FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   How Do I Know What 757 Plane I Am Flying? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/940693-how-do-i-know-what-757-plane-i-am-flying.html)

flyingfran Apr 6, 2009 8:32 pm

How Do I Know What 757 Plane I Am Flying?

I understand how to use Seat Guru; however, Seat Guru shows several different models of the 757. Some of the 757's identified by Seat Guru are 757-200 Version 1, 757-200 Version 2, 757-200 Transcon.

I can determine from the DL site that I am flying a 757, but I do not know what type of 757 I am flying. I really just want to know if we will have video screens in our seat backs.

AndyTLe Apr 6, 2009 8:34 pm

Look at the seating chart on DL.com and compare it to SeatGuru. Usually the F section is the differentiator and will tell you which type.

flyingfran Apr 6, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks. It looks like it is the 757-200 Transcon.

InStock Apr 6, 2009 10:59 pm

I can answer this one...

Originally Posted by flyingfran (Post 11539256)
I understand how to use Seat Guru; however, Seat Guru shows several different models of the 757. Some of the 757's identified by Seat Guru are 757-200 Version 1, 757-200 Version 2, 757-200 Transcon.

I can determine from the DL site that I am flying a 757, but I do not know what type of 757 I am flying. I really just want to know if we will have video screens in our seat backs.

The easy way is to buy a Y one-way ticket complimentary medallion confirmed into F from JFK to SLC, board the flight, take your seat, have the lead FA start freaking out since the gate staff did not verify the 757 type and stop the boarding process with ~10 on board. Makes sense since it was only at the gate for 2+ hours prior to boarding. :rolleyes:

This is what happened to me last weekend. Long story...I "enjoyed" my transcon in Y next to a sad claustrophobic with a one hour ground delay in JFK to add to the drama.:(

Dare I ask for some SMs for the hassle? (Flaming to commence?)

mrblueeyes Apr 7, 2009 8:43 am

Originally Posted by InStock (Post 11539945)
The easy way is to buy a Y one-way ticket complimentary medallion confirmed into F from JFK to SLC, board the flight, take your seat, have the lead FA start freaking out since the gate staff did not verify the 757 type and stop the boarding process with ~10 on board. Makes sense since it was only at the gate for 2+ hours prior to boarding. :rolleyes:

This is what happened to me last weekend. Long story...I "enjoyed" my transcon in Y next to a sad claustrophobic with a one hour ground delay in JFK to add to the drama.:(

Dare I ask for some SMs for the hassle? (Flaming to commence?)

Why crap on this guy's thread? Create another thread with your story in it.

18sas Apr 7, 2009 9:13 am

Going out on a limb and predicting that flyingfran may not appreciate being called a "guy."

But instock has a point in that 752 substitutions seem to be pretty common. Twice this year I expected to have 752 transcon, but ended up with the old-style 752. Happened last week ATL-PHX.

tjisnumbaone Apr 7, 2009 1:59 pm

Go do the exact same search for your flight with the exact same dates as if you were booking it. Then have your exact itinerary. Then click on "view seats" and compare it to seat guru. Good luck and have a nice trip!

upgrader Apr 7, 2009 2:53 pm

Or you can use the formulae posted by mersk862 three days ago in response to a similar question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzz
Great, thanks.

I also seem to remember people saying that there were ways to tell based on SeatGuru charts (something about 6 rows versus 7 maybe)...do you know anything about that?

Yup:

Quick rundown:

16 seats in F, Rows 1-4 - 757-200 with BusinessElite
22 seats in F, Rows 1-6 (no 6A/B) - 757 Domestic ETOPS; planes primarily used to Hawaii. F has footrests, but it's a domestic F seat with no AVOD.
24 seats in F, Rows 1-6 - regular domestic 757 without AVOD
26 seats in F, Rows 1-7 (no 1C/D) - 757 with AVOD/LiveTV

orlandodlplat Apr 7, 2009 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by 18sas (Post 11541796)
instock has a point in that 752 substitutions seem to be pretty common. Twice this year I expected to have 752 transcon, but ended up with the old-style 752. Happened last week ATL-PHX.

It happened to me last month too.

This is why when I'm upgraded in advance on an ex-Song ship, I make sure to avoid 1C/D and anything in row 7.

In a last minute equipment substitution, the stressed-out GA will most likely just downgrade people in those seats, even if they're PMs.

alanh Apr 14, 2009 10:08 pm

Won't be in one of these... I ran across this picture of a bunch of ex-DL 757s at VCV.
http://www.jetphotos.net/img/1/0/6/4...9216460_tb.jpg

jfulcher Apr 15, 2009 5:35 am

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat (Post 11543922)

This is why when I'm upgraded in advance on an ex-Song ship, I make sure to avoid 1C/D and anything in row 7.

In a last minute equipment substitution, the stressed-out GA will most likely just downgrade people in those seats, even if they're PMs.

I still avoid 6A & 6B for the same reason too! DL used to hold these seats back for gate upgrades, but they don't do that anymore in my observation.

FlyAO2 Apr 15, 2009 7:34 am

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat (Post 11543922)

Had the same on a FLL-JFK flight that was supposed to be on a BE 757. Had 1C; boarded the plane and found it was a Transcon 757....No 1C

Took 20 minutes for the GA to sort it out - fortunately the transcon has more F seats than the BE version; otherwise, some fireworks would have begun.

flyingfran Apr 15, 2009 10:59 am

Thank you for your responses. I was able to determine the type of 757 using the FC seating chart as explained by one of the first posters.

We completed the out-bound portion of our trip without difficulty. There were no equipment substitutions, and we had FC upgrades for the entire trip, including the ATL-SEA leg. It was a very pleasant experience, except that the meal was as bad as anything I have ever tried to eat. Fortunately we had eaten lunch in ATL, and went to dinner in SEA immediately after arriving.

However, if I had paid full price for those FC seats, and if I had intended that the meal on the plane be one of my three daily meals, I would have been exceedingly disappointed.

beachmiles May 3, 2009 12:42 pm

Shannon to JFK , Row 25 recline?

Delta 123, SNN to JFK. two seats in row 25. Seat Guru and SeatExpert seen to indicate row 25 does not recline. Delta CSR says they do recline. Who do I believe?

From the Seat Guru choices , it looks like " 757-200 EX-TWA". Seat Guru says thats a newer configuration. New and TWA don't seem to go together.

Does my seat recline?

AndyTLe May 3, 2009 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by beachmiles (Post 11687284)
Delta 123, SNN to JFK. two seats in row 25. Seat Guru and SeatExpert seen to indicate row 25 does not recline. Delta CSR says they do recline. Who do I believe?

From the Seat Guru choices , it looks like " 757-200 EX-TWA". Seat Guru says thats a newer configuration. New and TWA don't seem to go together.

Does my seat recline?

It is the ex-TWA plane as there are only 4 rows in BE. http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del...-200_TWA_B.php

TWA has been gone for that long, AA acquired TWA in 2001. Some of these ex-TWA planes were delivered new to TWA in the second of the 1990s. These are former TWA planes that have been refurbished with a new cabin.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/new...se.960212.html