Within upgrade window, but won't upgrade

Old Jan 4, 09, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Within upgrade window, but won't upgrade

I have a PBI-LGA booked for the 7th, I am a GM and when I do a dummy booking it is showing upgrade availability, however, my upgrade has not automatically been processed. I called up SMS twice, one time I was told (and I kid you not) that U fares aren't eligible for Medallion Upgrades (!), and the second time I called I was told that because I am GM, there will be PM's ahead of me and that's why I haven't gotten it.
I think I've been playing this game long enough to know the hierarchy, and when "upgrade: available" is the status shown when doing a dummy booking, I think all arrows point to something not being right with DL's computer system. I just don't want a bunch of FO's to get UG'd and take what was rightfully mine because of some glitch. Do I have any recourse (besides speaking to a SMS agent with a IQ above 80...which prior to today I thought were plentiful)?
Old Jan 4, 09, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by DL4EVR View Post
I think I've been playing this game long enough to know the hierarchy, and when "upgrade: available" is the status shown when doing a dummy booking, I think all arrows point to something not being right with DL's computer system. I just don't want a bunch of FO's to get UG'd and take what was rightfully mine because of some glitch. Do I have any recourse (besides speaking to a SMS agent with a IQ above 80...which prior to today I thought were plentiful)?
I guess call back because my experience with SMS is a lot different than yours. Most of them are well educated and very helpful. Ask them point blank if V class is available. Then tell them that you would like that. If it helps, ask them to try to do a new booking too.
Old Jan 4, 09, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond in 2010, Kimpton Inner Circle
I have a PBI-LGA booked for the 7th, I am a GM and when I do a dummy booking it is showing upgrade availability, however, my upgrade has not automatically been processed. I called up SMS twice, one time I was told (and I kid you not) that U fares aren't eligible for Medallion Upgrades (!), and the second time I called I was told that because I am GM, there will be PM's ahead of me and that's why I haven't gotten it.
Could be that your fare class is U on your PNR and what you are looking at today is K fares. Fare class could be mattering on your u/g. You will probably clear at the gate.
Old Jan 4, 09, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by tarajim View Post
Could be that your fare class is U on your PNR and what you are looking at today is K fares. Fare class could be mattering on your u/g. You will probably clear at the gate.
Should have nothing to do with it. If V Class is there, it's there and if you're within your window, you're entitled to it. Chances are that V Class number will stay exactly the same until the one day window, when a Silver Medallion will get that seat.

For the OP, I'm wondering if he went from a FO to a GM in the not too distant past and this itinerary was booked when he was a FO...
Old Jan 4, 09, 10:54 am
Original Poster

I did go from FO to GM recently, but this was booked after I became a GM. But that could be the best explanation...for some reason maybe it still is showing up as FO. I will call back. And to indufan...this usually isn't my experience with SMS either...that's why I found it to be so shocking!
Old Jan 4, 09, 11:02 am

Programs: CO PE, DL PM
If you provide your flight number, there are people here that can do a quick check using EF or KVS to see exactly what is available. It looked like the morning flight is zero'd, the afternoon has 1, and the evening is wide open (v=7)
Old Jan 4, 09, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I'm on the 6:20. I called up SMS, and indeed this flight had me listed as a GM already. The agent gave me the 72 hours line this time (even though I know that it usually clears at midnight of the 3 day mark, regardless of what time the flight is). If by tonight it doesn't clear, I'll call again.
Old Jan 4, 09, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
I did go from FO to GM recently, but this was booked after I became a GM. But that could be the best explanation...for some reason maybe it still is showing up as FO.
There is your reason right there. The SkyMiles number needs to be taken out and reinserted.
Old Jan 4, 09, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
There is your reason right there. The SkyMiles number needs to be taken out and reinserted.
Huh? OP just stated that the reservation (as seen by SMS) showed him as Gold, and that he booked this flight after becoming gold. Why would his number need to be reinserted??
Old Jan 4, 09, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Rewards Gold; Amex Platinum
This happened to me last week from JFK-TPA on the 26th. I'm GM, but did not clear at 72 hours, even with 11 seats open in FC. SMS told me that Delta was holding the seats open for revenue sale because Y was heavily oversold. I argued for a bit, but obviously it did no good. I ended up clearing at the gate, being #1 on the upgrade list. It doesn't seem particularly fair, and it is certainly frustrating, but not much that can be done.
Old Jan 4, 09, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by eba205 View Post
This happened to me last week from JFK-TPA on the 26th. I'm GM, but did not clear at 72 hours, even with 11 seats open in FC. SMS told me that Delta was holding the seats open for revenue sale because Y was heavily oversold. I argued for a bit, but obviously it did no good. I ended up clearing at the gate, being #1 on the upgrade list. It doesn't seem particularly fair, and it is certainly frustrating, but not much that can be done.
Your situation is different from the OP. There was probably no V availabilty and that is why you didn't get the upgrade at the window. The OP has the availability on his flight, but can't find someone to process it when he got missed somehow by the system. His situation is rare and wrong, yours is how the system works
Old Jan 4, 09, 8:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I had the same thing happen to me in October, but mine was because I had booked as an FO and was a GM and the skymiles number hadn't been taken out & reinserted. I saw the upgrade was "Available" when doing a dummy search, like the OP. I called SMS and they got me upgraded. I sort of played dumb, "Can you help me with this, I don't understand what's wrong, if I reserved this flight today it says I'd be upgraded." A couple of clicks later and she asked me if I wanted a window or aisle.

In light of your frustrations with SMS, it now appears I was pretty lucky, but my advice would be to keep calling back until you get someone who will help you....
Old Jan 4, 09, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tracyutah View Post
I had the same thing happen to me in October, but mine was because I had booked as an FO and was a GM and the skymiles number hadn't been taken out & reinserted. I saw the upgrade was "Available" when doing a dummy search, like the OP. I called SMS and they got me upgraded. I sort of played dumb, "Can you help me with this, I don't understand what's wrong, if I reserved this flight today it says I'd be upgraded." A couple of clicks later and she asked me if I wanted a window or aisle.

In light of your frustrations with SMS, it now appears I was pretty lucky, but my advice would be to keep calling back until you get someone who will help you....
Thanks, tried calling again tonight, still with no results unfortunately. I guess I'll try back again tomorrow...do you think I could ask for a supervisor? I almost feel like calling so many times is going to get me the dreaded SSSS...
Old Jan 4, 09, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
If you're within your upgrade window and there is V class available and the flight is not under gate control, then the upgrade is yours.

www.expertflyer.com can tell you if there is V class. Armed with that information, the conversation with SMS becomes:

"Hi, I can see V class availability on my flight but the computer has missed it for some reason. Would you please process that upgrade for me? Thanks."
Old Jan 4, 09, 11:21 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, NW Gold for '09
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Unless there's been a recent change that isn't necessary anymore. If you are FO and change to GM your PNR will update automatically "provided" you haven't begun travel on any segment on that ticket. If you go from FO to GM in the middle of a journey then your PNR is stuck in FO status and no one except the primary gate agent (though even they have trouble) can remove it and reinsert it.

Not even Global Assist can do it, and they can do EVERYTHING!!!

Last edited by luvsbucks; Jan 4, 09 at 11:28 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: