EATS VS. Domestic F

Old Apr 2, 09, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
EATS VS. Domestic F

What if say at least 5 days before a flight they told you the meal options in F on domestic flights over 1500 miles and you had a choice to either

1. Opt for the meal
2. Say you donít want the meal an instead get one option off the EATS menus

Would you sometimes take option 2. Do you think option 2 giving an F passenger an EATS dish is less costly then an F meal?

I wonder, especially having been on NWA a lot lately where they have the DELTA meals but no veg option I would have liked last night a salad from EATS as opposed to the chef salad in F.

What do you think.

PS. I am posting on the DELTA board since we have more experience with EATS>

PPS. I have heard (can someone confirm details) United gives F passengers free BOB options on some flights.
Old Apr 2, 09, 8:46 am

Programs: DL PM, LY Silver
When I fly F domestic, I always prefer to pay for something from the EATS menu.
Old Apr 2, 09, 11:23 am

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
I agree. Give F the choice of F meal, or 1 free EATS meal.
Old Apr 2, 09, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz Five Star
I would love the option of an EATS meal. I have purchased EATS items on several occasions and have never been disappointed (the salads and the cheese plates are always great). In fact, I believe the EATS items taste fresher and not like typical airline food. My question to Delta would be, why can't you infuse the domestic first class meals with some of the flare of the EATS meals?
Old Apr 2, 09, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by trojanlaw View Post
I would love the option of an EATS meal. I have purchased EATS items on several occasions and have never been disappointed (the salads and the cheese plates are always great). In fact, I believe the EATS items taste fresher and not like typical airline food. My question to Delta would be, why can't you infuse the domestic first class meals with some of the flare of the EATS meals?
+1.
Old Apr 2, 09, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I doubt that you will see "personalized" travel meals for the masses. Frankly I am surprised that one can still make special meal requests without a fee.

That said for "lunch" flights in F that would normally have meal service it would probably be easier just to dump meal service and go to 1 all day and 1 goodie from the menu.
Old Apr 2, 09, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I have only had 3 F class flights where there even was a meal option. And one of those they apparently couldn't cater the plane so what they did was give everyone the option of one item from the EATS menu (although they limited to only a handful of items). Personally, I say why even bother with the regular meal, then? Just offer the eats selection, plus maybe a roll or side snack or something, and a desert item.
Old Apr 2, 09, 8:04 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
I'm a fan of the EATS menu, but when in the h-e-double-l is Todd English going to offer something better than some stinkin' hummus. I actually ordered it recently based solely on his name. The pita wedges were so stale, I almost chipped a tooth.
Old Apr 2, 09, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL
I prefer F meals. They cater to your fare better and are free with the fare. Even though it would be free, I'd just rather choose to stick with the food that comes with FC.
Old Apr 2, 09, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
We had a turkey sandwich that had sliced apple on it while on a LAX-ATL flight in February (EATS menu in coach) - it was large enough for my wife and I to split - very yummy.
Old Apr 2, 09, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
I would like to have the choice of EATS or F meal as well.
Old Apr 2, 09, 11:46 pm
GVA

Programs: AA EXP, NW Plat (in my heart), bmi DC Gold, BA EC Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
IMHO it cheapens the product to give you the choice of an EATS product. Afterall you can see the dollar amount and it reduces the incentive to buy an F seat.
Old Apr 2, 09, 11:54 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SkyMiles, Rapid Rewards, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
We had a turkey sandwich that had sliced apple on it while on a LAX-ATL flight in February (EATS menu in coach) - it was large enough for my wife and I to split - very yummy.
I had the same thing last week. It was amazing. They've updated it to a lunch selection on the new EATS menu that debuted on Monday and added brie and greens, taken away the apple butter and added honey mustard on a sub roll instead of bagel. Still amazing! And the cheese, fruit and cracker plate was extremely good too. I was beyond impressed with EATS. It would only make sense to me to offer a free EATS plate to F pax instead of a first meal.
Old Apr 3, 09, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by GVA View Post
IMHO it cheapens the product to give you the choice of an EATS product. Afterall you can see the dollar amount and it reduces the incentive to buy an F seat.
Like the quality (and plastic linen) of F meals on DL don't already cheapen the product?

I'll get laughed at for this, but I'm used to some decent quality NW F meals, and 3 of the last 5 DL F flights I've had to purchase from EATS because they had either run out of my selection or the F meal quality was so disgusting.
Old Apr 3, 09, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by GVA View Post
I would argue that an unsatisfactory meal reduces the incentive to buy the seat even more.

Search this Thread