Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Intl upgrade to First from a Coach T purchased seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intl upgrade to First from a Coach T purchased seat?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM '04; Hyatt Diamond
woody125

Thanks, Woody125, I think.. No, I'm not as big as you, though I have a lumbar support that pushes me 3 inches forward, so I think our legs are about the same length now from back of seat to front...

no they have never taken miles back. Also, I only ever have a problem in one direction... so I only ever ask for half the fare back. it is only fare (fair)...

Yes, I did give up the ability to lay completely flat. But there was one of my seats that was not with the others... so I did not relish the idea of switching seats with other PAX and FAs to get mine all together on this seg, going back is fine. SO I thought I would give first a try. I wound up laying as far back as I could with my lumbar pillow, then adding the down pillow they gave us under my shoulder blades, neck and head. Worked pretty good as I slept through breakfast. The thing about laying across 3 seats is that though great for the back, the head and legs tend to be a bit bound up, like sleeping on your grandmother's couch with wooden armrests.

Yeah, it's strange to do this this way, but it gets me the room to protect my back, the status I need for domestic upgrades; and now -- avoid baggage fees, avoid award ticket fees, etc (with 4 award tickets per family adventure, cancellations could be costly.)

You know, I think I remember how I started doing this. I used to go to Europe to race in the winter and found that the extra seat helped me to avoid the HUGE costs (as much as another seat!!!) of the "extra overweight baggage fees" - once they wanted to charge me $600 for my bag, I tried getting help for 2 hours before they let me go for half the fee. My ticket then only cost $400 or 500... I was fit to be tied!! with an extra seat, it was still cheaper than the heavy fee to Europe. I could split my equipment across 4 bags instead of 2; and get the credit... that was the first year that I made silver or gold... I had an ah-ha moment bc this thought and action worked. Then after gold or silver, I got 3 bags at 70 lbs each and made it to platinum because it was an olympic year and I was all over the place. after that, I have kept my PM status.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
I thought that FAA rules prevented this except for in special circumstances such as POS (person of size).
Why would the FAA care?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by performancefitness
Thanks, Woody125, I think.. No, I'm not as big as you, though I have a lumbar support that pushes me 3 inches forward, so I think our legs are about the same length now from back of seat to front...

no they have never taken miles back. Also, I only ever have a problem in one direction... so I only ever ask for half the fare back. it is only fare (fair)...

Yes, I did give up the ability to lay completely flat. But there was one of my seats that was not with the others... so I did not relish the idea of switching seats with other PAX and FAs to get mine all together on this seg, going back is fine. SO I thought I would give first a try. I wound up laying as far back as I could with my lumbar pillow, then adding the down pillow they gave us under my shoulder blades, neck and head. Worked pretty good as I slept through breakfast. The thing about laying across 3 seats is that though great for the back, the head and legs tend to be a bit bound up, like sleeping on your grandmother's couch with wooden armrests.

Yeah, it's strange to do this this way, but it gets me the room to protect my back, the status I need for domestic upgrades; and now -- avoid baggage fees, avoid award ticket fees, etc (with 4 award tickets per family adventure, cancellations could be costly.)

You know, I think I remember how I started doing this. I used to go to Europe to race in the winter and found that the extra seat helped me to avoid the HUGE costs (as much as another seat!!!) of the "extra overweight baggage fees" - once they wanted to charge me $600 for my bag, I tried getting help for 2 hours before they let me go for half the fee. My ticket then only cost $400 or 500... I was fit to be tied!! with an extra seat, it was still cheaper than the heavy fee to Europe. I could split my equipment across 4 bags instead of 2; and get the credit... that was the first year that I made silver or gold... I had an ah-ha moment bc this thought and action worked. Then after gold or silver, I got 3 bags at 70 lbs each and made it to platinum because it was an olympic year and I was all over the place. after that, I have kept my PM status.
I hear ya on the back problems. Been there though CrossFit has changed that forever. Back pain is more than enough reason to do what you gotta do (including buying extra seats) on long flights. I say "atta boy!"

I just hope we never end up sitting beside each other or worse yet one of us in front of the other. That could get ugly!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I have a bad back, long legs, and get claustraphobic... .whatever the reason the agents always flip out when you want to buy and extra seat. What should or do they care?! I have been flying to Europe for years laying down across more than one seat since Delta does not have yet "lay-flat" seats. I pay for flights with AmEx Plat cc. If Delta doesn't give miles, I dispute with cc. That is what I am really buying, plus the extra room. You have to get with Delta after the fact and over the past 4 years, they have given me the extra miles (bonus and MQM's for the flights).

Not really a mileage run... called it that because I bought more seats than normal... usually just buy two (get the middle free - if not to full because of status). Sometime buy the middle just to make sure. Last year, made a weekend trip to Austria with 4 seats for which I was given all credits, benefits, AND meals! reason for 4... yeah you can lay down but on TO and Landing, you have to sit up... if I fall asleep sitting up, some shmuck usually manages to sit back and crush my knees. It's all about the leg room.

I have had a bad experience or two with FAs who want to take my seats and are adamant about it... so if I politely give it up, take down her name and the lead attendant and pilot, wait til I get my miles, then get a ticket refund through american express because I did not get what I paid for. Recently, I have started giving a heads up to the FAs and they have been very nice to make sure other Pax don't take my seat and other FAs don't give them away.

On the sardine can, full flight last year, I took a friend to Austria so he could benefit from the largess of my necessity to purchase 4 seats for a MR weekend. He and I both got the row on a nearly full flight. People would walk by and hit him in the head with their legs or toss paper at him. Didn't me because I am big and mean-looking (Don't tug on superman's cape!).
Not that I'm ever skeptical about some of the things I read on FT , but if you did indeed buy 4 tickets on the same flight and got full credit for each, you are my new freaking hero. ^:-:

But why stop at 4? In one weekend in January, one could net instant Platinum. @:-)@:-)@:-)
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

ttjoseph

the cost per seat was $800. double what I paid last year. an upgradable PMU seat was $2400 to which you only get 15000 or 20000 miles. With 3 seats, I get 30,000 mqm and 30,000 bonus miles, 60k total...

as far as confronting woody, i never put my seat back - precisely bc of my back, but also for respect. i have one of those airplane things to prevent people from laying back but haven't ever used it... want/ed to though...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

SFO777

the problems with this... strategy...

1) takes about 3-4 hours to get it straightened out if you buy online.
2) costs $20-50 (i forget their OTP fee) per seat if you do it Over The Phone
3) fighting with FA or PAX for your seat.
4) cost.

I still think the ATL-MUC or FRA is the cheapest longhaul seat that I have found, usually at $450 for 10,000 mqms. this year was odd at $800 but I had to get to my job site.

i'm looking at my next job which is a similar route but to MUC and debating how many tix to buy. they were $550 but have now jumped to $1500, 2k... will wait for the computers to reset and reprice this week.

has anyone run into not being stand-by'd domestically on an earlier flight FROM international flight? this trip was the first time I mco-atl AND atl-fra... so that if i get through customs early, i can get home...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
as far as confronting woody, i never put my seat back - precisely bc of my back, but also for respect. i have one of those airplane things to prevent people from laying back but haven't ever used it... want/ed to though...
That's funny. I never put my seat back either unless I'm in Business Elite. I just won't do it. Having had so much discomfort through the years when others have (and no hard feelings towards them I promise) I just decided I don't need it. Maybe you could sit in front me after all...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

one trip Platinum

Originally Posted by SFO777
Not that I'm ever skeptical about some of the things I read on FT , but if you did indeed buy 4 tickets on the same flight and got full credit for each, you are my new freaking hero. ^:-:

But why stop at 4? In one weekend in January, one could net instant Platinum. @:-)@:-)@:-)
You'd have to buy 7 or 8 tix on this RT itin to make plat...

now if you did ATL-Mombai? check milescalc to figure that one.
atl to bom will net 17000 miles RT - so that would take you 4.5 seats...
if it cost $400-500, i'd do that in a weekend... cheapest flights leave tues to thurs and return on sunday... those are my MRs.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Is it just me, or hasn't it been discussed often here that multiple seats (for example for POS) only get miles for the one seat? With all the talk of MR's and how many trips one needs to get MQM's to keep status, I can't remember anyone but OP in this thread actually getting miles for each purchased seat.

OP, any insight on how you finagle this?

Do you get ALL MQM's as well as RDM's from each seat? (oops, see you said already you did).

And you are PM, so you also get all Platinum bonus miles?

Last edited by mcjava; Nov 25, 2008 at 1:53 pm Reason: brain fart
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

yes... in the litany of problems associated with doing this...

5) it takes several phone calls, emails, Delta website visits to post all the miles.
it is a special dept in Delta skymiles that handles these.

so, yes, you get all MQM's and bonus miles (just like any other skymiles member and his/her skymiles partner, for example). at least, I have over the last 6 years and 12-20 RTs.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:39 pm

OP, you mentioned that if you book online, it takes a long time on the phone with SMS to straighten it out. I assume you don't pay the phone booking fee this way? Because you mentioned it was easier to book over the phone but get charged the phone booking fee that way.

If you do it online, how do you input the passenger names/SM numbers? Just book 3 people, but for each one put your own whole name and SM number? And dl.com allows that? Guess I should try a dummy booking to see how it goes.

If it allows it, then the phone call to SMS is to make sure the bookings don't get cancelled or something because a red flag goes up for a double (or triple, or quadruple) booking?
Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:07 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
has anyone run into not being stand-by'd domestically on an earlier flight FROM international flight? this trip was the first time I mco-atl AND atl-fra... so that if i get through customs early, i can get home...
I have. Arrived JFK from Europe (can't remember where) and was physically able to make an earlier flight to ATL and there was room on the plane. Was told no because I had checked luggage and the luggage had to go with me on the same flight (not sure why because DL has sent me from ATL to MLB many times without my luggage after I rechecked my bags after customs in ATL). But people without checked luggage were allowed to go standby after arriving on an international flight. So I suppose it is some kind of security issue.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:42 am
Original Poster

last two questions...

I technically am a II, so you can't enter your SM# more than once... it won't allow it online... so I enter the my name ordinary, then once with a II and so on. this is allowed. now I call SMS and get all the questions as to who are these people? then, why do you want extra seats? then the usual, this is not allowed, then I ask to speak to a manager who has been around a long time, then they change the names to EXST - last name... after the flights, then ask for SM credit.

I used to be able to fly from ATL from international to my domestic destination. I have my bags, so I don't know why I couldn't just check them at the counter there on the right into another flight that is 2 hours before my scheduled and an hour and half from the moment... they say it is a security issue, but I plan to return my bags to ATL instead of my final dest, then same day confirmed for earlier with my checked bags.... although, I have three bags now... the 2 bag domestic rule takes place Dec 5 (down one bag from 3)! they should let me slide on that since I left with 3...
Old Nov 27, 2008, 6:46 am
Original Poster

just confirmed... via email (thus it is writing...)

once completed my RT, the "Elite representative" will credit all the miles.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 7:03 am

I technically am a II, so you can't enter your SM# more than once... it won't allow it online... so I enter the my name ordinary, then once with a II and so on. this is allowed. now I call SMS and get all the questions as to who are these people? then, why do you want extra seats? then the usual, this is not allowed, then I ask to speak to a manager who has been around a long time, then they change the names to EXST - last name... after the flights, then ask for SM credit.

I used to be able to fly from ATL from international to my domestic destination. I have my bags, so I don't know why I couldn't just check them at the counter there on the right into another flight that is 2 hours before my scheduled and an hour and half from the moment... they say it is a security issue, but I plan to return my bags to ATL instead of my final dest, then same day confirmed for earlier with my checked bags.... although, I have three bags now... the 2 bag domestic rule takes place Dec 5 (down one bag from 3)! they should let me slide on that since I left with 3...
Got you. Very interesting. This has to be one of the most interesting, original threads on this forum I have read in a very long time.

Thanks for all the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.