Search

Inconsistency of Product

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
Inconsistency of Product

OK, I just need to vent for a moment.

I think the biggest gripe I have against Delta at this moment is the total inconsistency of product.

On the same route, for the same fare one can have a completely different experience depending on the equipment. From RJs to bare-bones NW metal to full IFE, WiFi, power and leather.

At least WN has that right...total consistency across their fleet. For the same route, for the same price one will always get the same product.

OK, I'm done.

-=tg=-
Old May 12, 2009, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by tgtg
At least WN has that right...total consistency across their fleet. For the same route, for the same price one will always get the same product.
-
Not completely true on WN, as some planes have in-flight internet, while others do not.

As for standardizing, making a fleet of 1000 planes uniform overnight (or even within 1-2 years) just isn't going to happen - would cost too much money, both in terms of hard cash (retrofitting planes all at once) plus opportunity cost (doing mods to the planes instead of flying passengers on them and making money while doing so).
Old May 12, 2009, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
OK, I just need to vent for a moment.

I think the biggest gripe I have against Delta at this moment is the total inconsistency of product.

On the same route, for the same fare one can have a completely different experience depending on the equipment. From RJs to bare-bones NW metal to full IFE, WiFi, power and leather.

OK, I'm done.

-=tg=-
Other than LCCs with a limited fleet, such as WN, you have this problem with all airlines. Especially larger international airlines that have multiple types of airplanes, you'll always find it to be an issue. Heck just look at how many different BusinessElite seats there are for DL. With the merger this is only exacerbated.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mersk862
Not completely true on WN, as some planes have in-flight internet, while others do not.
4 in fact are serving as a test-bed for in-flight internet. The other 500+ planes do not have any internet capability at this time.

WN only flies 3 variants of the 737: Most are 737-300 &737-700 models with 137 seats for full interchangeability. A few 737-500's with 122 seats are used primarily within Texas.

Retrofitting IFE & internet is (1) expensive and (2) you can't just go down to Best Buy, grab what you want & stick in in the plane. All in-flight electronics needs extensive testing & approvals for safety reasons. A faulty IFE system was the #1 suspect in the crash of Swissair 111.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I have to agree with the OP to some extent. While comparing a global carrier with multiple fleet types to WN is a bit inappropriate, the fact remains that Delta generally doesn't pay much attention to standardizing things rapidly.

One must look no further than to the flagship 777 fleet in BE, where you have LRs with suites versus ERs with cradle seats, and the two are often interchanged on routes these days. Or, the 767-400 fleet, where there is a new seat coming online in BE, yet the rollout has been painfully slow, and the plan is to only introduce it on 7 aircraft. So, once again, one day you might have a flat BE seat on a 767-400, the next day you won't.

These are inconsistencies that easily could be avoided and should be avoided IMO, and there would be no better time than during this down economy -- when frequencies and routes are being scaled back -- to systematically pull equipment out of service and get the cabins standardized in an expeditious fashion.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
I just selectivity book when possible to avoid the inconsistencies across the fleet. However, DL/NW could improve the consistency of their check in lines. Just today, I was checking in for my NW flight at RDU. I'm standing in the "line" in front of the screen that says "Elite/International." Finally someone calls me up and says there is no elite line and I have to go to the end of the line. DL has an elite line two counters over. It shouldn't be that hard to have a designated elite line at all airports that is clearly marked. NW switched terminals at RDU over a month and half ago.
Old May 13, 2009, 5:37 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by Duke777
I just selectivity book when possible to avoid the inconsistencies across the fleet. However, DL/NW could improve the consistency of their check in lines. Just today, I was checking in for my NW flight at RDU. I'm standing in the "line" in front of the screen that says "Elite/International." Finally someone calls me up and says there is no elite line and I have to go to the end of the line. DL has an elite line two counters over. It shouldn't be that hard to have a designated elite line at all airports that is clearly marked. NW switched terminals at RDU over a month and half ago.
I also book carefully to sit on a plane I like. I avoid RJs as much as I can, sometimes even taking multiple legs or leaving way too early just to avoid them. Last year I was on RJs ~20% of the time and I am working very hard to lower that this year. Today I am flying into ROC to avoid RJ service into SYR which is closer to my real destination.

It is hard and let's face it they aren't cash rich at the moment so updating interiors is not a priority.

I believe the RDU operations are all DL staff now and they cleary don't know or have access to the NW systems. Last week they boarded my NW flight by writing our seat numbers on a piece of paper - they couldn't log in at the gate (one GA was on the phone with a help desk for a long time). We then sat on the plane for an extra 30 minutes until they could get the right numbers to the flight crew. The pilot was none too happy about it. Even on the DL side they don't always man the Medallion line @ RDU even when it appears on the overhead monitor. That used to happen in the old Terminal A as well. Fortunately the crowds are not too big here.
Old May 13, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
You have this with practically every single airline. For years AA had 2 different 777. One had first class suites the other had first class flat-beds.

Technically, the flat beds were supposed to be for Pacific flights, but many times I my equipment to LHR was swapped out for a Pacific flight.
Old May 13, 2009, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If Southwest works for the OP, great. Southwest offers a very consistent 737 experience. Southwest consistently:

- won't offer AVOD or other electronic IFE
- won't offer power ports
- won't offer first class
- won't serve small markets where 737s are simply too big
- won't take you to Atlanta, Charlotte, JFK, Paris, London or about 260 other cities served by DL+NW and not Southwest ...

Delta had plenty of inconsistencies prior to the acquisition on NW but this added plenty of fleet differences and work practice differences, too.
Old May 13, 2009, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If Southwest works for the OP, great. Southwest offers a very consistent 737 experience. Southwest consistently:

- won't take you to Atlanta, Charlotte, JFK, Paris, London or about 260 other cities served by DL+NW and not Southwest ...

Delta had plenty of inconsistencies prior to the acquisition on NW but this added plenty of fleet differences and work practice differences, too.
and....don't forget - won't offer you a seat. After the privilage of lining up like you're waiting for bread in the USSR, you get up to the bathroom and someone can steal your seat...
Old May 13, 2009, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

Trying to get me started on WN again, eh? For the markets it flies to (which covers most of my domestic needs), WN offers a consistently better & more reliable product than DL/NW any day. Start with no crappy jungle jets & move up from there.

When I need to fly to ATL (twice, strangely, in May & June) there's always Value Jet Air Tran & *ugh* Delta. After great trepidation, I've chosen Delta for those trips.

And for international & other misc. domestic destinations, there's Continental, a much better airline than DL/NW any day of the of the week. Had three nice hot meals (one even in coach ) on CO this weekend; you Deltoids won't be seeing many more of those in either cabin.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
and....don't forget - won't offer you a seat. After the privilage of lining up like you're waiting for bread in the USSR, you get up to the bathroom and someone can steal your seat...
I've never flown WN and don't plan on it - but seriously? Are you saying that during the flight, if you get up to use the lav, someone can take your seat in the middle of the flight??
Old May 13, 2009, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've never flown WN and don't plan on it - but seriously? Are you saying that during the flight, if you get up to use the lav, someone can take your seat in the middle of the flight??
Well its happened on jetBlue before, ask the guy who was told to sit in the bathroom.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I was being a bit over the top, but theoretically yes...there is nothing assigning that seat to you other than courtesy.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Trying to get me started on WN again, eh? For the markets it flies to (which covers most of my domestic needs), WN offers a consistently better & more reliable product than DL/NW any day. Start with no crappy jungle jets & move up from there.

When I need to fly to ATL (twice, strangely, in May & June) there's always Value Jet Air Tran & *ugh* Delta. After great trepidation, I've chosen Delta for those trips.

And for international & other misc. domestic destinations, there's Continental, a much better airline than DL/NW any day of the of the week. Had three nice hot meals (one even in coach ) on CO this weekend; you Deltoids won't be seeing many more of those in either cabin.
So glad to hear you're enjoying WN so much more than DL. I guess we then won't be seeing much of you on the DL forum then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.