Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta is Retrenching....and perhaps giving some of it back....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, Avis First

From the website:
https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...ates/index.jsp

Redeposit/Reissue Fee Exemption Changes Update
Effective March 1, 2009, the Award Ticket reissue and redeposit fee for Platinum Medallion members will be waived for two different reservations per year. Platinum Medallion members will be charged $50 for any additional Award Ticket changes. The 50% Medallion Qualification Mileage and base mileage bonus in Y, B and M booking classes will remain in 2009.

Coming soon, Platinum and Gold Medallion members will receive Elite Complimentary Upgrades on Award Tickets. In early February, all members will be able to link and transfer miles between their SkyMiles and WorldPerks account
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
As I already said elsewhere:

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Chicken feed. This is an insult.

Between the two of us, my wife & I did 17 redeposits/reissues last years. This would leave us with 13 x $100 in fees or (more likely) tremendous amounts of phone time wasted until just the right itins become available.

Aslo, what happens when the reservation contains tickets for non-Platinum members or (for example) for a family of 5 but only two exemptions are available?

Originally Posted by gaugeguy
Award Ticket Fee Waiver
We've waived the Award redemption fee for Platinum Medallion members for Award Tickets booked or purchased on or after April 4, 2006. Through February 28, 2009 the award reissue and redeposit fee will continue to be waived for Platinum Medallions. Beginning March 1, 2009 we will waive the reissue or redeposit fee for two reservations per member year for Platinum Medallions.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_....jsp#feewaiver
This is just a bad joke.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:12 pm

Seems like they're making a compromise

Edit: They're "trying" to...
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by hur88
It's a pretty sucky compromise.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:19 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
As I already said elsewhere:

This is just a bad joke.
You had 17 awards or a few awards multiple times. I'd assume here that the same award modified 5 or 6 times to get it perfect only counts as one award change.

I would also think an award pulled from a Platinum member for a non-platinum member is covered. If a non platinum member (lets say a wife that is gold) has an award pulled to match a platinum member would need to pay the change fees.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by hur88
Yes, somewhat of a compromise, but their solution does not address the core issue: award calendar sucks big time and for PM's who fly the most, and have the hardest time scheduling vacations, it is almost impossible to get the routing you want the first time.

I'm sure I'm considered one of the "abusers" of the previous "all reissue/redeposit fees waived" system. Since any type of change at all is considered a reissue, this 2 time waiver really means nothing. I have 400K miles to burn, and with this 2 time waiver, it will be slightly easier to burn them compared to zero waivers. But no way am I going to stick with DL going forward (sending match request to CO ASAP) and rack up more miles that I won't be able to use with my convoluted travel schedule that requires most award tickets to be tweaked or changed.

As others have said, DL's draconian decision to not waive reissue/redeposit fees for PM as a solution to the stated 'abuse' is the last straw for this once dedicated DL lover. Throwing the baby out with the bath water anyone?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:23 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by thepla
You had 17 awards or a few awards multiple times. I'd assume here that the same award modified 5 or 6 times to get it perfect only counts as one award change.
Wishful thinking. Every new ticket number I am sure means another change, counting toward your two free.

Originally Posted by thepla
I would also think an award pulled from a Platinum member for a non-platinum member is covered. If a non platinum member (lets say a wife that is gold) has an award pulled to match a platinum member would need to pay the change fees.
I would think this is true - any award from a PM member is under the rules of two free changes. But this is a cr@ppy giveback. At least they do realize to some degree what they have done. But they have no idea how bitter the PM's are about this and other changes.

I have been handing out the flyers today produced by Jaimito both at MCI and at the WC in MSP. Elites/medallions are genuinely thankful while at the same time genuinely shocked. I am flying NW so most are NW elites but some are DL medallions. Word is getting out!

John
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by fti
Wishful thinking. Every new ticket number I am sure means another change, counting toward your two free.

I would think this is true - any award from a PM member is under the rules of two free changes. But this is a cr@ppy giveback. At least they do realize to some degree what they have done. But they have no idea how bitter the PM's are about this and other changes.

I have been handing out the flyers today produced by Jaimito both at MCI and at the WC in MSP. Elites/medallions are genuinely thankful while at the same time genuinely shocked. I am flying NW so most are NW elites but some are DL medallions. Word is getting out!

John
If they do it by ticket number and not locator than this means nothing. I have a simple award MKE-CPH-VCE and back that I've changed 4 times. Since it is in October it is impossible to get it correct in just a few tries.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:43 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
I believe two reservations means just that PNRs - not ticket numbers. Stick your whole family on it and it is waived for as many changes as you want.

The fact that they mention Y, B, M fares means that someone is reading what is going on here. A pity they can't stop to say hello. COInsider doesn't seem to have those problems... Neither did NWScoop.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
There is the positive that they have backed off only giving 100% MQMs for YBM fares (it will still be 150%--at least through this year), and allowing possible upgrades on coach award tickets (of course, we'll have to see how that works).
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by csgoalie
Sensors detect that the other guy blinked.

Good find, thanks for posting....

David
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by csgoalie
From the website:
https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...ates/index.jsp

Redeposit/Reissue Fee Exemption Changes Update
Effective March 1, 2009, the Award Ticket reissue and redeposit fee for Platinum Medallion members will be waived for two different reservations per year. Platinum Medallion members will be charged $50 for any additional Award Ticket changes. The 50% Medallion Qualification Mileage and base mileage bonus in Y, B and M booking classes will remain in 2009.

Coming soon, Platinum and Gold Medallion members will receive Elite Complimentary Upgrades on Award Tickets. In early February, all members will be able to link and transfer miles between their SkyMiles and WorldPerks account
Interesting tactic. Certainly not enough to keep me from looking for greener pastures. Especially since I just qualified for platinum; if they were going to implement this in 2010 instead of a month from now at least I would not feel so cheated by evil Delta.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Sensors detect that the other guy blinked.

Good find, thanks for posting....

David
Either they blinked or they wanted to see how far they could go on an incursion.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
Am I the only one that thinks DL should be applauded for listening to the feedback we have given? Personally I feel that two changes are fair. The YBM problem is fixed, and with award travel receiving upgrades, I am positive that does mean LUT will receive space available upgrades as well. So long as they don't drop the 100% eqm on LUT fares, I think this is a major win for us and a move deserving of kudos for Delta.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL GM
This strikes me as a fairly reasonable compromise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.