Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone have luck getting a lost item returned?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Anyone have luck getting a lost item returned?

I left a library book in the seat back pocket on Tuesday evening ATL to STL. I have called the Lost and "Found" and of course no luck as of yet.

Anyone had any luck getting a lost item back? I was just wondering if I should wait, or go ahead and let the library know that I owe them a new book.

Thanks for any input.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM
No luck whatsoever here. My loss was also a book, and I made numerous calls to Delta and contacted Customer Service by email. First and only time I've not received a reply from Delta Customer Service, not even a "very sorry we can't help" reply.

Let us know if you do somehow manage to get it back.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta - Plat Medallion, Hyatt Gold Passport - Platinum, Hilton Hon - Gold VIP, SPG Gold
I actually recovered a jacket I left on a flight into SNA. I called Customer Service, got the number for DL at SNA, they told me that had the jacket and held until I was able to get back to the airport the next day.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President Circle
AirTran returned a notebook to me once - after 8 MONTHS!

I wonder who runs those departments for airlines. I bet most lost and found goes home as employee booty...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: AA CK; DL PM; UA GS; HH DI; MR TTM; AVIS CC
No Luck

I once realized I left my iPod in the Seat Back in 1st class about 15 seconds after I passed out of security. It was late at night and the only one I could find was in the Delta baggage office. They called up and the crew had left the plane. Long story short I got a song and dance about how they would have it to me tomorrow since I got to them so quick. It never showed, and when I called to follow up on it Delta was like "Oh, sorry, who are you again ?"

So some Miami cleaning or flight crew member has a new iPod.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta DM/SkyClub
I left a $100 extra laptop battery in seat at ANC. Was home in Orlando when I realized I had left it. I called ANC baggage, they had it, I gave the guy my FedEx Acct #, he shipped it to me and I got it 2 days later. Awesome!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Projector - Yes.
Wallet - Yes. (RDU)
Wallet - Yes. (Second Time, this one was ATL)
Cell Phone - No.

That's 3/4 of the time yes. (Now I'm they guy looking all around the seat as he leaves.)
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Blackberry that fell out of my pocket in a taxi in Sacramento - Yes ^
Blackberry that fell out of briefcase going through security in ORD - Yes ^
Both of the above thanks to Stuffbak

Blackberry left in Crown Room - No. DL yawned when I called and had zero interest in checking their lost and found. But whoever found it first made a local call in the Atlanta area, then several hundred dollars of international calls, all before my flight landed and I was able to report it.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:26 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Got back a sweater that I left ATL-AMS. Went to some office at AMS prior to my departure and it was waiting for me.

That's all that I've left in an airplane itself. Had a few things I lost in the airport (blackberry, cell phone). Retrieved one from the Crown Room at SFO. Left a blackberry in the gate area at DEN. Gone within 5 minutes.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by axe1982
So some Miami cleaning or flight crew member has a new iPod.
Funny, it was the Miami cleaning crew that found my laptop that I left on the plane in SLC and it flew to ATL and onto MIA before it was found.

As for a book, I would say that chances are less than slim and nearly none.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
As for a book, I would say that chances are less than slim and nearly none.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kvonhoene
Thanks for the encouragement.
Anytime.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL-DM; HHonors-Diamond; SPG-Platinum; Marriott-Gold
Unclaimed Luggage goes to Scottsboro AL

Originally Posted by Big Red Bill
I wonder who runs those departments for airlines. I bet most lost and found goes home as employee booty...
Unclaimed Luggage and lost items are purchased by this company and resold (cheaply, I might add) see:
http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:57 pm
jrd

Programs: DL:DM HH:Gold MR:Silver
I have recovered my laptop charger on my seat when departing at DEN airport and gone to the Delta baggage office the next day and recovered it. He did tell me that they keep it for 48 hours and send it to a central facility somewhere...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
I never put anything in the seat back pocket since an FA removed my Newsweek magazine and told me that passengers were not permitted to put personal material in those pockets.

I still debate the accuracy of that policy with my husband who claims he hears it occasionally when they make the safety announcements.

Two items lost while traveling - neither left on plane. Husband left brand new diamond ring at TSA screening and discovered it just three minutes before take-off. FA over heard us discussing it. She called DL counter, and they went to TSA. The ring was in the safe at the DL counter before we reached our destination. We picked it up 4 weeks later when we returned to JAX.

I left wallet on luggage cart dispenser in Baltimore. I realized I had done that no more than two minutes later. Wallet never showed up anywhere. Canceled credit cards and had to have husband over-night passport so I had ID to use when returning home.

I would estimate the chances of seeing a library book again to be about 1%. If your library is like mine you may not travel with a library book again. You will not only pay for the cost of a new book, but you have to pay for the cataloging system for the book. It about doubles the cost of a regular hard-back book. I'd at least try to locate it before reporting that you have lost it. If you have to replace the book you will very likely not have to pay any late fees for the book.

I am sorry you had this experience, but it is the major reason why I never travel with anything other than a paperback book that I own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.