Connector from B to C at ATL

Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
Connector from B to C at ATL

I was reading on Wikipedia that there is/was a connector from the B to C concourse, around the gate 29 in Atlanta. In fact, it still shows on the terminal map on the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport website. http://www.atlanta-airport.com/forms...nger/pdf/b.pdf

So I had extra time before my flight, and walked over there to see what it looked like. It was covered over with drywall and you can see where the signs had been changed.

Just curious to you regular Atlanta fliers what the connector used to look like. Is the tunnel between the two concourses still there, and did it have a moving sidewalk? Any logical explanation why they stopped it, other than money?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:04 pm

There was a connector and it did have moving sidewalks. It's been a while since I've used it, but I don't recall any artwork or anything fancy. Just a plain connection tunnel.

ATL shortcut closure says it closed for baggage sorting.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:06 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
It's closed - I've heard it's not coming back.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Yup - closed for improvements to the baggage system.

Was absolutely nothing special. Think the T5-T6 connection tunnel at LAX, just with moving walkways. Only connector with artwork at ATL to my knowledge is between T and A.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:58 pm

Holy Cow! I lived in Atlanta for years and years and never knew this existed. I thought it was some sort of shuttle connections. I'm...actually kind of sad that I missed this. Oh well...live and learn.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL, UA
True, it was nothing special. But still fun. It went slightly downhill for the first half, then slightly uphill again. Most times I took it I was the only person in it, so it was nice and quiet
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I used ATL for years before I read about the tunnel in FT & located it the next time I had to go from C to B. You almost had to know it was there & be looking directly at it to see it. Usage seems sparse.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
The tunnel was built with the original ATL airport construction because at that time, Eastern had half of B and the C concourses. DL had A and half of B. The extra tunnel made connections on EA more convenient.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL-PM/R, 1985 US
Can FT gripe enough to get it back open?

Let's raise hell, I'm going to miss it.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
thank you everyone for your information...mystery solved.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by blue_hubba
True, it was nothing special. But still fun. It went slightly downhill for the first half, then slightly uphill again. Most times I took it I was the only person in it, so it was nice and quiet
I liked that it was a little secret about the ATL airport most travelers didn't know about. Sad that it is closed now.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
Originally Posted by aeolos
I liked that it was a little secret about the ATL airport most travelers didn't know about. Sad that it is closed now.
I was actually planning on looking for it while I am in ATL next week. Oh well... you snooze, you lose, eh?
Old Mar 31, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL
Wait...the walkway between B and C is closed, but the train is still running right?
Old Mar 31, 2009, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
Wait...the walkway between B and C is closed, but the train is still running right?
They aren't talking about the walkway which shares the same tunnel with the train. This was another tunnel which only connected B and C.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.