Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible Delta AMEX Misrepresentation

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2009, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Possible Delta AMEX Misrepresentation

In March I applied for and was granted an American Express (Delta) Skymiles card. The offer clearly stated and was discussed on this forum a up to 35,000 mile bonus. A couple of weeks ago my bonuses were displayed...20,000. I called Amex to dispute and ask for the additional 10,000 miles ( I did not go for the two additional cards at 2500 miles each). Today I received a reply from a supervisor (via mail) that I was not entitled to the additional 10,000 miles. Anyone else have this problem. I had heard that Delta was a very poor mileage program (I usually go with American), but I guess I should have listened. I am faxing (they would not accept an e-mail attachment) with the ad and beginning the protest process once again.....Just a warning to others...I guess the 25,000 mile promotion for using partners will probably be as fraudulent or at least require vigilance...
Old May 1, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by garygleck
I had heard that Delta was a very poor mileage program (I usually go with American), but I guess I should have listened.
The issue you're having has nothing to do with Delta's program; the alleged problem is only with AMEX. Fax your details in and hopefully you'll get the issue straightened out, assuming you signed up through the correct link as there are many different promos out there right now for the Skymiles Amex.
Old May 1, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Have you ever been an AMEX customer before?

What were the stipulations of the bonus? Do you have to book tickets on DL.com to get the other 10K miles?
Old May 1, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by scotty00
The issue you're having has nothing to do with Delta's program; the alleged problem is only with AMEX. Fax your details in and hopefully you'll get the issue straightened out, assuming you signed up through the correct link as there are many different promos out there right now for the Skymiles Amex.
Absolutely! +1!

To the OP, please keep us posted as to how this is resolved.
Old May 1, 2009, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Terms

You can do a search and find the link still available on the Delta forum...The only limitation was you could not have had an AMEX SKymiles card before and you need to make any kind of purchase using the card...I know that this is an AMEX issue, but it is a Delta mileage program...
Old May 2, 2009, 5:44 am

Programs: Delta platinum, Marriott platinum
Try AmEx corporate

I had a similar issue over the past three months with a DL business amex card. Before applying for the card this year, I asked the rep if my prior card history would prevent me from receiving the mileage bonus of 16000 miles. She said she looked it up and I was eligible for the bonus.I received a 5000 mile bonus and a 1000 mile additional card bonus but not the 10000. During the complaint process, I received two emails from amex saying I would receive the miles and then a letter came from a Fort Lauderdale supervisor saying I wasn't eligible for bonus because of a card issued in 2003. I called amex corporate in NYC, which I had done once before on a mileage bonus issue. Like the previous experience, I was immediately put in touch with a rep who listened to what had happened and had the miles posted by the end of the day. Corporate's number is 800 297 6197. I don't think I have ever had anything positive from a communication with a FLL supervisor on an amex mileage inquiry.
Old May 2, 2009, 6:33 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, HH Dia, yadda, yadda....
I've had similar issues with AMEX before. I beleive the offer I applied under was similar and was worded such that it offered 35K skymiles plus 10 MQM points. However they gave me 25K miles plus 10MQM points(35K total). I argued with them extensively that the wording in the ad was misleading if this was their intent but finally gave up. I still believe this is a misrepresentation and false advertising on the part of AMEX.

You may sind this is the same situation you are in. Good luck getting them to give you the extra. I gace up but perhaps you will have more success.
Old May 2, 2009, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
I'm having a similarly frustrating experience. I upgraded from the Plat to Reserve card back in Dec using the 1UPG code. I was supposed to receive 5K MQMs plus 15K additional Skymiles as my first purchase bonus. The 15K Skymiles never posted and I'm on my 4th contact and 2nd fax to Amex. I've received 2 denial letters so far, one saying I was given the 5K MQMs and another saying I was given 15K MQMs for my $30K spend, neither of which I was even questioning The latest news is that a supervisor is supposed to consult with their Delta liason on Monday and call me back.

Did anyone else upgrade using the same code and did you receive all your miles?

Originally Posted by JohnB50
Corporate's number is 800 297 6197.
Thanks for the number! That's my next step if I don't get resolution on Monday. I've invested far too much time on this already to give up

Update: Received a call back on Monday, 15K Skymiles were credited and I can see them in my account already.

Last edited by PhilC; May 4, 2009 at 9:01 pm
Old May 10, 2009, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Update on misrepresentation

I faxed the offer of 30,000 miles (I think I got it from the View from a Wing blog). I received my second rejection from a C. Gordon. Now they want an advertisement with the offer with my name and address (i.e., proof of it being targeted). I can see no proof that this offer was a targeted one...Buyer beware!
Old May 10, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I guess the 25,000 mile promotion for using partners will probably be as fraudulent...
Old May 10, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM
Thought I would post a positive experience - I signed up for a Bus and Personal card, each getting the 35k deal. Well, I got a "personalized invitation" 2 weeks later that was even better - 50k miles + 4 day passes + similar other stuff.

I got the 25k posted already on the 2 cards but I called today to switch to the new offer I got in the mail - spoke to a really helpful person who at first claimed it didn't exist, but then understood this was a NW conversion offer - looked up using my WP# and he switched me to the better offer. He also gave me another 5k miles due to the confusion and inconvenience.

The only major difference on the 50k offer for me was that I need to charge $10k within 6 months to get the additional 25k bonus whereas I had to charge only $1k within 3 months to get the 10k bonus before. But, to me it was a great deal and they were very helpful.

Also, he said on the phone that it was within 6 weeks so I could make the switch to the better deal - not sure if that helps anyone or if this is a documented feature.

A lot of people have been bashing AMEX but I have to say they have been great to me - I have had Amex Hilton/Sheraton for years and AMEX has saved my butt several times (fraudulent activity on the road, new cards, easy to reverse charges). Now, with my Delta experience I am even more of a fan.
Old May 12, 2009, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Final update...I hope

The additional miles posted today...
Old May 12, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
The additional miles posted today...
Did you do anything after the 2nd rejection?
Old May 12, 2009, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

No

I did nothing after the second rejection, the miles just appeared...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.