Benefits of flying Gold Medallion on Contiental

 
Old Apr 8, 09, 1:23 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Posts: 75
Benefits of flying Gold Medallion on Contiental

Hi All, looking for some guidance here. I checked delta.com but the rules weren't too clear. So I'm planning on flying a RT on Continental in the coming weeks and using my skymiles gold account. I know that I can acrue skymiles by flying continental but will I receive my 100% bonus miles? Am I correct in assuming that there are no complimentary upgrades available for skymiles medallion members on Continental?

Thanks in advance.
seatownflyer is offline  
Old Apr 8, 09, 1:36 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: BOSish
Programs: DL GM / MM, Nat'l EE, Radisson Rewards, Marriott Silver
Posts: 430
Your fare class will determine how many MQM you will accrue for the flight:

First, Business, Coach/Economy A, B, C, D, F, J, Y, Z miles flown x 1.5
Coach/Economy (discounted) G, H, K, M, Q, U, V miles flown x 1
Coach/Economy (deeply-discounted) E, L, N, S, T, W miles flown x 0.5

Regarding miles - you should be awarded the full miles flown regarless of paid fare class plus your gold bonus.

As for upgrades - there is no reciprocal agreement for Continental and Delta. You could be on the op-up list, but probably low on the list. I've had success a couple of times asking for an upgrade at the gate when there was plenty of space and a nice GA.
nebraskaboy is online now  
Old Apr 8, 09, 1:40 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: DL AA UA
Posts: 2,359
You can also get a better seat than those with no status, but not a premium exit row. It is a little bit of work, but you might want to see if NW will status match you as they still have reciprocity with CO.
ADLFO is offline  
Old Apr 8, 09, 2:17 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: PHX
Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
Posts: 657
Originally Posted by ADLFO View Post
It is a little bit of work, but you might want to see if NW will status match you as they still have reciprocity with CO.
I called NW last week and they stated that they are not status matching from DL, as the two will be merging.
Dilemma is offline  
Old Apr 8, 09, 3:10 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: DL AA UA
Posts: 2,359
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
I called NW last week and they stated that they are not status matching from DL, as the two will be merging.
It figures. Why would DL want to help their customers upgrade on CO?

Although, if CO were smart, I think that until they go to *A, they should start upgrading DL medallions if there are any F seats after all the CO/NW elites were upgraded. Why not try to get proven FFers to switch to your airline? Yes, I know they will status match, but in this case, CO has an empty seat, they have a FFer who hasn't chosen CO as their No. 1 carrier, but at least this one time has chosen them for price/convenience, so why not? The cost would be a few dollars at most for the extra F food/drinks.
ADLFO is offline  
Old Aug 5, 09, 8:57 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ORF
Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.6MM, IHG Spire Elite
Posts: 875
I'm flying CO next month RT from Houston to Managua, my fare class is Y. What are the chances of an upgrade as a Delta PM?
DeltaFirst is offline  
Old Aug 5, 09, 10:34 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Programs: Delta 2MM/GM , HH <>, AX-Plat
Posts: 1,222
Piling on here ...

I'm flying SLC-IAH-SAL on a Continental Y fare next month. Happy to use miles to upgrade but how? The other complication is that it's a government Y fare and it won't be ticketed until 72 hours before departure. Ah, bureaucracy!

Available SkyMiles are no problem and I can transfer SPG into CO Miles but the timing will be tricky with the ticketing restriction.

Advice appreciated!

Jim
jimquan is offline  
Old Aug 5, 09, 10:43 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Posts: 10,839
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst View Post
I'm flying CO next month RT from Houston to Managua, my fare class is Y. What are the chances of an upgrade as a Delta PM?
Unless there is an oversell situation and there are no other CO Elites to upgrade, your chances are slim.

Originally Posted by jimquan View Post
I'm flying SLC-IAH-SAL on a Continental Y fare next month. Happy to use miles to upgrade but how? The other complication is that it's a government Y fare and it won't be ticketed until 72 hours before departure. Ah, bureaucracy!

Available SkyMiles are no problem and I can transfer SPG into CO Miles but the timing will be tricky with the ticketing restriction.
You'd have to go through CO since it is a CO ticket and has nothing to do with DL. Note: I don't think you can get DL credit if you upgrade with CO miles.
AndyTLe is offline  
Old Aug 6, 09, 8:08 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ORF
Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.6MM, IHG Spire Elite
Posts: 875
Originally Posted by AndyTLe View Post
Unless there is an oversell situation and there are no other CO Elites to upgrade, your chances are slim.



You'd have to go through CO since it is a CO ticket and has nothing to do with DL. Note: I don't think you can get DL credit if you upgrade with CO miles.
Thanks Andy. Interesting that the CO site still has some deal going with NW Plats that can still upgrade but if you're Delta then you're hosed.
DeltaFirst is offline  
Old Aug 6, 09, 8:24 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Posts: 13,747
Originally Posted by seatownflyer View Post
Hi All, looking for some guidance here. I checked delta.com but the rules weren't too clear. So I'm planning on flying a RT on Continental in the coming weeks and using my skymiles gold account. I know that I can acrue skymiles by flying continental but will I receive my 100% bonus miles? Am I correct in assuming that there are no complimentary upgrades available for skymiles medallion members on Continental?

Thanks in advance.
Actually EUA works just fine for some DL elites....CO does recognize NW status and processes our EUA as if we were CO elites....however I have recently heard as part of the breakup we (NW) elites are no longer exempt from the baggage fees by status (No you wont receive 100% EQM nor segment credit for some fare codes)

PS EUA %'s on CO are much lower than on NWA - they fly with much smaller F cabins and use ERJ's on some fairly long routes plus they do a decent job of selling F seats (they've done a terrific job of keeping their F cabin whole while most airlines have cut back over the years)...while I'm usually at 99% on NWA I'm more like 50% on CO as a NWA Gold....but with that said their F does blow away DL's F

Last edited by socrates; Aug 6, 09 at 8:32 am
socrates is offline  
Old Aug 6, 09, 8:27 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ORF
Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.6MM, IHG Spire Elite
Posts: 875
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst View Post
Thanks Andy. Interesting that the CO site still has some deal going with NW Plats that can still upgrade but if you're Delta then you're hosed.
Shouldn't I still be able to try and get a Skyteam upgrade using miles?
DeltaFirst is offline  
Old Aug 6, 09, 9:25 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Programs: Delta 2MM/GM , HH <>, AX-Plat
Posts: 1,222
+1

Jim
jimquan is offline  
Old Aug 6, 09, 9:32 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: I don't know
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Posts: 14,400
Originally Posted by ADLFO View Post
You can also get a better seat than those with no status, but not a premium exit row. It is a little bit of work, but you might want to see if NW will status match you as they still have reciprocity with CO.
I was always able to get an exit row at booking on CO as a Gold/Platinum. Just Silvers aren't allowed (and even there, an agent can manually override the process - I'm in coach on a CO award ticket in October; they can't see my DL status, but an agent I know was able to get me into the ERJ's exit row).

Originally Posted by DeltaFirst View Post
Shouldn't I still be able to try and get a Skyteam upgrade using miles?
Should be able to work - sadly, the thing with CO is if it's domestic, many times those F seats are full (or out of upgrade inventory) at 3 days out.
mersk862 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 09, 11:14 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Posts: 1,733
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst View Post
I'm flying CO next month RT from Houston to Managua, my fare class is Y. What are the chances of an upgrade as a Delta PM?
I did a EWR/SAN a couple of years back on a Y fare. Did not get an UG but I received an email just after my trip offering a "free upgrade" next time I would fly domestic Y fare with them. Never used it though.
vgb2001 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 09, 1:24 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ORF
Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.6MM, IHG Spire Elite
Posts: 875
Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
I was always able to get an exit row at booking on CO as a Gold/Platinum. Just Silvers aren't allowed (and even there, an agent can manually override the process - I'm in coach on a CO award ticket in October; they can't see my DL status, but an agent I know was able to get me into the ERJ's exit row).



Should be able to work - sadly, the thing with CO is if it's domestic, many times those F seats are full (or out of upgrade inventory) at 3 days out.
Houston to Managua is an international flight.
DeltaFirst is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread