May 28, 09, 5:57 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by Wiirachay View Post
Does an MD88 even have the range to fly for 5 hours?

What city pairs are you talking about? It would depend if the seats are standard domestic F or international business class.
2,050 nautical miles is the range of an MD-88 (according to wiki - here)

I think that could possibly take 5 hours. However I have never been on an MD-88 for that length of time.
Old May 28, 09, 6:05 am
Original Poster

RE

Thanks for your responses. The city pair is ATL to STX. I thought it was a small plane for such a long flight. Never flew Delta before so I am not sure of anything with them
Old May 28, 09, 6:51 am

Programs: Army Air- Triple Diamond, HH Diamond, DL Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by debarine View Post
Thanks for your responses. The city pair is ATL to STX. I thought it was a small plane for such a long flight. Never flew Delta before so I am not sure of anything with them
Like the previous post, it is really your decision. If you have a bunch of miles burning holes in your laptop, then go for it! They are standard 'First" class seats and the flight is listed at 4 hrs 3 minutes, 1638 miles. Me personally, it's a long enough flight to go for it.
Old May 28, 09, 10:39 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
No for me. I'd save them up for international upgrades. But if you're not one to fly internationally in Business Elite, I'd save up the miles for 2 coach tickets. Domestic F isn't worth it unless it's a long trans-con.

Search this Thread