Maximizing upgrade potential for non-status companion?

Old Apr 4, 09, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Maximizing upgrade potential for non-status companion?

A Platinum is traveling with a non-status Delta SkyMiles Member SEA-CVG-MCO and MCO-CVG-BOS-CVG-MCO and MCO-CVG-SEA in M class registered for Triple miles. I thinks this gets the non-status flyer (who has an existing 3006 MQM) all the way to Silver in the two days it takes us to fly this.

First, the non-status member is on a different reservation, and I have called ahead and requested the linked upgrade. This maximizes the Plat upgrade potential (splitting), but the non-status flyer doesn't have a chance until the 12 hour mark. Right?

Second, I will check us both in at the 24 hour mark, printing boarding passes at home. Does this really matter?

Is there anything else I can do to increase the companion upgrade potential of the non-status flyer?

Once we are Platinum and Silver, is it better to request upgrades for both based on their own status? Or as a companion upgrade from the Plat on a seperate reservation?

Last edited by 925; Apr 4, 09 at 1:04 pm
Old Apr 4, 09, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM
First, the non-status member is on a different reservation, and I have called ahead and requested the linked upgrade. This maximizes the Plat upgrade potential (splitting), but the non-status flyer doesn't have a chance until the 12 hour mark. Right?
CORRECT.

Second, I will check us both in at the 24 hour mark, printing boarding passes at home. Does this really matter?
For the purposes of upgrades, it doesn't matter on DL when you check in.

Is there anything else I can do to increase the companion upgrade potential of the non-status flyer?
Other than fly off peak times, no... the non-status flyer is at the bottom of the list after PM, GM, and FO flyers.

Once we are Platinum and Silver, is it better to request upgrades for both based on their own status? Or as a companion upgrade from the Plat on a seperate reservation?
It is best to stay on separate PNRs and individually request based on your own status.

As a PM, your window will open at 5 days
As a FO, your friend's window will open at 24 hours.
As a companion, regardless of whether a companion of a PM or not, the window opens at 12 hours.
As a companion, you are not eligible for upgrades if on a L/U/T fare. As a FO, you can upgrade LUT. So, no real advantage of requesting as a companion.

Also, if you are on the same PNR, I believe both your window and your friend's window will open at the same time (24 hours, the time of the lowest status), but I might not be correct on this one.

I believe it is best to be on separate PNRs and call SMS to have them link your record in case of IRROPS you should theoretically be rebooked together.
Old Apr 5, 09, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the excellent, clear, thorough reply. And it fits with all I know. Thanks again!

Search this Thread