Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Amex Business Credit Cards - 5% OPEN Savings on Delta purchases going away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Amex Business Credit Cards - 5% OPEN Savings on Delta purchases going away?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
This stinks! Had the card for barely three months. Going to get rid of it this summer. This was a key benefit for me, the real value-added. Good bye.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM; SPG PLAT/Ambassador
Not that we needed further confirmation, but here is the email I received after logging my complaint at delta.com:

Dear Zedthedeadpoet,

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

As you know, Starting May 15, 2009 Delta will no longer be participating in the Open Savings program. Delta has decided to leave the program in order to shift focus on other opportunities. This decision does not impact the SkyMiles program or any other benefit to your American Express Delta Card. Please know I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate management team.

Thank you for giving Delta the opportunity to serve your travel needs.

Sincerely,

Medallion Desk
Old Apr 16, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I would say this is an issue to take up with Amex, not so much Delta. If Amex wouldn't give Delta a good enough deal to stay in the program, it's going to cost Amex some cardmembers, such as yours truly. To keep us on this card and paying the fee, they need to offer some bennies. This was a good one. Now that it's gone, so am I.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM
I'm sorry you fell in. I almost did.

We have about a 20K+ annual Delta spend out of total 20k/month on our regular Amex Small Biz Gold.

I called to apply for the Delta Biz Plat to get the MQMs (and even considered the Reserve), but was offered the same ridiculous $3000 limit.

So it's not enough credit for the blocks of Delta tix I need to buy (so double Bonus Miles is useless)....

It's useless for the Bonus MQMs when I don't even have the credit line to charge to the second threshold...

And it doesn't even have the 5% savings anymore...

What's the point of the card if you can't take advantage of the things that are the main selling points??

It's just bad business, a waste of my time and even the application was a (small but still) dumb waste of a couple of points of my credit rating.

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Well, all I can say is that having just acquired the Reserve for Business card in January, I feel somewhat scammed. And that is after wasting hours of time to get the initial $3,000 credit line raised to something more useful. The only reason I selected this card was that the annual fee would more or less get canceled out by the 5% savings on annual DL spending.

I have been scammed! When did they actually stop advertising the 5% discount?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: DL-PM/R, 1985 US
Amex should really re-think this one.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta - Plat, Marriott - Platinum, Starwood - Gold
Sure - but ...

Originally Posted by Schark
Amex should really re-think this one.
You've got to report this to AMEX, otherwise, .....ing here wont get it accomplished
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
And if the Delta OPEN Savings going away is not enough to prevent one from obtaining a Delta Amex, I know someone who had a Platinum Amex business card with no preset spending limit who pays early in full, and he just recently had his supposed, no preset limit credit line severely cut, so much so that he will probably close the account and do business with another company.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:26 pm
LHS

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Thumbs down No more double miles for Delta Tix

If you check at AMEX and delta, you will notice that they no longer mention double miles for Delta purchases either
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by LHS
If you check at AMEX and delta, you will notice that they no longer mention double miles for Delta purchases either
Wow, I think you are right. I am at the Amex site and the Platinum Delta Amex description says,

Earn Miles with the Card
You can earn one mile for virtually every dollar you charge, from inventory and materials to monthly phone bills. You can redeem Delta miles for Award Travel with Delta or over 15 airline partners.
I'm still looking, but not successful thus far.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:09 pm

OK, I opened an application for the Delta Business Plat Card and it still says double miles on Delta:

https://www201.americanexpress.com/s...ep=15917&ct=21

Double Miles on Delta purchases — Earn two miles for every eligible dollar you spend on qualifying Delta Air Lines and Delta Vacations purchases. Earn one mile for virtually every other dollar you spend.
But the Delta Personal Amex Plat card says,

https://www201.americanexpress.com/c...9/b/64/0/0/0/n

Earn at least 1 mile for every eligible dollar spent.
Old May 1, 2009, 1:58 pm

Programs: United, Hyatt, Starwood, Hertz
This is TERRIBLE... I can't believe they would do this and not tell anyone about it. I am Platinum Medallion and use my biz card only constantly, and of course to buy flights. I fly out of new york constantly, internationally usually, and because of this change, I think it's time I make a change and try AA or some other airline. It's terrible how they handled this -- it was the biggest benefit to having the credit card and made me fly with delta. Goodbye Delta...
Old May 1, 2009, 2:22 pm

I purchased a few TATL tickets on nwa.com a few days ago, using personal Platinum AMEX, being a bit disappointed I could not buy them on Delta and get double miles. My latest AMEX statement shows double miles posting for these tickets!
Old May 9, 2009, 2:05 pm

Confirmation that it was Delta who ended program.

Just got a letter from AmEx:

"Effective May 15 Delta will no longer participate in the OPEN Savings program. This means... . . . Delta purchases will not be eligible for 3-5% Savings discount.

While we are disappointed to lose such a valuable partner ... Blah, Blah etc."

This a big deal for BE fliers.

I wonder if it is better to cancel and go back to AmEx Platinum (non Delta). Reserve does not insure rental cars outside the US but Plat does. Both get you into the Sky Club.

Any opinions?
Old May 9, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by marilyn35406
Just got a letter from AmEx:

"Effective May 15 Delta will no longer participate in the OPEN Savings program. This means... . . . Delta purchases will not be eligible for 3-5% Savings discount.

While we are disappointed to lose such a valuable partner ... Blah, Blah etc."

This a big deal for BE fliers.

I wonder if it is better to cancel and go back to AmEx Platinum (non Delta). Reserve does not insure rental cars outside the US but Plat does. Both get you into the Sky Club.

Any opinions?
I am irritated by this as well. However, the key to the value of the Reserve card for me, will be using the companion certificate where you can book in FC. If that works like it should (I should get the certificate sometime next month) it will certainly make that card worth it. If not, I'll likely cancel it. My wife and I buy transcon A fares so using the certificate for that would be a nice perk.

I also have the AXP Plat card which I like for a variety of reasons--including the sort of "insurance" feeling of it when travelling internationally.
Old May 9, 2009, 5:55 pm

ATLRunner comments

"I am irritated by this as well. However, the key to the value of the Reserve card for me, will be using the companion certificate where you can book in FC. If that works like it should (I should get the certificate sometime next month) it will certainly make that card worth it. If not, I'll likely cancel it. My wife and I buy transcon A fares so using the certificate for that would be a nice perk.

I also have the AXP Plat card which I like for a variety of reasons--including the sort of "insurance" feeling of it when travelling internationally. "

Yes, we will have to weigh the value. Maybe AXP will reinstate their companion ticket program. To us, the big value of Reserve was 5% off $25k of upgraded M TATL flights annually. I had just canceled our AXPlat - Aarrgh! The Reserve does not insure overseas car rentals (AXP does) which we insured through Amex separately for $25 per rental - worth it for the peace of mind.

I wonder if it's worth writing to the President of Delta? When Gerald Grinstein was boss they were very approachable.

I just get the feeling these new guys are not really Delta people.

The AXP does give you a companion ticket in international Business or 1st on some airlines and I used it a couple of times but it is VERY expensive as you pay full price on 1 ticket. We went to Oz and NZ using it - other routes didn't seem worth it.

Am I missing any other advantages of AXPlat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.