Kudos for an SNA gate agent

Old Apr 13, 09, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Kudos for an SNA gate agent

I know this theme has been discussed in other threads, but a search did not turf one up.

Just wanted to acknowledge a GA at SNA who took the time to retrieve an elite from coach to fill the last FC seat.

Wasn't me... I was already up front, but I made sure she was aware that the extra effort was noted and appreciated.
Old Apr 13, 09, 6:21 pm

Programs: |QF Gold|OZ Gold|HH Diamond|DL Blue|
I had this happen to me on the weekend in CVG on a flight I'd paid for in miles and theoretically was not eligible for upgrades - the gate agent called me up and said he was looking through the passenger list for Medallions for the last seat in FC and thanked me for my loyalty to Delta.
Old Apr 13, 09, 8:34 pm

I also met a really nice GA in SNA on my way to SLC (then CVG, then JFK, then BUF, finally)- was very nice to me and my traveling buddy even as NRSA's and she went out of her way to call us up and even let us hand-pick seats-- I wonder if it's the same GA? Was a sprightly younger female, her name unfortunately slips me because it was at the end of a verrrry long day.
Old Apr 13, 09, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Ive never had anything but great experiences with GAs at SNA

Probably one of the best sets of GAs in the system IMHO
Old Apr 14, 09, 5:15 am

I gotta say, if its not too much work, its great to write in to DL and recognize when an airline employee goes above and beyond. I personally know how much it sucks when sometimes management knows nothing about what goes on (some stations are OK, other times management has no idea because they don't leave their offices. They have their favorites and its impossible to get ahead.)
Theres been times that I've stayed for 18 hours when everyone on my shift goes home after 8 just to make sure that everyones bags are there, everything leaves on time, deicing is covered, we are prepared for APU inop planes that need airstarts (if a station isn't prepared and don't have working equipment, I've seen planes take 2 hour delays because of unprepared people) Unfortunately I work on the ramp. Had a better job, but the flight benefits lured me in and are keeping me here.
Every time somebody writes in to recognize a job well done, it makes it all worth it.
Old Apr 14, 09, 6:42 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I wouldn't call this extra effort. It should be commonplace, like on CO.
Old Apr 14, 09, 7:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
I know this theme has been discussed in other threads, but a search did not turf one up.

Just wanted to acknowledge a GA at SNA who took the time to retrieve an elite from coach to fill the last FC seat.

Wasn't me... I was already up front, but I made sure she was aware that the extra effort was noted and appreciated.
Was that on the 6:45 flight to ATL? I didn't notice what you mention, but the GA did call out the names of the 5 people who were in line for upgrades if the "checked-in but not shown" people in F truly did not show...I was really glad that she did that since there is no monitor in SNA to watch for upgrade position.
Old Apr 14, 09, 8:14 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by vatraveler View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I wouldn't call this extra effort. It should be commonplace, like on CO.
And I consider telling someone thanks for a job well done (even if it is expected) to be something we should all be doing more often...
Old Apr 14, 09, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL EP/PM/MM
Originally Posted by skoker View Post
I also met a really nice GA in SNA on my way to SLC (then CVG, then JFK, then BUF, finally)- was very nice to me and my traveling buddy even as NRSA's and she went out of her way to call us up and even let us hand-pick seats-- I wonder if it's the same GA? Was a sprightly younger female, her name unfortunately slips me because it was at the end of a verrrry long day.
I have seen too many NRSA's being upgraded with Medallions sitting in the back.

Do you mind me asking if all Medallions who were eligible for upgrades had already been processed up to FC?
Old Apr 14, 09, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pjpoker View Post
I gotta say, if its not too much work, its great to write in to DL and recognize when an airline employee goes above and beyond.
I have been holding back... I do want to send something to DL.

But... is there a risk that I might actually get the GA in trouble, since it appears that what she did is not in keeping with current corporate policy?

Would hate to open her up to potential criticism for risking delay of flight departure (she did not, we had plenty of time, but who knows how some "suit" might interpret this).

I don't want to push this into the "no good deed goes unpunished" category.
Old Apr 14, 09, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BunnieGene View Post
Was that on the 6:45 flight to ATL? I didn't notice what you mention, but the GA did call out the names of the 5 people who were in line for upgrades if the "checked-in but not shown" people in F truly did not show...I was really glad that she did that since there is no monitor in SNA to watch for upgrade position.
Was not that flight... a later morning flight.
Old Apr 14, 09, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoCRJ View Post
Do you mind me asking if all Medallions who were eligible for upgrades had already been processed up to FC?
No way of knowing.
Old Apr 14, 09, 5:40 pm

I have been holding back... I do want to send something to DL.

But... is there a risk that I might actually get the GA in trouble, since it appears that what she did is not in keeping with current corporate policy?

Would hate to open her up to potential criticism for risking delay of flight departure (she did not, we had plenty of time, but who knows how some "suit" might interpret this).

I don't want to push this into the "no good deed goes unpunished" category.
I don't think she'd get in trouble, but it is a very good thought. Might be better just to remember it as good DL CS.
I just personally delivered a cell phone left in a RON today about 50 miles away (I was going to be in her town anyway) and had to specifically ask her not to write DL as I was probably bending the rules.
Sucks when helping/serving customers can get you in trouble.
Could just send something saying vaguely how helpful, friendly, and professional she was.
Old Apr 14, 09, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat; Hilton Gold; Holiday Inn Gold; Hertz Presidents Club, Marriott Gold, AA Silver
That is my home airport and I have to +1 on the good GA staff there. Makes the choice of McDonalds and "Four Bucks" easier to tolerate as breakfast choices.
Old Apr 15, 09, 8:41 am

No way of knowing.
Not true, we can see the full list of airport upgrade standbys which includes all of the Medallions as well as the NRSA pax from the Extranet.

Originally Posted by NoCRJ View Post
I have seen too many NRSA's being upgraded with Medallions sitting in the back.

All of the Medallions on this flight (MD-90) had been upgraded already (I remember because I was checking the loads online hoping that there'd be 2 free seats), the load was on the lighter side and there was one seat in First left. I didn't want to split up with my traveling partner so we took an empty 3-seater in the back to ourselves and the flight dispatched with one empty seat in F.

Search this Thread