FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Platinum Medallion redeposit of Skymiles scam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/940915-platinum-medallion-redeposit-skymiles-scam.html)

OrlandoFlyer Apr 7, 2009 11:39 am

Platinum Medallion redeposit of Skymiles scam

Excuse me if this has been posted else where but I could not find reference to it.

I received the email today from DL in regards to discount award travel. We had an award trip in April/May booked US to Europe in BE and Europe back to US in Y, for a total of 70K miles per ticket. I decided to look today and found the same flights in BE for 75K per ticket, which was the discounted amount of miles. So for 5K miles extra per ticket we could come back BE, which was a no brainer.

I call DL premium services to find out how to do this. The agent indicated that she would have to redeposit the miles in my account, refund the taxes and book the new reservation. She also indicated that it would cost me $50 per ticket to redeposit the miles. I mentioned that I was a Platinum member and that we had two free redeposits a year. That she agreed with, but to get them free she had to cancel the tickets and send the mileage redeposits to another department to have them redeposited into my account which would take a few days. If I wanted them redeposited immediately I would have to pay $50 per ticket, which of course I did as I wanted to get the new tickets and not lose them waiting days for the free redeposit.

I looked on DL's Skymiles website and all I could find was the following:

About SkyMiles
Benefits at a Glance
SkyMiles Program Updates
Medallion® Program Updates
SkyMiles Newsletter (Insider)
Membership Guide & Program Rules

Platinum-specific Benefits

Our highest level of benefits are reserved for our most loyal passengers—people who spend more time in the air with us than almost anywhere else. Enjoy these exclusive privileges:
Award Ticket Fee Waiver
Platinum Medallion® Systemwide Upgrade Certificates1
Access to International Airport Lounges
Priority Baggage Handling2
Award Ticket Fee Waiver

We've waived the Award redemption fee for Platinum Medallion members for Award Tickets booked or purchased on or after April 4, 2006. Through February 28, 2009 the award reissue and redeposit fee will continue to be waived for Platinum Medallions. Beginning March 1, 2009 we will waive the reissue or redeposit fee for two reservations per member year for Platinum Medallions.
Nowhere could I find does it mention this $50 instant redeposit for platinum members.

This appears to be just another DL scam from JR & company and kept hidden from us until we try to use the free redeposit? Or, was the agent wrong?

Any comments from other FT's who have knowledge or experience on this would be appreciated.

fti Apr 7, 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer (Post 11542727)
Excuse me if this has been posted else where but I could not find reference to it.

I received the email today from DL in regards to discount award travel. We had an award trip in April/May booked US to Europe in BE and Europe back to US in Y, for a total of 70K miles per ticket. I decided to look today and found the same flights in BE for 75K per ticket, which was the discounted amount of miles. So for 5K miles extra per ticket we could come back BE, which was a no brainer.

I call DL premium services to find out how to do this. The agent indicated that she would have to redeposit the miles in my account, refund the taxes and book the new reservation. She also indicated that it would cost me $50 per ticket to redeposit the miles. I mentioned that I was a Platinum member and that we had two free redeposits a year. That she agreed with, but to get them free she had to cancel the tickets and send the mileage redeposits to another department to have them redeposited into my account which would take a few days. If I wanted them redeposited immediately I would have to pay $50 per ticket, which of course I did as I wanted to get the new tickets and not lose them waiting days for the free redeposit.

I looked on DL's Skymiles website and all I could find was the following:

Nowhere could I find does it mention this $50 instant redeposit for platinum members.

This appears to be just another DL scam from JR & company and kept hidden from us until we try to use the free redeposit? Or, was the agent wrong?

Any comments from other FT's who have knowledge or experience on this would be appreciated.

Welcome to the "best in class" Delta Airlines :D

Just a couple of weeks ago I made a change with NW to one of my award tickets (the same day I booked) due to not seeing a first class award ticket was actually booked in economy except for one very short leg.

I was told that NW is not charging the $50 yet. But that was March 26th. Is the fee now in place?

Doesn't surprise me that it now takes hours/days/weeks to redeposit miles for one of your "free" changes. Just another scam, as you said.

thezipper Apr 7, 2009 11:51 am

... would you like fries with that too... boy it sounds like SM has thought up every (well almost every) possible way to fleece the pax... this is pathetic!

glad I'm out of the game!

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer (Post 11542727)
... but to get them free she had to cancel the tickets and send the mileage redeposits to another department to have them redeposited into my account which would take a few days. If I wanted them redeposited immediately I would have to pay $50 per ticket, which of course I did as I wanted to get the new tickets and not lose them waiting days for the free redeposit.

The Mileage Millionaire Apr 9, 2009 3:11 pm

I changed a DL award today. No mention of the new "two free then $50" Plat change fee. I am now left wondering if this counted against my two free changes/re-deposits? I am guessing no.

Any reason to think otherwise?

raehl311 Apr 9, 2009 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by fsa_ea (Post 11556066)
I changed a DL award today. No mention of the new "two free then $50" Plat change fee. I am now left wondering if this counted against my two free changes/re-deposits? I am guessing no.

Any reason to think otherwise?

It's Delta?

The Mileage Millionaire Apr 9, 2009 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 (Post 11556332)
It's Delta?

:D:D:D

goodandclassy Apr 9, 2009 5:29 pm

I had a redeposit last weekend (friday night) - I used one of my freebies
It took 3-4 days for the miles to post back to my account.

i am not suprirsed that the 'waiver' takes a while as it probably gnerates some sort of a 'case' for so,meone to look at, approve, blah blah blah...
The system, theoretically could reverse the transaction right away, but of course, why modify the workflow to waive the $50 for qualified customers...
the more of a hassle it is,t he more likely you are to give up on it :D

FlyingUnderTheRadar Apr 9, 2009 10:00 pm

It think that is BS ... I had an award ticket redepo'ed and the miles showed back up immediately. I was working with a very good agent so like always call back and try again.

davetravels Apr 10, 2009 10:49 am

Originally Posted by fti (Post 11542772)
I was told that NW is not charging the $50 yet. But that was March 26th. Is the fee now in place?

I'm sure that the DL forum isn't the right place to ask, but, I was also wondering if NW has actually started this. It was said to be delayed due to the system not being able to track the redeposit count - or somethiing like that. Someone said it was supposed to start on some date in May, but I haven't seen anything new posted about it - and would really like to know!!

woody125 Apr 10, 2009 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 11559977)
I'm sure that the DL forum isn't the right place to ask, but, I was also wondering if NW has actually started this. It was said to be delayed due to the system not being able to track the redeposit count - or somethiing like that. Someone said it was supposed to start on some date in May, but I haven't seen anything new posted about it - and would really like to know!!

Those who know probably don't want to say out of fear that it might close the loop on one of the last great bennies of a being at top tier person with DL/NW.