Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Delta Upgrade Question

Hello,

I am currently scheduled for a flight to Rabat, Morocco on a Government fare. I typically fly United and Star Alliance, however since there are no Star Alliance members that fly to Morocco, I am forced to fly Delta/Air France for this particular trip.

I was wondering however, if there is anyway that I could get an upgrade through Delta from economy to business/first. I know United you can use a systemwide upgrade, use miles or pay at the gate if available.

What choices do I have with Delta Skymiles program and do they work with government fares? Also, will Delta match my status with United if I sign up for Delta skymiles?

Thanks for the help!

Brent M. Burklo
USAF_O1
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Delta does not do day of departure international upgrades. Doesn't matter if you want to use a PMU (DL equivilent of SWU), miles or cash (unless by cash you mean pay the fare differential between your ticket and the going business class fare, which DL will be glad to do).

Not sure if DL status matches, but NW does - they'll give you Silver based on your UA 2P status. NW and DL programs are pretty much the same now. You'll get a 50% Y fare bonus (since I think gov't fares book into Y) and a 25% mileage bonus. Several FTers here have made Medallion on government fares.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by mersk862
Not sure if DL status matches, but NW does - they'll give you Silver based on your UA 2P status. NW and DL programs are pretty much the same now. You'll get a 50% Y fare bonus (since I think gov't fares book into Y) and a 25% mileage bonus. Several FTers here have made Medallion on government fares.
DL does status match. To Silver in the OP's case which would not provide any PMUs for upgrades.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

I called Delta just a minute ago and they said they do not status match. I was talkin to a non-english native speaker, however. Do I need to speak with someone else?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by USAF_O1
I called Delta just a minute ago and they said they do not status match. I was talkin to a non-english native speaker, however. Do I need to speak with someone else?
Check out this thread for info on matches/challenges by various airlines (including DL).
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by USAF_O1
I am currently scheduled for a flight to Rabat, Morocco on a Government fare. I typically fly United and Star Alliance, however since there are no Star Alliance members that fly to Morocco, I am forced to fly Delta/Air France for this particular trip.
I'm thinking we are in related lines of work, as several of my co-workers are planning a similar trip to Morocco in the near future.

That said, they are all flying the ATL-CDG leg on a Gov't Y fare, which is eligible for a mileage (or PMU) upgrade. On their chosen flights, the upgrades are available and they will be exchanging miles (one is Gold and the other two are Silver) for seats in BE. From a Y fare, you'll need 15K miles each way. From a B or M fare, it is 25K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.