Non-stop international award booking

Old May 21, 09, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, KE Morning Calm
Non-stop international award booking

I am looking for an award ticket between ICN to ATL.

Delta has 3 non-stop flight weekly and KE provides daily non-stop service.

All flight options i am getting from Delta.com are one-stop at NRT or multi stops.

I tried March 2010 and same thing.

Q1: Does Delta block award seats on non-stop flghts?

Q2: will Delta allow one-way booking with 50% miles of the roundtrip?
Old May 21, 09, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO, DL, US, AS, CO, BA, LH, SQ, WN
Originally Posted by poohhead80 View Post
I am looking for an award ticket between ICN to ATL.

Delta has 3 non-stop flight weekly and KE provides daily non-stop service.

All flight options i am getting from Delta.com are one-stop at NRT or multi stops.

I tried March 2010 and same thing.

Q1: Does Delta block award seats on non-stop flghts?

Q2: will Delta allow one-way booking with 50% miles of the roundtrip?

Q1: Yes, nearly always. BUT, DL employees and uninformed supporters will tell you either that they don't do it (meaning they don't do it 100% of the time) or that "all of the seats that you want are already taken", which is an acknowledged lie when the seat map is 97% to 100% open.

For instance, 2 weeks ago and again less than one week ago I attempted to book PHXNRT using miles, in J. DL/NW would not book me PHXLAXNRT (the common sense route). They tried to force me PHXDTWNRT (3 time zones out of the way). So, just for yuckles on 2 different occasions I just tried to book DTWNRT. The result was...you guessed it...the only "available" seats on the originally attempted dates from DTW were DTWLAXNRT.

Q2: No.

There are many things about DL's failure causes that DL executives have not yet figured out and responded to to save themselves. The REALLY BIG one is, "Why do we then force someone onto two nonstops in order to keep them off one non-stop?"

Anne

Last edited by NoPlaceLikeHome; May 21, 09 at 9:16 pm
Old May 21, 09, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NoPlaceLikeHome View Post
Q1: Yes, nearly always.
Please tell the OP and the rest of us how you know this to be a fact. A primary source would be great.
Old May 21, 09, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA, BA, QR
Q1: Yes, nearly always. BUT, DL employees and uninformed supporters will tell you either that they don't do it (meaning they don't do it 100% of the time) or that "all of the seats that you want are already taken", which is an acknowledged lie when the seat map is 97% to 100% open.

For instance, 2 weeks ago and again less than one week ago I attempted to book PHXNRT using miles, in J. DL/NW would not book me PHXLAXNRT (the common sense route). They tried to force me PHXDTWNRT (3 time zones out of the way). So, just for yuckles on 2 different occasions I just tried to book DTWNRT. The result was...you guessed it...the only "available" seats on the originally attempted dates from DTW were DTWLAXNRT.

Q2: No.

There are many things about DL's failure causes that DL executives have not yet figured out and responded to to save themselves. The REALLY BIG one is, "Why do we then force someone onto two nonstops in order to keep them off one non-stop?"

Anne
i had the same experience - trying to book EWR-BOM, they try to route me EWR-ATL-BOM instead of EWR-BOM on CO. But if try ATL-BOM they try to route me ATL-EWR-BOM on CO !!! go figure !!!
Old May 21, 09, 11:21 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus
I think the answer may depend on whether you are trying to book business class or coach class seats. I only redeem my miles for coach seats and have little difficulty finding available seats for my destinations (on direct flights through ATL or JFK), provided I'm able to be flexible with my dates.

However, judging by some posts I've read, if you're trying to book business class you'll experience nothing but frustration, and become quite bitter about the whole process.
Old May 22, 09, 12:29 am

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K

Anne
I have occasionaly experienced the same quirks that you describe. I attribute them to the quality of the web site and the search engines (and not to a sophisticated conspiracy to frustrate the customers. I find it hard to believe that the guys who made the decision to keep the Delta web page and dump the NW web page are capable of devicing such an algorithm).
My solution is to call SMS and let the agent do the frustrating leg-work (well spent $25 IMHO). More often than not I end up with a BE saver award when the web site provides none.

DLP

Search this Thread