Opinions regarding Promo glitch

 
Old May 15, 09, 4:50 am
  #1  
c_d
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: BER, SAT, AUS
Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Posts: 1,611
Opinions regarding Promo glitch

Dear fellow FT'ler,

is just that DL hates me or is it just my luck? Here is yet another DL promotion hick-up, I am hit with. here is the story, I would appreciate your comments.

In February, I located the Double Miles promo thread. Since my birthday is very early in March, I clicked the link provided and - voila - I registered. Subsequently I booked a flight well within my birthday month and I was eager that I get double miles for a TATL+TCON (appr. 11k R/T). All went good until I received an e-mail announcing the B-Day promo from DL. I instantly clicked on the link and was told that I am already registered for that particular promotion.

However, since I am not that new to DL, I called up SMS that very same day and explained what's going on. I was specifically addressing the issue, that I am already registered and also had already bought the trip. Although the SMS rep told me more than once, that I am not supposed to click promotion links published in some message boards but only those genuinely originating from DL, he confirmed that I was actually registered and had actually bought an eligible trip. In order to document that, he requested all information to be faxed in, such as copy of the registration, my upcoming trip details, booking references, etc.

Fair enough, I provided all requested information. After another call to SMS, I was given the impression that all is good and i just have to wait another 4-6 weeks in order to get my miles awarded.

As many of you might figure, that was not the case. Instead I received that:

Our information indicates that your ticket was bought on February 10, 2009. The rules and guidelines stated the ticket is only eligible if the ticket was purchased from February 26, 2009, to March 31, 2009. Your ticket was purchased prior to the eligibility for the Promotion.

Please accept our apology for the unfavorable impression you received in this instance. We appreciate your selection of Delta and will always consider it a privilege to be of service.


What would you do in that situation?


c_d
c_d is offline  
Old May 15, 09, 7:48 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: EAU
Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,551
You bought the ticket before you were eligible for the promotion. Registering early doesn't mean you were eligible when you registered. That's two separate criteria - buy after you register (check), and buy after the start date... no check.
raehl311 is offline  
Old May 15, 09, 7:51 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: STX
Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Posts: 1,804
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
You bought the ticket before you were eligible for the promotion. Registering early doesn't mean you were eligible when you registered. That's two separate criteria - buy after you register (check), and buy after the start date... no check.
Yep. In this case, your promo (and everyone else with a birthday in your month) had specific eligibility dates. The ticket you bought did not fall within those dates. My birthday is in July. Would be no different if I registered for the promo today and bought a ticket tomorrow, and I would not expect to get bonus.
jbatl is offline  
Old May 15, 09, 8:28 am
  #4  
c_d
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: BER, SAT, AUS
Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Posts: 1,611
Originally Posted by jbatl View Post
Yep. In this case, your promo (and everyone else with a birthday in your month) had specific eligibility dates. The ticket you bought did not fall within those dates. My birthday is in July. Would be no different if I registered for the promo today and bought a ticket tomorrow, and I would not expect to get bonus.
Guys, that is NOT what it said on the initial page. Citation: As a valued SkyMiles® member, when you register and book a round-trip Delta flight now through March 31, 2009, you'll receive double miles.

However, I do understand that the "genuine" e-Mail of DL contained much more fine print. The link posted here in FT did not, however.

To make it more clear: I am not arguing against my pre-emtive registration to that promo. I totally realise that I was early.

I am arguing against having spoken to SMS in February just when I booked the flight and I was totally given the impression that this is actually okay. I even had to fax all the information in, so that they may update their records.

I am travelling around my B-Day every year and when SMS would have told me that I screwed it up by the early booking, I just would have delayed it for a couple of days!!!! But in fact they did not!

The only sore point is, that two months later they completely changed what the said before.
c_d is offline  
Old May 15, 09, 10:15 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: STX
Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Posts: 1,804
Originally Posted by c_d View Post
Guys, that is NOT what it said on the initial page. Citation: As a valued SkyMiles® member, when you register and book a round-trip Delta flight now through March 31, 2009, you'll receive double miles.

However, I do understand that the "genuine" e-Mail of DL contained much more fine print. The link posted here in FT did not, however.
DL assumes no one will make it to the landing page who hasn't received the email. It's a false assumption. Perhaps this promo is unnecessarily complicated in that regard.

Originally Posted by c_d View Post
To make it more clear: I am not arguing against my pre-emtive registration to that promo. I totally realise that I was early.

I am arguing against having spoken to SMS in February just when I booked the flight and I was totally given the impression that this is actually okay. I even had to fax all the information in, so that they may update their records.

I am travelling around my B-Day every year and when SMS would have told me that I screwed it up by the early booking, I just would have delayed it for a couple of days!!!! But in fact they did not!

The only sore point is, that two months later they completely changed what the said before.
I'm sorry, but this is a little disingenuous, no? You knowingly tried to game the system. An SMS agent validated your gaming of the system. BUT, SMS agents are notoriously inconsistent and inaccurate when it comes to information, particularly as it relates to promos.

In other words, a cop can tell you no one gets a ticket for going less than 10 miles over the speed limit. When another cop pops you for going 64 in a 55, what the first cop told you becomes meaningless.

If getting the bonus miles is so important to you and you always fly around your birthday, why not just wait and make sure you followed the rules as you admittedly knew them to be?
jbatl is offline  
Old May 16, 09, 4:26 am
  #6  
c_d
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: BER, SAT, AUS
Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Posts: 1,611
Originally Posted by jbatl View Post
DL assumes no one will make it to the landing page who hasn't received the email. It's a false assumption. Perhaps this promo is unnecessarily complicated in that regard.



I'm sorry, but this is a little disingenuous, no? You knowingly tried to game the system. An SMS agent validated your gaming of the system. BUT, SMS agents are notoriously inconsistent and inaccurate when it comes to information, particularly as it relates to promos.

In other words, a cop can tell you no one gets a ticket for going less than 10 miles over the speed limit. When another cop pops you for going 64 in a 55, what the first cop told you becomes meaningless.

If getting the bonus miles is so important to you and you always fly around your birthday, why not just wait and make sure you followed the rules as you admittedly knew them to be?
jbatl I hate you! Stop telling me that!

No joking, you are absolutely right. I should not have been listening to the SMS and should have delayed that booking. Lesson learned now. But it is not true, that I intentionally tied to "play" the system. I just wanted to have a little extra miles for a booking I was making anyway.

However, I am amazed on how undisputed you (Americans) seem to accept an obvious and willful disinformation of your companies employees. I really want to stress the point that I was left under the impression that everything is alright by at least two SMS custumer reps.

Maybe I need to start recording phone calls for "quality purposes" now, too
c_d is offline  
Old May 16, 09, 12:34 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: Priority Pass, DL SM, UA G, VA GM, SPG GM, HHonors GM, Marriott PM
Posts: 400
I feel your pain, I signed up for the Bday promo as well and need to call the skymiles office on Monday.

I registered for the promo and then booked my flight TPA-LAX-NRT-SIN/SIN-ATL-TPA within hours of signing up for the promo. I did get the email from DL.

So this week I checked my account and found a 9m Birthday entry with 1089 miles. So now I need to go fight with a phone agent about why they did not give me my 20k+ miles that I am owed.

It stated I needed to signup & book by March 31st and then fly by april 30th. So I did not sign up till I booked the trip as I did not want one of my shorter trips to use the promo. And it States it needs to be a round trip.

So between the date I signed up and flew to SIN and back I did not take any Round Trips on DL. I did do a couple one way trips, so based on the wording of the offer my SIN trip was the one that should be the promo trip. The SIN trip was only taken as a MR because of the Double EQM and Birthday Promo, so they better give me my bonus miles.
vsop is offline  
Old May 16, 09, 2:23 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: STX
Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Posts: 1,804
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

It's not that we accept obvious and willful disinformation from employees of all companies, c_d.

DL is notorious for this call-any-agent-get-a-different-answer inconsistency. It's one of the joys of flying the world's largest airline.
jbatl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread