Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Thank you Delta! You are making it possible to surprise my girlfriend!!!

Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

So this isn't quite the forum for this I guess... but I thought I'd post it here anyway.

Next week after Christmas my girlfriend and her brother are going from Florida to a church youth retreat in Michigan. They are both flying using SkyMiles. I wasn't planning on going because she was coming out to Arizona next month... well that was until work canceled the idea and said she couldn't get the time off like they originally said she could (now it looks like April).

Because I had just went back to Ohio for her sister's wedding I couldn't afford to go to the retreat so soon after. But after I heard she's not coming out in January I decided I'd try and see if I can make something work out to go to the retreat (because April is a loooong ways off!).

Well it looks like I've got all clear from work, etc. and I've found some Delta flights that I can use my SkyMiles on. I'm really excited about this because I haven't told her anything about this and I was going to surprise her at the DTW airport when she got in. But it dawned on me tonight that I could find out from her brother what flight they are on ATL-DTW and I can probably work it out so that I can fly up from ATL on the same flight.

I'm really excited that this will probably work out! All thanks to Delta and SkyMiles! I got to thinking that probably, yes, Delta (and many other airlines) do this every day unknowingly for their customers but... I guess this means quite a bit to me (and I know it will to her) since we aren't the richest people in the world and we have to economize as much as possible.

I'm so jazzed about it I was thinking maybe Delta would be interested in taking our story on how they are making this happen as a promo thing they could use (like on their blog or something). I figured it wouldn't be too hard to accomplish since we will be in ATL. But I'm not quite sure who I could contact about this.

Just another one of my crazy idea... I know... if nothing else though let this post be a thank you to Delta!

Thank you Delta!

[Anyone got good ideas to make the surprise/trip even better?]

Last edited by jcp411; Dec 16, 2008 at 11:30 pm Reason: adding
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by jcp411

Ask here to marry you?

Dress in a garters, and a bra and ask her how she thinks it looks?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
You are correct, this hardly seems the correct forum for the OP's post.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Anyone got good ideas to make the surprise/trip even better?
Show up with a couple more girlfriends?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
I thought the "surprise" was going to involve wx delays and vdbs in Atlanta.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 4:57 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Well 'tis the season...so I thought it was sweet! Hope it is a precious moment indeed! :-:
Old Dec 17, 2008, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
I'm glad for the OP (seriously), but getting an award ticket is no different from buying a ticket. You ARE paying for it, albeit in a different currency.

I'm trying to imagine a promo like: "We bring couples together as long as you have the money or miles to pay for your ticket."
Old Dec 17, 2008, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bescobar
You are correct, this hardly seems the correct forum for the OP's post.
I agree with you... (some of the replies guys... ummm... I know it's meant in good humor but...) :/
Old Dec 17, 2008, 7:54 am

when the writing is on the wall...

Why do you think she doesn't want to see you until April? Real girls don't like surprises. You should tell her that you are coming while you can still cancel the ticket.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta; Marriott Silver
I hope the OP is not the one to show up and get a surprise.

LS
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er
when the writing is on the wall...

Why do you think she doesn't want to see you until April? Real girls don't like surprises. You should tell her that you are coming while you can still cancel the ticket.
Let us know how this turns out.

I'm with w0rldtraveler on this one. January is a funny time not to be able to get days off. With many people just having gotten back from vacation, most companies depositing the new year's days off into your bank, and many people wanting to bank vacation days for the rest of the year, it seems odd a company would not be able to accomodate someone who wanted a January vacation. Every company I've ever worked for has honored vacation requests made over a month in advance...

I'd call her and tell her that you may be able to go visit her Florida in January. Tell her you found a cheap flight for a certain day, but you need to book it right now and wanted to check if that would work. See if she comes up with a reason for you to not take the flight. ("I'm having surgery that weekend." or "I need to wash my hair that day.") If she seems okay with you visiting, call back in 15 minutes and tell her the fare disappeared, you won't be able to visit, and surprise her in Michigan. If not, save the SkyMiles.

Please post the results of your visit afterwards. Maybe long distance relationships don't all end in the way my cynical mind thinks they do.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
I'm glad for the OP (seriously), but getting an award ticket is no different from buying a ticket. You ARE paying for it, albeit in a different currency.

I'm trying to imagine a promo like: "We bring couples together as long as you have the money or miles to pay for your ticket."
This is exactly what I was thinking!!!! It's not like DL handed him a free ticket. But congratulations nonetheless!!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
Oh....the delights of young love. I am very happy that you were able to work things out, and thanks for sharing your happy news. We can all use a bit of happy news this time of year. I doubt DL would use your story for a promotion, but it would not hurt to write to them and tell them how you spent your sky miles and why you were glad they were available. Stranger things have happened.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Maybe A & E can gather their Airline crew together since they aren't filming WN anymore.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

Paging Dovster. Oh wait, you mean a nice surprise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.