Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Award Ticket Redemption Fees Waived for PMs & Delta Reserve AmEx Cardholders

Old May 26, 09, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AmEx DL Reserve Card, Marriott Rewards Platinum, SPG Platinum

I know there has been lots of chatter about Delta's recent decision to waive award ticket redemption fees for PMs and Delta Reserve AmEx Cardholders. I logged into my Delta Reserve account online today and saw a HUGE banner ad promoting "NO AWARD REDEMPTION FEES. THE BENEFITS YOU DESERVE."

The "LEARN MORE" button links to this page on the Delta website: http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...fees/index.jsp

What the "fine print" on the web page doesn't tell you is that these fee waivers are for award tickets redeemed on or after April 13, 2009 AND that the waivers only apply if the PM or Delta Reserve Cardholder are traveling on the award itinerary (all travelers must be in one record locator in order for the redemption fees to be waived on all tickets).

Sucks for me because I redeemed two award tickets in March for my daughter and her boyfriend ($75 redemption fee per ticket) PLUS I redeemed to award tickets for a vacation to Hawaii (ATL-KOA) which incurred a $25 award redemption fee per ticket since one of the legs is on a partner airline, Alaska Air.

Just wanted to let everyone know what the EFFECTIVE DATE of this new policy is...too late for me...I am already out $200.

ATLGal

Last edited by ATLgal; May 27, 09 at 7:12 am Reason: Meant to type "after" April 13th, not "before"
Old May 27, 09, 6:20 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM; SPG PLAT/Ambassador
Nobody else has commented on this? Is this the reversal in DL policy that we all had hoped?
Old May 27, 09, 6:43 am

Location: Marietta, GA, USA Delta PM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...e-waivers.html
Old May 27, 09, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM (MM), SPG/Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, LH Never Ever Again!
I wonder if anyone has tested the "2 free redeposits per year for PMs" yet. I did one redeposit a few months ago and according to the rules I have one left though there is no record of that visible in my profile at delta.com. I assume Delta is tracking it though. Has anyone used their two and tried for another? If so, were you charged or did you get it done for free?
Old May 27, 09, 9:26 am

Location: Marietta, GA, USA Delta PM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by woody125 View Post
I wonder if anyone has tested the "2 free redeposits per year for PMs" yet. I did one redeposit a few months ago and according to the rules I have one left though there is no record of that visible in my profile at delta.com. I assume Delta is tracking it though. Has anyone used their two and tried for another? If so, were you charged or did you get it done for free?
DL writes it in notes on your SM account.
Old May 27, 09, 9:54 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
NW told me earlier this month that the two free award ticket changes then $50/change after that was to be implemented on May 27th (today). But I haven't called to verify if that was indeed the case. It has been postponed multiple times already.
Old May 27, 09, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ATLgal View Post

What the "fine print" on the web page doesn't tell you is that these fee waivers are for award tickets redeemed on or after April 13, 2009 AND that the waivers only apply if the PM or Delta Reserve Cardholder are traveling on the award itinerary (all travelers must be in one record locator in order for the redemption fees to be waived on all tickets).

ATLGal
I don't think that the policy above is enforced . I booked an award ticket for a friend this past Friday for a flight the day after and was only charged $5 for taxes (I was not on the itnerary). My friend does not have any airline status or have a Delta Amex credit card. I myself have a Delta Platinum Amex.
Old May 27, 09, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM; SPG PLAT/Ambassador
I redeposited ~300k miles about six weeks ago and had to pay to pay a fee....i'm PM
Old May 27, 09, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by zedthedeadpoet View Post
I redeposited ~300k miles about six weeks ago and had to pay to pay a fee....i'm PM
NW charged me a redeposit fee as well for miles for an international upgrade that I cancelled. No luck with the agent but I called back and talked to a supervisor and they refunded it.
Old May 28, 09, 4:36 am

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I thought the award redemption fee which was due to high gas price was waived for everyone now, not just for PM or credit card holder.

The fee started Aug 2008.
Old May 28, 09, 10:04 am

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by woody125 View Post
If you did it a few months ago, perhaps you did it before the effective date which was March 1st. You have to call SMS for the free redeposit and they will process it for you. If you try to cancel and redeposit online, I believe you will be charged the fee even if you are entitled to a free redeposit.

Originally Posted by zedthedeadpoet View Post
Had you already used your two free redeposits?

I did get one favor done. I had an itinerary booked prior to the announcement. I left it in place because I mistakenly believed that since they said two reservations that I could make multiple changes to that reservation and that would only count as one. It turns out that you get two changes period. Though if you have multiple folks on one reservation, you can change them all at once and that counts as one.

I complained by e-mail that the change was poorly explained and that existing reservations should have been grandfathered. After a couple of exchanges, I was given an exception and a redeposit was done which is not supposed to count against the two allowed changes.

I have saved those e-mails just in case......

David
Old Jun 29, 09, 4:55 pm

Fee waiver applies for NWA awards as well?

Does anyone know if the redemption fee waiver for Platinum and Delta Reserve amex cardholders apply for awards made <21 days through Norhwest using world perks program as well?

Thanks

Search this Thread