Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

How long to pull miles and reissue ticket for Z upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:33 am
Original Poster

I have a confirmed TATL itinerary (M fare, Z confirmed upgrade) for which I phoned Delta yesterday to have my miles drawn and ticket reissued.

The representative who took my call (who was in Cincinatti), said she was forwarding my request to SLC and had me key in my pin code while I was on the phone to authorize the miles being withdrawn, and said it would be taken care of.

I've checked my account today, and miles have still not been drawn nor ticket reissued. How long should this normally take? I don't want to phone again if I don't have to, but I was surprised that it hadn't been done at least overnight.

I don't want to wait until I check in because I'm doing so in CPH and I have no idea if they know how to pull miles for an upgrade (or if they can/will).

Susan
Old Apr 2, 2009, 4:56 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
In my opinion it should take no time at all, and I don't think this is a transaction thast requires a "reissue," which is done by the Reissue Desk. In my experience, the SMS agent gets me "pin authorized" and then pulls the miles immediately.

Check to see if your online itiinerary refects a "BusinessElite" seat. If not, the change did not go through and you are NOT holding that Z seat. I would call again. If you DO have a seat assignment in BE, not much to worry about.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the CPH agents will know how to process an upgrade, but you can just have it taken care of by the US-based agent on your outbound leg.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 5:38 am
Original Poster

I was pin-authorized yesterday, but the miles weren't pulled. It does require a reissue, because otherwise, when re-printing the receipt (not itinerary), it will still reflect M fare and the agents at check-in will ask for miles or PMUs.

My itinerary is fine, showing BE (Z) confirmed, and I have BE seats reserved. But my e-ticket / receipt still shows M fare since the upgrade currency (in this case miles) have not been processed.

By comparison, we had PMUs applied to my husband's identical itinerary in January, and they reissued the e-tickets, so I can reprint his e-ticket / receipt and it reflects Z fare.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the CPH agents will know how to process an upgrade, but you can just have it taken care of by the US-based agent on your outbound leg.
Er . . . CPH is my outbound leg. I know they know how to process a PMU as I've done that in the past, but I don't know if they are capable of pulling miles.

Susan
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta PM
They just processed and re-issued my most recent M-to-Z-with-miles upgrade today, 11 days after the ticket was originally issued by my travel agent and I initiated the upgrade through SMS.

It's generally not an overnight process -- last time I did this (in December), it only took 4 days from requsting to re-issue, which seemed quicker than usual. In hindsight, they processed that one on 31 DEC, which may have been mere coincidence or possibly part of internal year-end bookkeeping.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by SusanDK
I have a confirmed TATL itinerary (M fare, Z confirmed upgrade) for which I phoned Delta yesterday to have my miles drawn and ticket reissued.

The representative who took my call (who was in Cincinatti), said she was forwarding my request to SLC and had me key in my pin code while I was on the phone to authorize the miles being withdrawn, and said it would be taken care of.

I've checked my account today, and miles have still not been drawn nor ticket reissued. How long should this normally take? I don't want to phone again if I don't have to, but I was surprised that it hadn't been done at least overnight.

I don't want to wait until I check in because I'm doing so in CPH and I have no idea if they know how to pull miles for an upgrade (or if they can/will).

Susan
When do you depart (roughly, don't need the exact date)?

Are you flying on a codeshare? DL operated or other?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Departing next week, on DL direct flight from CPH-ATL, then connecting ATL-MCO. All DL metal.

I was hoping to be able to print out the reissued e-ticket plus my statement showing the miles pulled as proof, just in case I get any fuss at check-in.

Susan
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:33 am

Your receipt will ALWAYS show "M" as the booking code... since that's what you paid for.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Your receipt will ALWAYS show "M" as the booking code... since that's what you paid for.
Not true. Once they process the miles or PMU, you can reprint your receipt / e-ticket, and it shows Z. I have my husband's right in front of me for our same trip next week. After they applied the PMUs back in January in the CRC, I was able to reprint the receipt and it had changed from M to Z. This is in the "Bkng Class" field on the eticket receipt.

Susan
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Er . . . CPH is my outbound leg. I know they know how to process a PMU as I've done that in the past, but I don't know if they are capable of pulling miles.

Susan
They are capable. I suggest you take a copy of your online statement showing the mileage deduction. In Dublin, I've carried mine as proof as they've questioned multiple times if I was certain that the miles had been deducted. Helps to have proof to avoid a double deduction.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N808DE
They are capable. I suggest you take a copy of your online statement showing the mileage deduction. In Dublin, I've carried mine as proof as they've questioned multiple times if I was certain that the miles had been deducted. Helps to have proof to avoid a double deduction.
But the miles haven't been pulled yet, so I don't have a statement to show. I thought it was odd since they said they'd do it yesterday, but I guess based on CurlyKrakow's experience, it isn't so odd that it should take some days.

Susan
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: S4
The speed of which this transaction takes place would be much quicker if Res Agents were empowered to pull the miles from Skymiles accounts like they do for wholly-mileage tickets.

Thankfully, even if the miles havn't been pulled from your account you can rest assured that as long as your itinary displays the G/Z upgrade, you'll be fine. Ofcourse the lengthy process of Airport processing if you're running late prior to check-in, becomes your greatest nemesis.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 1:13 pm

Not true. Once they process the miles or PMU, you can reprint your receipt / e-ticket, and it shows Z. I have my husband's right in front of me for our same trip next week. After they applied the PMUs back in January in the CRC, I was able to reprint the receipt and it had changed from M to Z. This is in the "Bkng Class" field on the eticket receipt.

Susan
My experience concurs with Susan's.

The re-issued receipt that arrived today for my upgrade has Z (BE) and G (F) as booking class, replacing M (Y) from the original ticket. Same result when I initiate another copy of the receipt from the webpage -- while the itinerary option shows the only the cabin (business / first) instead.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 1:19 pm

my current z/m fares currently only show M as the booking code.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 2:31 pm

my current z/m fares currently only show M as the booking code.
Is it PMU or miles? If miles, have they been deducted and the ticket re-issued yet?

I guess I'm curious if there's a difference on a system level based on the upgrade instrument/currency used. (25K miles ea/way on an M-class ticket is 'Code D571', if anyone else has addt'l info.)
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL GM

Susan
You're right. I just received a reissued ticket a couple of days ago when they pulled the miles for my trip later this month, and, as usual, the booking code for the upgraded segment has changed to Z.

Why don't you either email or call SMS again and ask about the holdup? Sometimes they just have a backlog for reissues and yours may be way down in the queue. If you call again, they might even connect you to the rebooking folks.

OTOH, DL agents, even in CPH, should have the codes for pulling the miles and know how to do it. If not, they can call for help. But I agree that it would be faster and simpler to have it done in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.