Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

No better award when I check "I am one of these passengers" ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA

I'm looking for an F award ATL/SMF in June. Tonight I noticed miles required and flights are the same whether I check the "I am one of these passengers" box or not. I finally found one tonight for 45,000 miles, with a change in SLC both ways. Nonstops are 62,500 miles on a *low* day, according to the awards calendar. Would SMS be any help?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
"I am one of the passengers" only helps with seats in Y, if at all. It doesn't open up any F/J seats.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:18 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
And one thing to note is there are actually different buckets for FO/GM/PM.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:45 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
NW gives favored availability from a platinum's account, whether or not that person is actually flying. This seems more fair since if a platinum is using miles from a non-platinum account, no favored availability is given. Another "best in class" enhancement
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:16 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by fti
NW gives favored availability from a platinum's account, whether or not that person is actually flying. This seems more fair since if a platinum is using miles from a non-platinum account, no favored availability is given. Another "best in class" enhancement
Actually I can call in and book a ticket as a PM using miles from anothers account. That was functionality added last year I think. You can actually use miles for an award from multiple accounts for one award.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 3:44 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfulcher
Actually I can call in and book a ticket as a PM using miles from anothers account. That was functionality added last year I think. You can actually use miles for an award from multiple accounts for one award.
I too can call in and book award from another's account. The question is though whether I would receive PM preferred availability when booking from someone else's account.

Never heard of using miles from multiple accounts for one award ticket. That is "pooling" of miles and I didn't think that you could do that. If so, what is the big deal that DL pushes about transferring miles between accounts?
Old Apr 9, 2009, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DukieDrew
"I am one of the passengers" only helps with seats in Y, if at all. It doesn't open up any F/J seats.
This is news to me...where did you learn it doesnt open up F/J? Is this common knowledge from a while ago? The only tickets I ever search for are BE tix and I thought I was increasing availability by checking the box...
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
This is news to me...where did you learn it doesnt open up F/J? Is this common knowledge from a while ago? The only tickets I ever search for are BE tix and I thought I was increasing availability by checking the box...
As a Medallion� member, you are eligible for greater Award seat availability when booking Delta Economy Class Award Travel.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jfulcher
You can actually use miles for an award from multiple accounts for one award.
Yes, by paying mileage transfer fees. If there's another way to do that it's BIG, BIG news.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:27 am

There are obviously some 'tricks of the trade' to get award travel. I am new to SkyMiles as I have recently transfered my WorldPerks miles. When I try to view availability for award travel, all I see are no flights available. Then I read that there are ways to book even the last seat on the plane with Delta. How do you make that feature work? I checked on the NWA site and see seats available but when the same dates are entered for Delta it show no flights available. Any hints of what I'm doing wrong?

thanks
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:28 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhigbee
There are obviously some 'tricks of the trade' to get award travel. I am new to SkyMiles as I have recently transfered my WorldPerks miles. When I try to view availability for award travel, all I see are no flights available. Then I read that there are ways to book even the last seat on the plane with Delta. How do you make that feature work? I checked on the NWA site and see seats available but when the same dates are entered for Delta it show no flights available. Any hints of what I'm doing wrong?

thanks
That is why I am afraid what will happen when nwa.com no longer exits. SlyPiles wants your miles and wants you to burn tens of thousands more miles than you otherwise should. So much for "last seat availability" even at the highest award level.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bhigbee

thanks
The total absence of award seats suggests completely sold out flights or a dysfunctional award calendar. I'll go with the latter. Use a phone to book awards through a DL call center, or transfer miles to a WP account and use the better (for NW and CO metal, anyway) NW online award search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.