FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Delta Security in JFK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/941272-delta-security-jfk.html)

CueballJR Apr 8, 2009 10:40 am

Delta Security in JFK

Greetings once again!

Just curious if anyone knows the avg. wait time in the JFK airport security? I'm planning on heading out of the airport (as I have a 9 hour layover) and then coming back later...

One flight is at 8pm on a Sunday, Delta JFKRDU

One flight is at 430pm on a Wednesday, Air France. JFKCDG

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

CueballJR

AndyTLe Apr 8, 2009 11:06 am

TSA Security Wait Times
http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave...l/kennedy.html

thepointsguy Apr 8, 2009 11:39 am

As DL Gold you can use Terminal 2 which is usually a breeze. I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes and I travel at peak times. Avoid Terminal 3 at all costs.

flyerwife Apr 8, 2009 12:50 pm

For an 1115p flight last Wednesday, Air France at Terminal One was packed but moved pretty fast, though we had medallion status. Maybe 15 mins from start to finish for non-medallion.

FlyAO2 Apr 8, 2009 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by pitbrian (Post 11548772)
As DL Gold you can use Terminal 2 which is usually a breeze. I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes and I travel at peak times. Avoid Terminal 3 at all costs.

Whether you're gold or not is irrelevant - everyone and their mother uses Terminal 2 they don't check. I've waited more than 5-10 minutes many times at Terminal 2.

AndyTLe Apr 8, 2009 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by FlyAO2 (Post 11550046)
Whether you're gold or not is irrelevant - everyone and their mother uses Terminal 2 they don't check. I've waited more than 5-10 minutes many times at Terminal 2.

T2 used to be Premium and Elites. Then it became Premium, Elites & flights to Florida and London. The LON flights are moving to T4 so I think the FL flights remain.

ua_to_ord Apr 8, 2009 3:31 pm

Be aware that the security check in Terminal 2 closes in the late evenings. I found this out earlier this week the hard way (i.e. by missing my 9:45p flight to DCA).

N830MH Apr 8, 2009 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 11550134)
T2 used to be Premium and Elites. Then it became Premium, Elites & flights to Florida and London. The LON flights are moving to T4 so I think the FL flights remain.

Correct! I knows where Florida flights will be in T2 but, not even in T3 by another cities where it coming from. You can go to DL terminal 3 where you are flying on international flight from T3 ticket lobby. The bags will be requirements to be cutoff the time 60 minutes before the international flight is departed. You have come to airports earlier by 3 hours before the flight ie leave.

N830MH Apr 8, 2009 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by ua_to_ord (Post 11550196)
Be aware that the security check in Terminal 2 closes in the late evenings. I found this out earlier this week the hard way (i.e. by missing my 9:45p flight to DCA).

Yeah, unfortunately that you were struck in JFK. So DL will give rebooked for another flight out of JFK in the morning. I think T2 security are very extremely overcrowded. I think you need to come to airport earlier by 3 hours in advise before departed out of JFK.

FlyAO2 Apr 8, 2009 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 11550134)

Don't buy the hype - Terminal 2 does NOT only have Florida and London coach passengers...everyone has learned the trick. That's what happens with ZERO enforcement. Delta's dropped the ball on this one.

Juanefny Apr 8, 2009 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by FlyAO2 (Post 11550401)
Don't buy the hype - Terminal 2 does NOT only have Florida and London coach passengers...everyone has learned the trick. That's what happens with ZERO enforcement. Delta's dropped the ball on this one.

I've never had issues........

Factotum Apr 8, 2009 4:19 pm

It's hard to predict these days who you're going to find in T2 because DL keeps changing it around, but it is possible to get caught out. I had that happen to me on a couple of Saturday mornings... you'd think, Saturday morning, slow time for elites, I should sail right on through... but no! Delta's got flights leaving for the Caribbean (Dominican Republic I believe) around 8:00 and all those passengers were crowding their way through T2 security! The language barrier really slowed things down too. As a Medallion I was waved right through to the ID checker, but even between there and the X-ray took well over 10 minutes to get through.

T2 is the least of many possible evils at the DL JFK security checkpoints, but there are times - not always predictable - when it gets really chaotic. Most of the time, though, there is either:
- someone manning the front of the line to whom you can show your boarding pass and who, seeing your elite status, will usher you to a point directly in front of the TSA ID checker, who will get to you as soon as he/she finishes checking the party of 15 that was there first, and then the party of 8 behind them, or
- someone roving up and down the line checking boarding passes, who will see that you are Medallion and pull you out of line, ushering you directly in front of the TSA ID checker and proceeding as above.

Good luck - and as a Medallion, do stick to T2. Even if the situation looks hopeless there, if that is the case, it is probably worse over at T3, and even if not, it is almost certainly not worth the time it takes to get over there.

FlyAO2 Apr 8, 2009 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Factotum (Post 11550477)
It's hard to predict these days who you're going to find in T2 because DL keeps changing it around, but it is possible to get caught out. I had that happen to me on a couple of Saturday mornings... you'd think, Saturday morning, slow time for elites, I should sail right on through... but no! Delta's got flights leaving for the Caribbean (Dominican Republic I believe) around 8:00 and all those passengers were crowding their way through T2 security! The language barrier really slowed things down too. As a Medallion I was waved right through to the ID checker, but even between there and the X-ray took well over 10 minutes to get through.

T2 is the least of many possible evils at the DL JFK security checkpoints, but there are times - not always predictable - when it gets really chaotic. Most of the time, though, there is either:
- someone manning the front of the line to whom you can show your boarding pass and who, seeing your elite status, will usher you to a point directly in front of the TSA ID checker, who will get to you as soon as he/she finishes checking the party of 15 that was there first, and then the party of 8 behind them, or
- someone roving up and down the line checking boarding passes, who will see that you are Medallion and pull you out of line, ushering you directly in front of the TSA ID checker and proceeding as above.

Good luck - and as a Medallion, do stick to T2. Even if the situation looks hopeless there, if that is the case, it is probably worse over at T3, and even if not, it is almost certainly not worth the time it takes to get over there.

I've never seen anyone check BPs and re-direct people, but maybe I've just been unlucky. They tend to add a 2nd crew of TSA people at 7AM (which they're always late on, so like 7:20AM) so it does improve somewhat at that point.

I got a CLEAR membership to solve this, but at T2 it is almost always closed. They have now opened CLEAR at T3 that is open more regularly so that's a better bet if you have a CLEAR membership. Also, I have a collegaue who also claims there are first class/medallion lines at T3, but I've never seen those.

goodandclassy Apr 8, 2009 4:54 pm

I agree with Factotum - T2 can be a zoo and completely dead within 45 minutes. I speak from experience and oh my the zoo was an experience. There was a mini-revolt when the 'people departing in the enxt X minutes step to the front' announcement was made...
oh my...

p.s. does anyone have a good discount on clear membership? refer a friend type of deal?
I am looking at $100 a year. that's a good value. 200.. not so much :-D

AndyTLe Apr 8, 2009 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by goodandclassy (Post 11550650)
I agree with Factotum - T2 can be a zoo and completely dead within 45 minutes. I speak from experience and oh my the zoo was an experience. There was a mini-revolt when the 'people departing in the enxt X minutes step to the front' announcement was made...
oh my...

p.s. does anyone have a good discount on clear membership? refer a friend type of deal?
I am looking at $100 a year. that's a good value. 200.. not so much :-D

DL is offering 3000 miles. http://www.flyclear.com/delta3000/