FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Delta Web Site time of day doesn't work (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/956932-delta-web-site-time-day-doesnt-work.html)

lwleedy May 21, 2009 2:57 pm

Delta Web Site time of day doesn't work

I've been platinum for several years and making reservations and never easily finding flights. If this is not the right place for the post please let me know.

I go to the web site and put in my dates and times. Then when I see the results they are not any order. If I put I want to fly out at 5:00 PM why do I see 8:00 AM flights? this is the first problem.

Second some flights are not listed. I can go to Expedia and find flights then go back into Delta's web site and muck around to finally find the same flights.

Why does this happen and how do I find what I want.

If I put in I want to leave at 5:00 PM I want to see flights from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. If I don't' care I'll put Any Time. I want to quickly see flights so I can get the reservations and go on to the next job. I used to call a travel agent and have them do all this but they don't exist anymore.

Thanks,
Lenny

clarence5ybr May 21, 2009 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by lwleedy (Post 11786756)
I used to call a travel agent and have them do all this but they don't exist anymore.

???? Simply not true. They aren't as ubiquitous as they used to be, but there are still plenty of TAs that will do your flight bookings for you. As the commission situation has changed drastically from 'back in the day', they will charge you for their services, but they certainly do still exist.

AndyTLe May 21, 2009 3:29 pm

OP, try searching by SCHEDULE. The system defaults to search by PRICE.

DisneyDude May 22, 2009 6:02 am

A definite area for improvement

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 11786931)

Which is what I do now, but I wish that you could see the end cost before you have selected the full itinerary. Often I will use Orbitz to do just that and then Delta.com to book, but sometimes Orbitz shows cheaper fares than I can get at Delta.com.

DeltaWebGuy May 22, 2009 7:36 am

The reason that happens....

Hi all--
The sort logic defaults to show nonstop flights first, sorted by time, then all other flights, sorted by total elapsed time. Click on the column headers to change how the flights sort. The logic here is that, in search by price with time of day selected, we want to show customers as many options to get the lowest fare as possible. But the column headers are a good tool for sorting by departure time, price, etc. The only reason flights would likely not show up is if they are sold out in the class of service requested...occasionally, there are so many connections possible in a market that we limit the number of options returned (always returning those that are available at the lowest prices)...so if there is something in particular you want, selecting "shop by schedule" should let you get to it. Also--please let me know if you spot a lower Delta fare published at any other website than delta.com has for the same flights, dates, class of service, etc. We take our Best Fare Guarantee very seriously!
Thanks,
Josh

AndyTLe May 22, 2009 7:44 am

Originally Posted by DeltaWebGuy (Post 11789642)
Also--please let me know if you spot a lower Delta fare published at any other website than delta.com has for the same flights, dates, class of service, etc. We take our Best Fare Guarantee very seriously!
Thanks,
Josh

Thank you for your posts and your help. But with all due respect, and this is for another completely different thread discussion, the BFG is a joke. Barring a mistake by Delta's computers, the constraints that DL places on the guarantee makes it impossible to collect on the guarantee. It is purely a marketing tool instead of a consumer friendly program.

DeltaWebGuy May 22, 2009 8:06 am

AndyTLe--if you'd like to start a Best Fare Guarantee thread, I know I'd appreciate feedback on how we might make the offer more appealing! Thanks--Josh

SomeGuy May 22, 2009 8:09 am

I can't remember if I posted about this or not...and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I want the Delta poster above to hopefully see this.

I am a total Delta loyalist. In early Feb I wanted to book a one-way ticket, DCA-ATL-SDF. I found the flights I wanted on ITA, so then I went to Delta.com to book. Not only could I not find the flights I wanted (leaving DCA at 5pm), I could not get the website to show me any flights leaving after 11am.

I called the Platinum line, and eventually the phone agent found the flights, but insisted that she would either have to charge me the $20 over the phone booking fee, or else send me through to web support. Sadly, I chose web support.

After being on hold for 15-20 minutes, I finally got through to the most unhelpful and unfriendly Delta employee I have ever had the misfortune of crossing paths with. I tried to explain and reason with this person, but got another 15-20 minutes of being told that what I wanted was impossible, that the flights I wanted did not exist, that what I was seeing didn't exist and that I was mistaken, all but called me a liar.

Finally, after 20 minutes of this, after many attempts, I finally convinced the website support person to look up the flights specifically by separate flight numbers. The agent was amazed that I was right, and they were there. According to ITA, the ticket should have been $118. The flight from DCA-ATL was coming in at $158. But, the agent said that if he booked the two flights as two tickets that were linked together, I could get the lower price. It totally made no sense, but after an hour on the phone, I really didn't care anymore, I just wanted it done.

I travel 300 days a year, as many other FTers do. No other website causes more hassles and problems than Delta's does. I even had more luck getting a USAir phone rep yesterday to allow a free change of flights. At the point where Delta loyalists are getting better service from USAir, where the website does actually show the times you want, then Delta really does need to look at the concerns and complaints of their customers.

lwleedy May 22, 2009 11:37 am

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 11786931)

unless there is another way I don't know. you have to make a reservation and then "Start Over" to get the schedule option.

It isn't available at the sign on screen.

Lenny

AndyTLe May 22, 2009 11:43 am

Originally Posted by lwleedy (Post 11790754)
unless there is another way I don't know. you have to make a reservation and then "Start Over" to get the schedule option.

It isn't available at the sign on screen.

Lenny

Above where you enter the Airport Codes, you'll find a link to "Full Search Options"

Or

From the homepage you can also go Planning & Reservations > Book a Flight

lwleedy May 22, 2009 11:50 am

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 11790796)
Above where you enter the Airport Codes, you'll find a link to "Full Search Options"

Or

From the homepage you can also go Planning & Reservations > Book a Flight

Thanks I didn't know you could do that I always did a search then clicked Start Over.

Now DeltaWebGuy, I want to see the fares when I do that search. There may be 2 or 3 flights around the same time but I can't see the fares unless I click on them.

For example there are 4 afternoon/evening flights from MSP to TPA on Friday evening. if I search by schedule I can't see the fares.

I can do all this in Expedia. I search and price the flights there then come back to Delta and book them.

Thanks again
Lenny