Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW: 100% bonus on transferred miles in Oct.!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2008, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Exclamation

IMHO it's a good deal (more than neutralizes the fee) if U want to empty out orphan acct.s (esp. those of infrequent flyers such as kids,) a so-so deal to churn for tons of new miles. OK, so it's not AS awesome as some Budget/ Avis deals. Also, I am concerned about possible future devaluations due to too darn many miles existing. Of course it would be better on an airline without so many bogus fees which make award tix no longer free.

So think it over. For people like Hindukid, this offer increases demand for & trading value of DL miles on tCC !
Old Oct 2, 2008, 5:19 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by hindukid
Over on the AA board, almost all posters claimed they would buy all sorts of miles at 1 cent a piece. The enthusiasm on this board does not seem so high. It seems rahter easy and painless to buy miles at 1.1 cents. Are they worth less then this?
Lots of people argue that their miles are worth 3, 5, or even 10 cents. And this may be true, if you use them for international travel in premium classes (of course, this math is off unless you would actually pay $10,000 in cash for the $10,000 SQ F ticket you got with miles). I think for DL miles, a much lower valuation is appropriate, but 1.1 cents is not a bad deal. $1540+ for a SQ F ticket (140k miles) or $1100+ for a C ticket US-EU is not bad value (if you can get them). Even $3500 for a "last seat" award C ticket US-EU may be a great deal under certain circumstances. The minimum value for DL miles is 1 cent (if redeemed for flights with Pay-with-Miles) or about .5 cents (if redeemed for giftcards). Keep in mind, though, that obtaining DL miles is much easier than getting AA miles, and that many options (car rentals, shopping) can yield DL miles at well below 1 cent per mile.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 5:35 pm

So basically if you do a 30k transfer you get to move 30k miles from one acct to another and then you basically are "buying" the additional 30k for 1.1 cents apiece. Not a bad deal if you are looking to transfer from one acct to another as others have mentioned, but not a great deal if you are just looking to "buy" miles. The Budget deal is a much cheaper way to "buy" miles. That said, I'll actually probably take advantage of this just to move some miles between accounts and into one single main acct. Much better to have 120k in one acct than 40k in 3 separate accts as it gives much more flexibility if you want to redeem or trade the miles in the future. ^
Old Oct 2, 2008, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by reddawngrl
I pay $60+30= $90 total to transfer 6K miles, which nets me 12K miles. Or I can rent cars from Budget at $25 each, netting me 8K miles each. If I spent $100 on cars I'd have 32K miles.

$100 for 32K miles or $90 for 12K miles? It's not rocket science. This is not a deal. These Budget deals have spoiled us.
\

Hey reddawngirl - can you please help me out.. I cannot rent cards for $25 - I live in Houston - Care to explain how you are renting cars from Budget for $25 all in!! I would love to get my hand on $100 for 32k miles.... in fact at those prices I would like to spend $500 and get those 160k miles) - heck i would even pay someone a commision if they helped me get 160k miles for 500 bucks.... So please let me know how I can make this work in Houston

thanks

Last edited by bomaab; Oct 2, 2008 at 6:31 pm
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:12 pm

If you'd like to spend $500 to get 32k miles, then this 100% bonus on transferred miles is right up your alley. Just find somebody to mutually trade with and you'll be set. ^ And it will be even cheaper than $500!!!
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
So, basically, right now, I have 20,500 miles in my account... if I transfer it to another account, that person will get 41,000 miles, NOT me, right?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:39 pm

Correct.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by bomaab
\

Hey reddawngirl - can you please help me out.. I cannot rent cards for $25 - I live in Houston - Care to explain how you are renting cars from Budget for $25 all in!! I would love to get my hand on $100 for 32k miles.... in fact at those prices I would like to spend $500 and get those 160k miles) - heck i would even pay someone a commision if they helped me get 160k miles for 500 bucks.... So please let me know how I can make this work in Houston

thanks
I sent you a PM.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
...you basically are "buying" the additional 30k for 1.1 cents apiece...The Budget deal is a much cheaper way to "buy" miles.
If you do 30,000 miles at a time, then that is *exactly* what you are doing - buying miles for 1.1CPM. If you redeem between 1.5 and 2.0 CPM as I do, it is likely worth it. Using them for less than 1.1 CPM (PWM, for example) or not using them at all is not worth it.

Comparing this offer vs the Budget offer or other means is somewhat apples vs oranges, as this requires a fw mouse clicks and the Budget offer (and others) require some time, activity, and risk (albeit net you a lower cost if done properly).
Old Oct 4, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Under the old award structure, I'd probably have used the deal to transfer points from my kids' accounts into mine. However, with the new triple tier award structure, I have no idea how many miles it'll take to get us to Hawaii anymore. Used to be that I knew that if SkySaver failed, SkyChoice would be available at 70k miles. No more.

So, I've decided to simply quit hoarding Delta miles. I've already canceled my husband's gold AMEX SkyMiles cards and switched over to United's program. I don't like uncertainty. Nor did I like the increase to $95 for the card.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Recreation
...with the new triple tier award structure, I have no idea how many miles it'll take to get us to Hawaii anymore. Used to be that I knew that if SkySaver failed, SkyChoice would be available at 70k miles. No more.... I don't like uncertainty.
You certainly have an idea - it is one of three levels. I think you meant that "last seat available" awards require more miles now. You should consider the frequency of availability of the cheaper awards both on DL and UA when weighing how much of an impact the premium award change has on you. On a quick check, I am seeing a lot of "low" availability from various DL markets to HNL through the end of this year. I didn't check UA.

As for being risk averse - do you feel that UA presents you with less risk of change (i.e., greater certainty)?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife and I are CO plats, so our Skymiles are pretty much "orphans." (But perhaps more useful to me when CO bolts for the Star Alliance). I might be interested in "topping off" our accounts with this promo if there was plausible availability at the lowest coach reward tier to Hawaiian and int'l destinations. That's pretty much the only way I could get sufficient value at 1.1 cents per mile.

What has been the recent experience with such reward availability? I'm guessing it's not too good because back when there were 2 tiers and I examined it, DL was a little behind the pack in standard reward availability (and significantly worse than AA or UA, where 1.1 cents/mile would be much more attractive to me).

Thanks for any guidance on this.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA,Delta,AA,Starwood,continental
Can I transfer back and forth many times?

Hi,
Does anybody know that whether I can transfer miles from two accounts back and forth to receive many bonus miles? (I know the limitation of 150k to transfer in a year and 300k to receive in a year). To be specific, I want to transfer 30k to my wife's account, then she transfer this 30k back to me, then I transfer 30k to her account again.... (I know the bonus part may not posted until after 10/31)

I do like this because for 60k, I can get a ticket to Asian, but ticket to asian normally cost us $1500.

Any suggestions?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 5:03 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by mooper
As for being risk averse - do you feel that UA presents you with less risk of change (i.e., greater certainty)?
Yes, because they own 60% of the Hawaiian market acc. to FlyerTalkers and therefore should have more award seats available. Their flights aren't as convenient for me as Delta's but when I need to fly 4 people, price has to supercede convenience.

Last year when I was booking my flights from CVG->OGG (not HNL), the only seats available on Delta at 331 days out were SkyChoice coach seats at 70k Miles. I reluctantly booked 3 seats and paid for one out of pocket to the tune of $1100. That's when I started to do research on other airlines and discovered that there were tons of Saver seats available on United, even at less than 331 days out. I asked other United Flyertalkers if it was normal to see lots of Saver seats to Hawaii and they said yes. If you plan early you should be able to do it. They also have the added bonus of having E+ seats which will give coach passengers an extra 5 inches of legroom for an extra fee. For coach dwellers like me, 5 inches of legroom is a big deal.

I'm hoping that the Saver seats with United aren't going to dry up like they seemed to do with Delta. In years past, I've been able to book 6 RT Saver seats on Delta to Hawaii by booking at 331 days out. This past time I couldn't find Saver coach seats ever, to either OGG or HNL. (It was for July 12-19, '08). With Choice being double the price of Saver, I've got to go where I feel I have the best chance of getting Saver seats. And that's with United.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA,Delta,AA,Starwood,continental
Budget "Car must be returned at Airport Locations Only"???

Originally Posted by whynotgo
The cost is $.01 per mile, but they give you 2 miles for every mile. In addition, you will be charged a $30 fee. So, it really costs .005+ per mile. The transfer offer for 30,000 miles will cost 30,000 x $.01=$300 +$30 fee =$330. The fine print is confusing --Who will get the bonus miles, the originator or the recipient. Someone in Delta.com needs to clarify this item.

By contrast, the current Delta/Budget promotion is providing 7,500 miles for a SUV rental. For me at IAD, for $30 I get 7,500 miles at $.004 per mile. This is a rather simple way to get miles, i.e. for $120 I get 30,000 miles (btw, 30,000 is the maximum transfer on the Delta miles transfer). With the Delta Budget promo I can get 60,000 miles for $240 (8 rentals @ $30) That is 7,500 miles x 8 rental.

Overall, my thought on this offer, I rather rent Budget cars and pay $.004 per mile (and I am just renting to get the miles). If you rent cars anyway, the Budget bonus offer gives you 7,500 free miles
Hi,
I looked at the the "terms and conditions" of the budget car rental, one sentence says "...Car must be returned at Airport Locations Only...."-----Do you want to make sure about this? In other words, if you just rent a car from a store near your home (not in an airport), it may not qualify! You may end up with wasting money renting unwanted car getting nothing. Did you make sure with Budget and Delta?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.