Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Amex Business Credit Cards - 5% OPEN Savings on Delta purchases going away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Amex Business Credit Cards - 5% OPEN Savings on Delta purchases going away?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by rylan
Yup its official... OPEN savings for Delta is going away. Here is the cust service response to my email:
Now that it's official, perhaps the MODS can take the question mark off of my thread title.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Well, all I can say is that having just acquired the Reserve for Business card in January, I feel somewhat scammed. And that is after wasting hours of time to get the initial $3,000 credit line raised to something more useful. The only reason I selected this card was that the annual fee would more or less get canceled out by the 5% savings on annual DL spending.

I have been scammed! When did they actually stop advertising the 5% discount?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: DL Plat, Mariott Plat, HH Diam
I have the delta reserve business card and neither the March or April statements say anything about the benefit ending. I have also called four times and each separate representative, after checking with their supervisors, have said there is no change plannned. I also got the same thing when I e-mailed asking the question.

I am curious as to whether other holders of the reserve business card saw anything about the benefit ending in their statements. Or if others are in my same boat of not thinking the benefit is going away.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I do not have a Reserve card, but on the OPEN Savings Summary page of my April 10, 2009, statement, the first line says,

DELTA - flight purchases - End Date May 15, 2009
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Mariott Plat, HH Diam
Thank you, I had not noticed that. Interesting that none of the four representatives I spoke with at American Express seems to know this is happening.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I have a regular skymiles business amex, and on my last statement (dated 3/24), there is no mention of the end of the Delta OPEN savings.

Maybe this change is only for personal cards and not business accounts?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta - Plat, Marriott - Platinum, Starwood - Gold
Not just for personal

Originally Posted by scotty00
I have a regular skymiles business amex, and on my last statement (dated 3/24), there is no mention of the end of the Delta OPEN savings.

I'm a Plat Delta AX Business, with over 175k a year in spending. Typically of that, 20k was on delta. The $1k I made a year was awesome. Now that its going away, I have to think - will my spending be better used elsewhere?

Also shows on my statement. I'm calling and asking for a refund of my annual fee.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by scotty00

The personal cards never had the 5% discount in the first place. But
my Business reserve card also had the May 15 end date listed on the last statement!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
I just called to confirm w/AmEx that the 3% + 2% Open Savings was going away on my DL Plat Bus card. And would'nt you know it AmEx blames DL for leaving the program & claiming that this was not their choice. I do not buy it. Everybody know that $ wise these 2 are tied at the hip and I doubt that this was a unilateral move by DL. I'll be complaining to both in writing and I fully expect it won't mean a thing to either one .
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rwsatl
I just called to confirm w/AmEx that the 3% + 2% Open Savings was going away on my DL Plat Bus card. And would'nt you know it AmEx blames DL for leaving the program & claiming that this was not their choice.
Here's the text of the email I just received from Amex, similar to the response above:

"Thank you for your follow up e-mail.

Per your inquiry, I would like to inform you that effective May 15th, 2009, Delta Air Lines will no longer be participating in the OPEN Savings program.

Please know that now that Delta has merged with Northwest to become the world's biggest airline, they have decided to leave the program in order to shift focus on other opportunities."
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:47 pm

That sucks!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 2:07 pm

I guess my real question is when did this get decided? Because when I applied for my Reserve business card in January 2009, it was not mentioned!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: BA silver
If the 5% OPEN Savings ends on May 15, will I still get the discount for tickets purchased prior to this date? I would think the answer is yes, but it takes 6-8 weeks for them to process the discount. Do you think they will go by the ticket purchase date for qualification and give me the 5% off even-though the discount won't be processed until after the OPEN Savings program is supposed to end? The answer may be a no-brainer and I think I should get the 5% off, but who knows these days.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by cielak
If the 5% OPEN Savings ends on May 15, will I still get the discount for tickets purchased prior to this date? I would think the answer is yes, but it takes 6-8 weeks for them to process the discount. Do you think they will go by the ticket purchase date for qualification and give me the 5% off even-though the discount won't be processed until after the OPEN Savings program is supposed to end? The answer may be a no-brainer and I think I should get the 5% off, but who knows these days.
In my experience, the discount shows up on my Amex account 2 to 3 days after the purchase. So you shouldn't have to worry about it for tickets purchased prior to say May 12. But I would expect that tickets purchased through May 15 will earn the discount.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM; SPG PLAT/Ambassador
That really is a huge disappointment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.