Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Thanks for the ginger ale but where's my ice cream?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks for the ginger ale but where's my ice cream?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Wasn't there a flight out of Oz which was turned back and emptied because someone found a note in the WC which read "BOB"? (It was interpreted as meaning "bomb on board.)
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by jbatl
For now. If you don't think DL will do away with that sooner rather than later, well ...
Yes and no. I think NW has wanted to get rid of it for a couple years now (like they did with TPAC). Word on the street it's because of the JV TATL agreement with KL that keeps the booze flowing in Y.

NW is supposed to start doing the DL inflight service soon. Will TPAC booze end then? Maybe. Certainly it will be gone when operating certificates merge.

I'm just happy Ginger Ale is back and hoping to get my hands on some Woodford Reserve.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sxf24
The mid-flight snacks on shorter European flights has been replaced with BOB. Meals and arrival snack remain complimentary.

DL provides a complimentary drink of your choice with meals.
BOB TA is an insult..... again bad DL, bad DL

the drink -- as you pointed out is in the singular, and only w/ the main meal. A european carrier isn't stingy for the same price. So again, why should I give DL my money when someone else will give me more for the same $$?

Dave
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Davescj
BOB TA is an insult..... again bad DL, bad DL

the drink -- as you pointed out is in the singular, and only w/ the main meal. A european carrier isn't stingy for the same price. So again, why should I give DL my money when someone else will give me more for the same $$?

Dave
Is it really? How many meals do you need on a 6 hour flight? Most other carriers (US or European) don't offer much for a mid-flight snack on East Coast - Western Europe flights.

However, I agree, European carriers are generally better in Y. Particularly if you're an alcoholic.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:36 am

For the most part, in Europe, Beer and Wine is no more expensive than soft drinks. In particular the varieties offered in Y. So it's not like European carriers are being more generous. They would just have a hard time justifying free pop and $5-7 alcohol.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: DL, UA
The mid-flight snacks on shorter European flights has been replaced with BOB. Meals and arrival snack remain complimentary.
What's the definition of "shorter"? I took DUS->ATL last week, which took 10:30. No complimentary mid-flight snack and just BOB on that one, too.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Why can't we just take NW's T/A service and use that as the standard? Sure, the meal was nothing special (not that DL's is...), but free booze, comfortable seats, AVOD, large overhead bins (not the tiny ones in the center on the 767-300s), free ice cream prior to arrival. For a 9h LHR-MSP service, it wasn't bad at all.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:05 pm

they were selling snacks on my atl hnl flt. meals were free tho.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:11 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mersk862
Why can't we just take NW's T/A service and use that as the standard? Sure, the meal was nothing special (not that DL's is...), but free booze, comfortable seats, AVOD, large overhead bins (not the tiny ones in the center on the 767-300s), free ice cream prior to arrival. For a 9h LHR-MSP service, it wasn't bad at all.
Product wise, NW's transatlantic flights beat the hell out of DL's. The meal quality is about two notches above. I've never had a bad meal on NW in Y, whereas on DL I've had my fair share (especially from ATL).

Not sure why DL are cutting their product down. Their meal options are already poor compared to all the others (in particular all the Europeans).
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by GVA
Product wise, NW's transatlantic flights beat the hell out of DL's. The meal quality is about two notches above. I've never had a bad meal on NW in Y, whereas on DL I've had my fair share (especially from ATL).

Not sure why DL are cutting their product down. Their meal options are already poor compared to all the others (in particular all the Europeans).
Be patient, DL will downgrade the NW service as soon as they can.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
So we've gone from mid-flight ice cream to peanuts to BOB now? I know DL is trying to make a profit and they gotta cut some things at times. However, I'd rather DL just serve me the meal after take-off and serve me the pizza (or breakfast depending on the direction) near the end of the flight and serve nothing in-between than hawk Pringles and M&Ms for sale.

BOB on a TATL flight is just plain tacky. If DL wants to be a "premier international airline", it needs to stop looking at US as its competitor and start looking at BA, LH, SQ, KE, etc.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mersk862
DL still provides an arrival snack. The ice cream was a 3rd service, served mid-flight.

NW definitely has an upper hand with the Airbus and free booze, but its meal service in Y has never been anything special.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:42 pm

NW definitely has an upper hand with the Airbus and free booze
The booze is only free in Y on NW TATL flights. Fly NW TPAC in Y, and you're paying for all your booze, so DL actually has the upper hand there.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:43 pm

Programs: Delta - Plat, Marriott - Platinum, Starwood - Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
Of course, if you are flying Alitalia booze is a necessity to keep you from going insane during a flight across the pond.
Is there something I should know about my FCO-JFK flight that I should be concerned about? Haha
Old Jan 23, 2009, 6:02 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
DL still provides an arrival snack. The ice cream was a 3rd service, served mid-flight.
There's no still in terms of the rest of the industry. Everyone provides an arrival snack. In fact, some (incl. AF) of the Europeans have a small bar in Y on their longer flights where you can pick up a small sandwich or icecream, twix, etc...

There's a danger for Delta that the more cuts they do the more people will flock to the other airlines. As far as I see it DL has never had a good product and is just leading me towards the likes of BA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.