2008 Airline Quality Study Releases

 
Old Apr 7, 09, 6:52 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Posts: 13,747
2008 Airline Quality Study Releases

Interesting NWA ranked 4th....Delta only ranked 12th (behind UAL???)....hopefully NWA quality will survive and become the norm

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...60355/1001/biz

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...08++NWA+fourth
socrates is offline  
Old Apr 7, 09, 9:24 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SEA
Programs: MR Plat;NWA GE; UA Prem Exec
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
Interesting NWA ranked 4th....Delta only ranked 12th (behind UAL???)....hopefully NWA quality will survive and become the norm
Don't count on it!
seob is offline  
Old Apr 7, 09, 10:49 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,650
According to the figures, it seems like it would have been better for customers if USAirways had taken out Delta (when US wanted to acquire DL) instead of Delta having taken out NW (as is now a done deal).
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 7, 09, 11:25 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,479
I always find airline surveys amusing, especially since they seem to differ so much from each other. Example: The 2008 JD Power Airline Satisfaction Survey gives Alaska and Continental 5 stars. Delta got 4, while AC, AA and US got 3 stars. NW and UA brought up the rear with two stars.

I'd be curious to see the criteria and exact wording of questions asked for these surveys.
MastaHanky is offline  
Old Apr 7, 09, 11:29 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: BOSish
Programs: DL GM / MM, Nat'l EE, Radisson Rewards, Marriott Silver
Posts: 430
I've always found out interesting to review the denied boardings for the connections carriers - isn't overbooking a function of the parent carrier, or do the connection carriers have a say in revenue management? Sucks for them to penalized for something that is out of their hands....
nebraskaboy is offline  
Old Apr 7, 09, 11:30 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,884
Originally Posted by MastaHanky View Post
I always find airline surveys amusing, especially since they seem to differ so much from each other. Example: The 2008 JD Power Airline Satisfaction Survey gives Alaska and Continental 5 stars. Delta got 4, while AC, AA and US got 3 stars. NW and UA brought up the rear with two stars.

I'd be curious to see the criteria and exact wording of questions asked for these surveys.
I was waiting for someone to pull that card.

Yes, I've seen MSP airport, for example, rated at the bottom in one survey, and at the top in the next one. ALL surveys should be taken with a grain of salt, not just propped up when it makes your airline/airport look good and dismissed when it makes your airline/airport look bad.
SchmutzigMSP is offline  
Old Apr 7, 09, 11:35 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,479
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP View Post
ALL surveys should be taken with a grain of salt, not just propped up when it makes your airline/airport look good and dismissed when it makes your airline/airport look bad.
But then Flyertalk wouldn't be 1/10 of much fun as it is now.
MastaHanky is offline  
Old Apr 7, 09, 3:34 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MA
Programs: DL
Posts: 1,559
Wow...How did DL rank 12th, behind UA? And NW getting 4th? Thats ridiculous. NWA has the worst looking Y seats and still take 4th? Wow...

If someone could please list the list of favorable airlines in order I would appreciate that...

Not a surprise to me that US got the most complaints.
tjisnumbaone is offline  
Old Apr 7, 09, 3:52 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Posts: 25,247
Originally Posted by nebraskaboy View Post
I've always found out interesting to review the denied boardings for the connections carriers - isn't overbooking a function of the parent carrier, or do the connection carriers have a say in revenue management? Sucks for them to penalized for something that is out of their hands....
Well, not really because in this case Delta & its 4 largest Delta Connection carriers occupy 5 of the 6 lowest slots in the survey. Delta has really taken over the bottom of the industry.

People can complain about the "survey" and spin all they want, but the so-called survey is really just an index based on several DOT stats. You can look at the raw data (individual measures e.g. customer complaints) and get the same picture of rock bottom quality.
MikeMpls is offline  
Old Apr 7, 09, 4:04 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Programs: Delta DM, American GLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 177
Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone View Post
Wow...How did DL rank 12th, behind UA? And NW getting 4th? Thats ridiculous. NWA has the worst looking Y seats and still take 4th? Wow...

If someone could please list the list of favorable airlines in order I would appreciate that...

Not a surprise to me that US got the most complaints.

I guess the appearance of the Y seats was only minimally weighted?

The difference in a lot of these rankings is the criteria used and the weights given to each. JD Powers, for example, relies heavily on direct, customer surveys.
pitbulllover is offline  
Old Apr 8, 09, 12:09 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Posts: 13,747
Originally Posted by pitbulllover View Post
I guess the appearance of the Y seats was only minimally weighted?

The difference in a lot of these rankings is the criteria used and the weights given to each. JD Powers, for example, relies heavily on direct, customer surveys.
exactly...as I've always said not all programs/products/services are equal...one might work well for 90% of the folks but if it doesnt work for you it's a terrible program
socrates is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread