Wiki Posts
Search

Trick for finding LOW award LAX-SYD?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2009, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Trick for finding LOW award LAX-SYD?

As we all know the DL award calendar sucks dead goats through a garden hose. I looked at the award calendar for the next year and can't find a single LOW award ticket from LAX-SYD on the 777. All days are showing medium or high. Yes I didn't expect many low days, even 330 days out they are all medium.

Thanks to NWA I can find pretty easy availability on Korean, which I actually flew a few years ago. But I'd really like the non-stop 777 from LAX.

Any tricks for finding inventory? I'm a PM, but that doesn't seem to be helping my online search.

Is Delta really this stingy or the calendar just totally broke?
Old May 22, 2009, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Coach or Biz?
Old May 23, 2009, 5:00 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by yngdiego
Thanks to NWA I can find pretty easy availability on Korean, which I actually flew a few years ago. But I'd really like the non-stop 777 from LAX.

Is Delta really this stingy or the calendar just totally broke?
Yes DL is stingy. The calendar is worse.
A new flight, bad economy. Poor paid C travel.
All reasons to open up awards; not per Delta.

You can get to SYD on UA for 4k in paid C and earn DEQMs (~30k)
The cheapest DL miles = 1.1 c
At Medium awards 240k miles = 2640 + tax = 2750$ on DL,
with all restrictions.

Go on Korean
Old May 23, 2009, 5:54 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Just wait - they aren't loading a ton of cheap award inventory because they are hopeful the route will be popular. That's just my guess. On most routes except for some of these newer and/or popular ones I can generally find plenty of low in J & Y.
Old May 23, 2009, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Coach or Biz?
Biz, 1 ticket.
Old May 23, 2009, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by jfulcher
Just wait - they aren't loading a ton of cheap award inventory because they are hopeful the route will be popular. That's just my guess. On most routes except for some of these newer and/or popular ones I can generally find plenty of low in J & Y.
I agree. With DL jumping into this route, there will be a lot of capacity. Fares have had a huge drop. If there is lousy demand, I think DL will release more award seats.

OP, the 331 day rule no longer applies. DL has switched to a demand based model where seats are released throughout the year.
Old May 23, 2009, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
I agree. With DL jumping into this route, there will be a lot of capacity. Fares have had a huge drop. If there is lousy demand, I think DL will release more award seats.

OP, the 331 day rule no longer applies. DL has switched to a demand based model where seats are released throughout the year.
Right, I was aware of the elimination of the 331 day window. Guess I'll keep checking back.
Old May 23, 2009, 11:11 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
It's too early to tell on SYD, but to JNB (a similar once-a-day ULH route) the trend has been to open up seats fairly close to departure in the "Low" category. The problem is that you might find short notice seats outbound but be unable to find them on the return yet, so you're still sorta stuck.

Which is yet another reason to move toward the one-way awards like AA has done.
Old May 23, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Which is yet another reason to move toward the one-way awards like AA has done.
I agree. Roll out the ow awards please!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.