First Class Award, first segment in coach

Old May 19, 09, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2 Million Miler/Diamond; UA 1K Premier; Hyatt Platinum; Hilton Gold; National Executive Elite
First Class Award, first segment in coach

I know how NW handles this scenario but since my award ticket is on Delta and I'm a NW guy, I'd like someone's help on how DL handles this:

Booked First Class on award ticket SEA-SLC-MCO. SEA-SLC is in coach; SLC-MCO is in First Class. Will DL upgrade me at airport on SEA-SLC?
Old May 19, 09, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by n7371f View Post
I know how NW handles this scenario but since my award ticket is on Delta and I'm a NW guy, I'd like someone's help on how DL handles this:

Booked First Class on award ticket SEA-SLC-MCO. SEA-SLC is in coach; SLC-MCO is in First Class. Will DL upgrade me at airport on SEA-SLC?
That depends - why are you not in F already? Does the plane have an F cabin? I doubt they're going to upgrade you to the cockpit...
Old May 19, 09, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
It's probably a CRJ with one class of service. I have an award ATL-SLC-SMF with F ATL-SLC and a CRJ to SMF. Still better than buying a ticket.
Old May 19, 09, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
That depends - why are you not in F already? Does the plane have an F cabin? I doubt they're going to upgrade you to the cockpit...
I think the OP means the plane has F cabin, but no award seat available.
Old May 19, 09, 7:59 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
has the upgrades for award tickets gone live yet?
Old May 19, 09, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

You should be at the top of the upgrade list and get the seat before it starts going to elites.
Old May 19, 09, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2 Million Miler/Diamond; UA 1K Premier; Hyatt Platinum; Hilton Gold; National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
Are you trying to be funny - or you one of those people on here who jumps on anyone who posts who you think is below your IQ level?

The segment is on (2) DL mainline flights SEA-SLC-MCO. The ticket is 22,500 miles for First Class standard award, except the SEA-SLC is booked into 'N' class/Coach ; SLC-MCO into 'R' class/First.

Since it's a first class award ticket, will DL standby upgrade me on the first segment at the airport (if First is still available at that time).
Old May 19, 09, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.6MM, IHG Spire Elite
Are you trying to be funny - or you one of those people on here who jumps on anyone who posts who you think is below your IQ level?

The segment is on (2) DL mainline flights SEA-SLC-MCO. The ticket is 22,500 miles for First Class standard award, except the SEA-SLC is booked into 'N' class/Coach ; SLC-MCO into 'R' class/First.

Since it's a first class award ticket, will DL standby upgrade me on the first segment at the airport (if First is still available at that time).
OP: I think what he's trying to tell you is that your aircraft might be a CRJ 100 or 700 and they don't have first class. What type of aircraft is it for your flight?
Old May 19, 09, 10:43 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Delta Gold, Avis First, Hertz Gold Plus, Glee Club, Yearbook
When I looked at DL.com, assuming Friday, I saw 3 of 6 flights --6am, 715am, and 1pm-- with First cabins. The rest are CRJs. That may affect your cabin options.

Give Delta a call and ask what's up. If your flight has a first-class cabin, I can think of some things: all First-class award seats were taken before you finished your reservation; or the SEA-SLC first-class seats (medium) were in a higher award tier than your other flight (low), and that could have boosted your cost for the total flight.

But I'm completely guessing. Give Delta a call and let them explain it to you. If you picked a flight without a first cabin, you may have to pay for the change to a flight with an F cabin.

And really, we don't need the "cockpit" snarkiness. We're better than that.
Old May 20, 09, 7:22 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
I've run into this situation several times and it appears the policy is to move you to an F seat when one becomes available and someone notices (or has their attention focussed). It has even happened in ATL when final flight was changed to do late arrival and the protecting action of the computer put me in Y. I simply showed the entire itinerary to the GA and was moved to F immediately, even though there were still upgradies on standby.

And except for any morticians on the board I see nothing wrong with a bit of humor now and again. In fact I've been upgraded to the cockpit twice over the years, once for an entire flight (although not a scheduled flight).
Old May 20, 09, 7:22 am

>>> When I looked at DL.com, assuming Friday, I saw 3 of 6 flights --6am, 715am, and 1pm-- with First cabins. The rest are CRJs <<<

Actually...there are a total of 9 flights on Friday (the example) with First on 6 of the 9. I also picked a random Friday in June...and there are the same number of flights.
Old May 20, 09, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFirst View Post
OP: I think what he's trying to tell you is that your aircraft might be a CRJ 100 or 700 and they don't have first class. What type of aircraft is it for your flight?
737-800.
Old May 20, 09, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, WorldPerks, OnePass, RapidRewards
upgrade hassles

Back in the days of Song and the one cabin configuration on some Delta planes, I had upgraded with miles on a coach ticket from Europe back home. Got to ATL and discovered that the final leg from ATL to ABQ was in coach. When I asked the GA, they told me that the plane was configured for coach only (it was a 737). When I complained after I got home about "paying" full freight for first class all the way, they said they were sorry but there was nothing that they could (or would) do about it. That was a very uncomfortable 3+ hours on that final leg.
Old May 20, 09, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, SPG, National
I've had this happen a couple of times. For whatever reason, the flight comes up in R for three legs. Maybe that flight didn't have the availability, more than likely it had to do with SkySaver/SkyChoice issues.

Each time it has happened, I've called SMS and they've taken care of it for me before flight time. I'd give a call and see if they can take care of it. If they can't, give a call every now and then and see what they can do in case the inventory opens. But for me, they've always done it immediately.
Old May 21, 09, 2:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I was indeed trying to be funny, but not insultingly so. Not realizing that the plane just does not have an F cabin is not an uncommon error.

Search this Thread