Wiki Posts
Search

Weight Balance - Who to Decrew - ASA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Weight Balance - Who to Decrew - ASA

I had a flight Monday at 7:45am from ATL to Toronto...they announced that due to weather in Toronto they needed to add more gas to the plane and therefore they needed two volunteers to get off the plane and take the next flight. Mind you, they did not offer any compensation...this announcement was made after we had all boarded by the check-in agent. One person volunteered immediately but no one else did. Eventually she got frustrated and said if no one volunteered she would have to select the last person who checked in...my question is, is that the way it is done all the time because I can tell you if that was me as a Platinum who paid $900 for that one way ticket to Toronto, I would have been as upset as the gentleman was who was asked to leave. I don't check in early as there is no upgrade to be had but now I certianly will.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't think there is a rule on who they choose to IDB. They can conceivably pick anyone, but having a method to the madness does help deflect potential for it being taken personally versus a "policy" decision.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by IrieDame
Mind you, they did not offer any compensation....
Don't worry....

The gent who was "asked to leave" would be due the IDB comp, enough to make the wait (and likely nice reroute) worthwhile, and I'm sure the volunteer was not left in the lurch. Given the choice between a RJ from ATL or a scenic tour of the US to get there (plus a voucher), there's nothing in Toronto requiring my rapisd arrival - Although hada I volunteered I would have expected a seat in some front cabin.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Well there are very few options for flights with the front cabins...90% or more are CRJs...and he was a consultant like most people on that flight so he needed to get to work...it was not pleasant. He was told he would be on the next flight which was another CRJ so no lovely tour of the ATL.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
I don't think there is a rule on who they choose to IDB.
The U.S. rule is that each airline has to have a rule, follow it reliably, and convey the information in writing to IDB'd passengers.

NW's rule is (was?) 'last checked in, first off'.

DL has a more complicated series that looks at elite status and whether or not one had a seat assignment (at time of check-in, IIRC).

Clearly the agent in YYZ did not follow DL's procedure as identified in the Contract of Carriage.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:55 am

I've had the misfortune of being on ASA when they had to "Recheck" people at the gate. The GA told the FA that people with status, and Corporate fares almost never get the boot. But a person on a T fare who's not even in Sky Miles? Pulled in a heart beat.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by TMOliver
Don't worry....

The gent who was "asked to leave" would be due the IDB comp, enough to make the wait (and likely nice reroute) worthwhile, and I'm sure the volunteer was not left in the lurch.
Denied boarding for weight and balance is not due IDB compensation. Additionally, DL's rule for space and weight denied boarding is last checked in, first off.

/I fly too many RJs.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by motytrah
But a person on a T fare who's not even in Sky Miles? Pulled in a heart beat.
This would make sense from the airlines point of view as well, as this type of passenger is likely to have less experience in this sort of situation and therefore more likely to take whatever excuse/compensation the airline is willing to bestow on them.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:40 am

It's a fairly simple procedure. As a GA you print out a computerized list with a certain
command. If it is followed according to the book...it's DOESN'T take into account
whether or not you are a Medallion. There is NO specific rule to skip Medallions or corporate fares as neither is printed on the list. EPs (Delta Executive Partner not SkyTeam ElitePlus) are not to be involed. No IDB for weight/balance is true for aircraft up to 60 seats. You can get IDB comp on CR9's and E170/75's.
BTW...I'm looking into whether or not changing your seat will change the time shown as checked in on the invol list....stay tuned.

Last edited by OHDL1; Mar 10, 2009 at 9:42 am Reason: addl info
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Yes, in the case of w/b when nobody else volunteers, they do pull off the last people checked in. IDB comp is not due b/c of the aircraft type. The GA can give 200 or 400 dl dollars if they want but is not required.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
The weather wasn't that bad up here yesterday. A little foggy but nothing out of the ordinary for a windy/wet March day.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Maybe it's just me, but I am getting off LOL! I don't want to be on the overweight plane!My life is worth more the the $900 the OP is worried about!

(And as for expecting it to be handled well... it's ASA, not going to happen IMHO!)
Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Well clearly not many people think their life is worth much as I am sure I had one of the more pricey tickets since other than one person no one else volunteered. All kidding aside, if I really thought my life was in jeopardy, I would have gotten off.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:06 pm

I can't say how many GAs do weight/bal IDB by the book or not. It was only three weeks ago ex-ATL I was on a CJ7 that yanked a bunch of people. I witnessed the GA telling the lead FA status and corp were exempt.

I would also say I was not impression by the "list" the GA was using. He kept calling people that never boarded. And then was getting threatening to recheck the entire plane. We left waaay late as they tried to sort it out.

The other tidbit he mentioned was luggage has highest priority. He had to yank even more PAX because a load of IRROP luggage showed up and had to be routed.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by elektronic
Denied boarding for weight and balance is not due IDB compensation. Additionally, DL's rule for space and weight denied boarding is last checked in, first off.

/I fly too many RJs.
In theory that's true for smaller planes, but Delta does compensate them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.