Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Fare no longer available..." problem on delta.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2008, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM

I have had this problem a couple of times recently when trying to book an international itinerary on delta.com--using fare class M or higher. I make my request, pick my flights, they give me a fare quote, I confirm with SMS that the Z inventory for upgrades is available, I enter my four digit security code for my stored credit card, but then instead of getting the confirm/purchase page, I get a page that says "the fare is no longer available." The fare is actually available--and I got it through calling SMS and getting transferred to web support. Still, that's a bit of a pain and I'd rather just do the whole thing on line (other than executing the PMU upgrade with SMS).

Has anyone else had this problem lately?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Lifetime Plat/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PresCircle
I'm having the exact same problem. I spent the better part of an hour trying to book an international itinerary online using M or higher. Fails at the exact same point - right after I enter the credit card info.

I then spent nearly an hour being transferred between SMS and web support. I kept getting India web support and they had no clue what I was talking about. I then emailed Delta asking for help... and... of course, they just referred me back to web support.

SMS was able to pull up the exact same itinerary at the same price I was getting online, and, of course, offered to book it for $25. When I asked them to waive the fee since I was trying to book it online, they then referred me back to web support, which went back to India where they had no clue what I was talking about. This is ridiculous.

atl runner -- were you able to get them to waive the $25 fee?

Last edited by travelry; Oct 28, 2008 at 2:30 pm Reason: added a question
Old Oct 28, 2008, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelry
I'm having the exact same problem. I spent the better part of an hour trying to book an international itinerary online using M or higher. Fails at the exact same point - right after I enter the credit card info.

I then spent nearly an hour being transferred between SMS and web support. I kept getting India web support and they had no clue what I was talking about. I then emailed Delta asking for help... and... of course, they just referred me back to web support.

SMS was able to pull up the exact same itinerary at the same price I was getting online, and, of course, offered to book it for $25. When I asked them to waive the fee since I was trying to book it online, they then referred me back to web support, which went back to India where they had no clue what I was talking about. This is ridiculous.

atl runner -- were you able to get them to waive the $25 fee?
I was transferred to a US based web person and did not have to pay the fee. I would suggest insisting you talk to a supervisor if you get an agent (Indian or otherwise) who can't seem to book it for you. Keep going up the chain until you get someone who can.

In my case, the web agent not only booked it, but then executed the upgrades--for which I'll be using PMUs.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I've run into this message repeatedly since they instituted the 3-tier system. However, I've seen it and others have reported it primarily as a result of attempting to book an award flight. I believe it's a widespread, systemic problem that affects a significant portion of reservations. Perhaps this is the standard response that gets spit out when the web site has problems accessing the data it needs to book the reservation. Unfortunately, if they haven't fixed it in a month, it appears they're willing to simply instruct us to call in to reserve the flight. (That's the answer I got from tech support.) It's inexcusable, but so long as they continue to deny there's a problem, the only thing we can do is keep banging the drum until the natives get restless.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I had this problem last January & again later. One time (intl trip) the site changed the fare from a B to an unrestricted Y, raising the fare by $1000. SMS had the correct fare, but it cost me the telephone fee. I got no satisfaction with a complaint.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Lifetime Plat/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PresCircle
Well, an update on this Fare Not Available fiasco. Tried AGAIN last night... of course, got the same error message. So called SMS, got transferred to online support - which was India. The online support agent AGAIN couldn't do anything but repeat canned answers about fares may sell out, the website is working perfectly fine, etc.

So, asked to speak with a supervisor and was told "We don't have supervisors. We are online support. No supervisors work here." After a few minutes back and forth of getting nowhere, ended that call and called SMS back.

Got a great agent at SMS who was quite sympathetic, but, of course, couldn't waive the $25 booking fee -- "Only online support can do that when it's a website problem." Anyway, ended up just booking the tickets on the phone, which at M fares were not a small chunk of change so paying that $25 fee just irks me! And the great SMS agent them provided me with Delta Customer Service fax number and told me to write them about this very unhappy experience... which is what I'll now do.

But, on the bright side, I did get all my upgrades to South America processed using my PMUs!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL GM
See this for some new coverage on the issue....

however, even Delta gives travel editors caned responses!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

I just sent them an email and incorporated (without names--other than mine) the problems we are having with the broken aspect of their website--in regard to this issue. They usually respond pretty quickly to me--I'll tell you what they say--and then we'll see if they fix it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.