Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Amex card - 180 degrees, getting BAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2009, 5:20 am

Programs: DL Gold/SC, US Silver, HH Gold, PC Gold
Originally Posted by silkworm87
Has this happenned to anyone else?
I just signed up for a card had it for about two months, and they canceled it for no reason. But they had no problem keeping the full annual fee. To top that off they only gave me 10K with my 1st purchase instead of the 20K advertised.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 6:00 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Amex aren't the only one that can change their policies. I changed mine recently, cut up my Plat DL Skymiles Card and returned it to them with a letter canceling my account, with all the reasons for doing so including:

- Negative enhancements to the DL Skymiles program
- Negative changes in their T&C's
- Annual Fee is no longer value for money to me

I had a $30K+ credit limit. I am tired of these big financial institutions trying to stick to us little guys for their own greed
Old Mar 5, 2009, 6:28 am

I cancelled the Delta Amex card a long time ago, going instead with Starwood Amex. Even with double miles, I saw better value in Starwood's 125% on everything since I could point the Starwood miles at airlines who have awards available instead of arm-wrestling Delta for available seats. As time went on, the cost of upgradable fares on Delta went much higher, and given that and the current scarcity of awards, I'm glad I made the call I did.

Plus the annual fee is lower.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 6:30 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I cancelled the Delta Amex card a long time ago, going instead with Starwood Amex. Even with double miles, I saw better value in Starwood's 125% on everything since I could point the Starwood miles at airlines who have awards available instead of arm-wrestling Delta for available seats. As time went on, the cost of upgradable fares on Delta went much higher, and given that and the current scarcity of awards, I'm glad I made the call I did.

Plus the annual fee is lower.
Can the Starwood now be issued to non-American residents, too? I found some older threads but nothing current. Would appreciate input :-)
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Kind of bummed about the no "always double miles" coming to an end. Did not know about it and noticed this last statement did not have the bonus miles as usual. Guessing AMEX gave out all those miles it had bought from DL during those bankruptcy days and are finally streamlining how they give them out.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, PC, AA, UA
amex gripes

add me to the list. I wanted to buy a new laptop at the end of last month and realized i would have gone over my credit limit of 5K. I called amex to have them bump up the limit and they denied my request to bump it up by $2500.

I've been an amex member for 12 years and pay my balance in full every month.

I just used another card to purchase the computer and Amex lost out on the transaction fees. Sounds like great business by Amex. But not any more silly then them sending me what has to be $50 in marketing materials a year asking me to apply for a card I already have...ha!

Goofy times we live in.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by c_d
Can the Starwood now be issued to non-American residents, too? I found some older threads but nothing current. Would appreciate input :-)
Sorry, I don't know but I imagine that a quick email to Starwood would get the answer.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by bobgold
add me to the list. I wanted to buy a new laptop at the end of last month and realized i would have gone over my credit limit of 5K. I called amex to have them bump up the limit and they denied my request to bump it up by $2500.

I've been an amex member for 12 years and pay my balance in full every month.

I just used another card to purchase the computer and Amex lost out on the transaction fees. Sounds like great business by Amex. But not any more silly then them sending me what has to be $50 in marketing materials a year asking me to apply for a card I already have...ha!

Goofy times we live in.
Not just AMEX's fault. Depends on your credit score + other factors to determine immediate credit increase over the phone. Also, you have the right to an appeal with AMEX. I just got my cresit upped by $15K immediately with one phone call. When I asked why it was so easy, that was the explanation I got.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Yes, I am having problems with Delta Amex as well.

I have never really liked Amex customer service, and have always found their attitude towards customers to be less than satisfying.

But I had not had a credit limit problem with them (or anyone else before).
It actually is getting a little bit ridiculous.
I was given an impossibly low credit limit on my business reserve card, which makes the card unusable. The entire credit limit would be blown trying to buy a business class ticket, let along normal monthly expenses. The most ridiculous part of it is that I have other business cards with American Express and other companies that are 20-50 times higher. And in fact, American Express just increased my credit limit on another business card. I spoke with representatives, and they agreed that it was ridiculous. They said there was nothing they could do, since their new policy prohibits the transfer of credit lines from other cards, and that the only thing to do was to have them re-request a credit increase in 90 days.

I told them I would be canceling the card then, since 10,000mqm isn't worth it to me, but they told me the fee for the first year would be waived. So now I really don't understand it- they don't make the monthly fee, and they don't get the transaction fees they would have otherwise received (and which presumably make my company a very profitable customer).
Old Mar 11, 2009, 7:14 pm

Location: Los Angeles half the time, Orlando FL the other half.
Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Crown Room, Hertz Gold, Delta Amex Platinum, Advil Frequent Purchaser Program
Don't get me started on the Crown Room "membership" perk with the Reserve card. For a ridiculous yearly fee, I got a set of two Reidel wine glasses (Googled them and you can pick up a set of four of the same model number for $30.) and access to the CR instead of an actual membership which I had for years, so I actually have to pay for internet access if I don't bring my laptop.

I know. It's $6, But it's the flippin' principle. I pay a lot for that dadgum ridiculous black metalflake plastic rectangle.

Oh, and I just tried to use my Companion Certificate so my wife can join me in April...

Limited availability.

And I really don't feel like dragging her through Salt Lake on the way to arrive back in LA at 11p.

Want to know what kills me the most about this? Ready to really say "Sucker." under your breath?

I actually thought to myself "I know it's a kind of expensive card, but it seems like the perks will balance out, and (back when I agreed to take the card) Delta's struggling to remain profitable. Maybe I can help out a little." I'm 45. I still remember when people used to really get into airline loyalty. I remember an old road warrior in my parent's church being buried with his Million Miler pin. A ridiculous sentiment in 2009 which totally hosed me.

That said, I still really like Delta. But I wish they'd grab Amex by the scruff of the neck and deal with them before they destroy their rep.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Last edited by ImustbeinLA; Mar 11, 2009 at 7:17 pm Reason: Schpelling...
Old Mar 11, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
I just got hit too. 1/2 limit removed without warning. Limit is now just slightly above my balance which left me potentially open to some charges in the next few days taking me over my new limit.

Its not worth the fee anymore but if I close out the account it will hurt my credit score (even more than I am sure it has been hit with this recent limit reduction).
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by ImustbeinLA
...That said, I still really like Delta. But I wish they'd grab Amex by the scruff of the neck and deal with them before they destroy their rep....
Delta's been destroying their own rep for years. AMEX is just one aspect of it that's coming around to bite them. If you owe the devil one, he'll come back for his due.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:23 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by c_d
There is a US card and a Canadian card. That's it.......
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:02 pm

Programs: Plat Marriott, United, Delta, Alaskan Airlines
My credit is still at 32K. But I am upset also with the card and all the changes that were made in the past year. I have been a member since 96, but I am thinking of get it rid of it and maybe move to Starwood Amex. I have been fortunate to get award tickets every year for my family to fly to europe, but it's gettting much harder now. My year ends in august, and I will decide then. Not sure if we will use our companion ticket this year, so the fee it's not worth it.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:15 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rnlevi
Actually, the fact the you pay your bill on time does not make you an ideal customer. Those who carry a balance (thus paying interest each month), make on-time payments (consistent money stream for Amex), and still use their card (transactional revenue) are the ideal customers for all credit card issues.

I can't remember the term, but people who are responsible with their credit and do not incur any late fees or interest are considered "freeloaders!"
are considered "Deadbeats" by the credit card industry..@:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.