Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Combining separately booked flights into one itinerary with Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Hi -- I'm looking to book a flight from LAX to Barcelona, Spain on Delta in early November. I need to use Delta because I have some unused travel vouchers. Delta's rates from JFK to BCN are pretty competitive (around $470) however their prices on flights from LAX to JFK are not. I'm wandering if I can purchase the JFK to BCN portion of the trip now, and wait a few weeks or months until Delta's fares on LAX to JFK come down a bit. Will Delta allow me to combine these two itineraries after the fact if they are booked separately? I'm thinking it would be beneficial to combine the itineraries so baggage will get checked through to Barcelona and in case one flight were to be delayed affecting my ability to catch the next one.

I'm also considering booking the LAX to JFK portion on Virgin America if Delta's prices don't come down. I think I assume a significant risk if I do this however -- since if the VA flight gets canceled or delayed, I could miss the Delta flight and have no recourse, yes?

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:41 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Delta Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta, United
No, they can not be combined once booked. However, get them crossed referenced in the record locator. If they are separate tickets booked on difference airlines you will have little recourse in the event of a problem.

By showing both tickets the agent can tag your luggage to checked all the way through.
ashishsg likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
No, they can not be combined once booked. However, get them crossed referenced in the record locator. By showing both tickets the agent can tag your luggage to checked all the way through.
Thanks FlyingUnderTheRadar -- so if I get the 2 separate Delta flights "cross referenced in the record locator" I will be covered should my flight from LAX to JFK get canceled/delayed? i.e. Delta will get me on the next flight to Barcelona at no cost, yes?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TrojanFan
I will be covered...?
Covered? No. If you want a contractual obligation on DL's part stick to one ticket. Linking the PNRs may get you a little more understanding from a counter agent if things go wrong.

Checking bags through isn't a problem,either way, although a single ticket gets the international baggage allowance all the way.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: Delta Silver (former GM, fighting way back), Paid Delta SC Member, Hertz Gold, Gold HHonors
Ok, here is a similar question. I am booking a RT flight to MAN. On the return leg, I will be traveling with my wife whom is there now. Is there a way to link her one way itinerary to mine in case of any equipment changes they know we are traveling together (and prefer to sit together)?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:04 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by RBrownTN
Ok, here is a similar question. I am booking a RT flight to MAN. On the return leg, I will be traveling with my wife whom is there now. Is there a way to link her one way itinerary to mine in case of any equipment changes they know we are traveling together (and prefer to sit together)?
Same thing - call the airline to "link" the reservations.

Linking has absolutely no bearing on sitting together - just call the airline, give both record locators and obtain your seats.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
I am in a similar situation- I took advantage of an unadvertised biz-class sale fare out of LAX, but I am in NYC. There was no way to book a connection from NYC without jacking up the fare, so I figured I could just book a NYC-LAX R/T later.

The questions I have are:

1. Is there any language in the fare rules that I should look out for before I notify DL that I want the 2 itineraries linked? I don't want to get penalized for nesting the tickets.

2. This involves international travel out of LAX. By linking the tickets, will I be able to make all the necessary check-ins in NYC, or will I have to go outside security at LAX to check in again?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL skymiles
You can check your bags all the way through as long as its either all on Delta or there is a baggage agreement with the other airline. International baggage rules apply as long as when you check in you show an onward international ticket (DL or OAL)

Make sure if you have them link your records, still check your seats and flights periodically to make sure nothing changed. When they are linked, all it does is show a human that is looking at the reservation that you are traveling with someone else, there is no way to tell the computer system you are traveling together if you are on different reservations.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:39 pm

There is no linking reservations. There is no linking records. The only thing any airline does is they make a note in the record. So this means someone has to look at your record/reservations for them to do anything. Alot of stuff is done by computer or a real person who spends seconds looking at your reservation so never expect any benefit from a note, link etc in your record. As a previous poster said you may gain more compasion from a gate agent if something goes wrong and they can see the situation without having to hear yak yak yak come out of your mouth. Trust me it sounds like yak yak yak to anyone behind a counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.