Would you upgrade and leave kids in coach?

Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold, MR Silver, AA, UA
Would you upgrade and leave kids in coach?

Kids are 9 (almost 10) and 11, very experienced fliers. I want to put myself on upgrade list, but have guilt. What would you do? It's a long flight and there is space in first class.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I think technically they're unaccompanied minors if they're not in the same cabin as you.

As for upgrading, could you upgrade, companion upgrade one, and miles (or ask a favor) for the third?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: Skyteam
Guardian is required to accompany the minor in the same cabin.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
My boss does this all the time. He and the wife travel in F and the kids (14, 12, 8) travel in Y. Did it on many domestic flights, and I know he did it SLC-CDG and SLC-OGG.

As long as the parent/guardian is on the same flight, its all good.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: DL, Hhonors Gold
To answer your title question: no.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by Dilemma
My boss does this all the time. He and the wife travel in F and the kids (14, 12, 8) travel in Y. Did it on many domestic flights, and I know he did it SLC-CDG and SLC-OGG.

Just because your boss has done it doesn't mean it's acceptable by the airline. For the sake of argument, If the kids were 8 months, 2,4, you think having a guardian on the same flight will fly?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Dilemma

It's not - that's against airline policy....it may go through, but against policy
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; SPG Plat; MR Plat; Hertz Plat
A little OT, but I once took the upgrade and left my wife and boys ages 5 and 7 in coach CVG to SLC. I had offered her the upgrade for which she thanked me but said I should take it since I am 6' 5" and need the leg room. I sat in FC as my wife and boys walked by to board in coach and the 2 words I read on her lips let me know I should have given her the seat anyway.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:47 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by mile_runner
A little OT, but I once took the upgrade and left my wife and boys ages 5 and 7 in coach CVG to SLC. I had offered her the upgrade for which she thanked me but said I should take it since I am 6' 5" and need the leg room. I sat in FC as my wife and boys walked by to board in coach and the 2 words I read on her lips let me know I should have given her the seat anyway.
Ouch
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by travelalot33
Kids are 9 (almost 10) and 11, very experienced fliers. I want to put myself on upgrade list, but have guilt. What would you do? It's a long flight and there is space in first class.
Even if such a separation in cabins were allowed, I wouldn't do it because:

(1) You never know when your kids will act up. Everyone has a bad day now and then;

(2) You never know when some nut will be seated next to or near them; and

(3) The kids are your responsibility, not that of the FAs or some strangers.

I understand your kids are well behaved, but a little supervision goes a long way.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Another "I'm entitled so I don't have to be responsible for my actions or for common sense" post.

Supported by another "but somebody else got away with it" post.

The questions the OP should be asking are:

1) If there is an emergency on take-off or landing, who is going to assume the responsibility that I shirked and help get my children off safely?

2) During that emergency, how hard am I going to try to impede the evacuation of those PAX rushing to the front door, while I try to go against the flow to reach my children in the back... now that I have suddenly remembered that I am responsible for them?

Is the lure of a FC seat really so compelling that it disables all sense of responsibility?

Since such emergencies are not common place, a more mundane question:

3) What if your children prove to pains in the butt outside of your oversight, and make the trip miserable for those around them?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Originally Posted by travelalot33
I'd upgrade and leave them at home!
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL
My mom has gotten an upgrade before and let me take the upgraded seat while she is in Y. She let the FA know and she said it was fine. I don't know about the other way around though...

Edit: I've done it 4 times:

PVD-ATL
PHX-JFK
BOS-FLL
CVG-ANC
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:30 pm

If I were the only parent/guardian traveling, I would not separate myself from the children, regardless of how experienced with flying they may be.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
My mom has gotten an upgrade before and let me take the upgraded seat while she is in Y. She let the FA know and she said it was fine. I don't know about the other way around though...

Edit: I've done it 4 times:

PVD-ATL
PHX-JFK
BOS-FLL
CVG-ANC
Is this the same "mom" that you have degraded so badly? A real piece of work!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.