Has anyone flown the new flat seats on 767-400?? HELP!!

Old May 25, 09, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: you name it, i have it
Has anyone flown the new flat seats on 767-400?? HELP!!

The seat map on my flight just changed -- has anyone flown the new lie flat seats -- Can you recommend a "best" row? I checked seat guru, but other than row 1 they all seem the same.

It appears that every other row (even rows) are not near the window. Can any row actually look out of the window anymore? I like looking out the window...

Leaving soon -- please advise if you have some experience with this new seat!!
Thanks!!!
Old May 25, 09, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by dlfrflyer View Post
The seat map on my flight just changed -- has anyone flown the new lie flat seats -- Can you recommend a "best" row? I checked seat guru, but other than row 1 they all seem the same.

It appears that every other row (even rows) are not near the window. Can any row actually look out of the window anymore? I like looking out the window...

Leaving soon -- please advise if you have some experience with this new seat!!
Thanks!!!

They haven't been out that long... and I'm sure if somebody would have we would have gotten a review about them here

Anyways, from what I've heard, window access is still there...you may just have to wrench your neck a bit
Old May 25, 09, 11:30 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Pictures (a little fuzzy) from ship 1804 posted by someone else:

http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.fil...phpGLCifI.jpeg

http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.fil...phpPHf8TC.jpeg

http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.fil...php9eT6QS.jpeg

As shown above, alternate row window seats are right next to the window; other rows will have the console/workspace area between your seat and the window, though you should still be able to look out of it.
Old May 25, 09, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM
dlfrflyer- No one that has flown the plane has been here to report on it. But odd numbered rows do have seats closer to the windows than the even numbered rows, so you might be better off on an odd row. But then again, the wide arm rest on an even row may make it nice to rest your elbows against while you look out the window. Though without any firsthand reports, there's no way to know for sure.

But many of us are anxious to hear more info about the new seats now that they're in use, so please come back and share your thoughts.

Last edited by 18sas; May 25, 09 at 1:02 pm
Old May 25, 09, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: you name it, i have it
Originally Posted by 18sas View Post
dlfrflyer- No one that has flown the plane has been here to report on it. But odd numbered rows do have seats closer to the windows than the even numbered rows, so you might be better off on an odd row. But then again, the wide arm rest on an even row may make it nice to rest your elbows against while you look out the window. Then again, without any firsthand reports, there's no way to know for sure.

But many of us are anxious to hear more info about the new seats now that they're in use, so please come back and share your thoughts.
I promise to report in tomorrow -- Wish me luck!!
Old May 25, 09, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by dlfrflyer View Post
I promise to report in tomorrow -- Wish me luck!!
Good luck! Look forward to your report! Take pictures too, even if with a crappy mobile phone camera!

It would be great if you had a chance to chat with the F/A or even fellow passangers as to their thoughts!

A big concern a lot of people have based on the pictures is that the seats may not be that comfortable to SIT in...the varous segments look too "flat" so to speak in the seat configuration...also it isn't clear from the pictures how much actual padding there is on these seats...

Even if you don't sleep...try the bed position and let us know if you feet feel constricted....

Thanks in advance!
Old May 25, 09, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, US, UA, F9, Hertz, Avis
I flew it on Saturday, and with the caveat that the seats are still new (and therefore a bit buggy), I think the configuration is really nice.

On the right side of the plane, the odd-numbered rows have the best window access. The even numbered rows are technically window seats, but you have to lean across your storage area to see out the window. I can't say for sure how the left side of the plane is configured.

A couple of things I noticed:

1) The middle seats are MUCH better than the 777-200LR for companion travel. The window seats actually have window views, too.

2) The power plug is very easily accessible (finally!), and every seat has a large fixed table for resting laptops, reading material, etc.

3) The video screens are a bit larger than before on the other 767 configurations, but there don't appear to be many more options as far as entertainment goes.

4) My seat was a bit buggy and never really reclined completely flat, so I may have a mistaken impression, but the foot rest felt a bit odd - like both of my feet wouldn't fit completely on it. I think that if the seat had reclined completely it would have matched with the seat structure in front and been much more comfortable.

5) A bit of advice: Make sure your comforter is positioned the way you want it on your legs before you recline - it's nearly impossible to deal with while reclined because of the tight quarters where your legs are.

Sorry for the delay in getting this up - and for the lack of pictures.

Enjoy your flight!
Old May 25, 09, 6:59 pm

Thanks, Rob!

I was perplexed by the OPs concern about seeing out the window and by skoker's reply about wrenching your neck. But I think I understand the concern now, and that's that people think the new 764 flat-bed config is like the 777 herringbone config. That seems to be a common misperception over at a.net too.

The tight quarters in the footwell was probably the biggest rumored drawback. If it's fixable, hopefully it can be reevaluated in 2.0. But hopefully it's also live-with-able.

Two follow-up questions:
1) How was the seat comfort when not reclined?
2) If given a choice between the new seats and the old 764/763 BE seats, which would you choose?

Oh, OK, here's a third followup:
3) Which seat did you sit in? I want to avoid its bugginess.

Also, request to mods: Now that the OP has gotten the info he/she needs, can we merge this with one of the other threads on this topic? Like this one.
Old May 25, 09, 7:12 pm

*Super secret insider information*

There's three switches underneath the seat cushion that will reset the seats controls. They are *meant* to be used to put the seat in the U-L-P for T-T-L in the event of a control failure, but I've heard from a few seat junkies that you can use them to "realign" the seat in the event that it's not adjusting to the full limits.

~Disclaimer!~
With that said, DO NOT try these switches by yourself. If something is screwy with your seat, kindly ask a F/A if he/she could reset the seat and see if they are willing to do this. With that said, I haven't (stupidly) asked if by doing this you kaputz the seat or not, so like I said I'm just throwing this out for reference if y'all wanna tuck it in the back of your head.... I better not get any calls blaming me for when a seat is "broked" by a curious FT'er
Old May 25, 09, 7:30 pm

Ah, more super secret controls. I guess this will replace the old super secret "waaaay back" lever in 7E/F on the old 764 config.
Old May 26, 09, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM, US, UA, F9, Hertz, Avis
The tight quarters in the footwell was probably the biggest rumored drawback. If it's fixable, hopefully it can be reevaluated in 2.0. But hopefully it's also live-with-able.
It's probably not as bad as I've made it sound, but if you have big feet, it might be.

Two follow-up questions:
1) How was the seat comfort when not reclined?
Not bad at all. One of the best parts - for me at least - was the large shelf where I could rest things like newspapers, books, etc.
2) If given a choice between the new seats and the old 764/763 BE seats, which would you choose?
I'd definitely choose the new ones. Even if you don't recline all the way, they's more comfortable, and the direct aisle access is really nice.

Oh, OK, here's a third followup:
3) Which seat did you sit in? I want to avoid its bugginess.
I was in 9D.

skoker mentioned the "super secret controls" under the seat, and I think I saw a few FAs fiddling with those during the flight, but the FA I asked didn't seem to know anything, so I didn't bother again.
Old May 26, 09, 12:09 pm

Thanks, Rob. Just what I wanted to know. Glad that there's good positive feedback on this.

Just hope now that the other two ships which are supposedly being outfitted will be ready for my ATL-LHR on Jul 1.

Search this Thread