Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW: 100% bonus on transferred miles in Oct.!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by whynotgo
The cost is $.01 per mile, but they give you 2 miles for every mile. In addition, you will be charged a $30 fee. So, it really costs .005+ per mile. The transfer offer for 30,000 miles will cost 30,000 x $.01=$300 +$30 fee =$330.
The originator would get 660 SM on the DL AmEx as well. Unfortunately, I don't have a family member who has the 30,000 miles to send. I would gladly pay, even though I've taken a liking to the recent Avis/Budget promotions when I would be on the road anyway.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:07 am

Does anyone know if there is a cap concerning the bonus miles?

The DL website has the following under the section about the 100% bonus for transfer of miles:

The Rules
You can transfer 1,000 to 30,000 miles in increments of 1,000 miles.

DL shows a limit of 30,000 miles when you go to the transfer screen. So, here is what I am asking - is the above statement under "The Rules" just there because they expect people to transfer miles in bunches no greater than 30,000, or will they only give the bonus up to a maximum of 30,000 miles?

In other words, if I do two transfers from one account, and transfer #1 is for 30,000 miles, and transfer #2 is for 20,000 miles, how many bonus miles will the recipient get?

And, yes, I have e-mailed DL about this, but I am still awaiting their reply.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:36 am

INCORRECT!

Originally Posted by whynotgo
The cost is $.01 per mile, but they give you 2 miles for every mile. In addition, you will be charged a $30 fee. So, it really costs .005+ per mile. The transfer offer for 30,000 miles will cost 30,000 x $.01=$300 +$30 fee =$330.
Not at all. The price is $330 PLUS the cost of buying the miles from someone!

Or if you find a friend and you simply "swap" miles by transfering the same ammount to each other, then the miles are free, BUT:

You get 30.000 from the transfer
You get 30.000 bonus
You give away 30.000

So in the end, you only have 30k miles more than you had before, not 60k. Hence the price is 0.01cmp+$30 and NOT 0.005+$30.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by mirobatka
Not at all. The price is $330 PLUS the cost of buying the miles from someone!

Or if you find a friend and you simply "swap" miles by transfering the same ammount to each other, then the miles are free, BUT:

You get 30.000 from the transfer
You get 30.000 bonus
You give away 30.000

So in the end, you only have 30k miles more than you had before, not 60k. Hence the price is 0.01cmp+$30 and NOT 0.005+$30.
Unless the transfer was between you and your wife - in which you keep all the miles irregardless of where they end up (this post assumes a good relationship with said wife).
Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
Just not a good deal!

We can analyze this offer many ways, but it is generally not a good deal. We can get miles at lower costs through other means.

Delta has totally screwed up the Skymiles frequent flyer redemption program and this is just a distraction from their real problem.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:30 am

Nope

Originally Posted by crazygrow
Unless the transfer was between you and your wife - in which you keep all the miles irregardless of where they end up (this post assumes a good relationship with said wife).
Even if you transfer to your wife... How many NEW miles are you getting? How many more miles will you have afterwards that you didn't have before? The answer is 30k.

I spent hours trying to figure this out, but as "whynotgo" has said, it's just a so-so deal. There are cheaper ways to get miles.

Last edited by mirobatka; Oct 2, 2008 at 9:47 am
Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
Maybe we got the answer!!

I just got this email from Delta. Per the email, both the transfered miles and the bonus miles go to the recipient (now if they will only change the offers terms and conditions).

Dear Mr. Whynotgo,

Have you been waiting for the right time this Fall to Transfer Miles to a friend or family member? Well, that time has finally come. As a valued SkyMiles member, your recipient will receive one bonus mile for every mile that you transfer between October 1st and October 31st. For example, if you transfer 10,000 miles, your recipient will receive a bonus of 10,000 miles for a total of 20,000 miles.

So what are you waiting for? Visit delta.com/transfermiles today and your friends and family will be twice as close to their next Award Ticket!
Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:34 pm

I just received the e-mail about the transfer program. It also included the terms and conditions, which I did not copy below. Is there still a question as to who receives the miles?

Dear Mr. X:

Have you been waiting for the right time this Fall to Transfer Miles to a friend or family member? Well, that time has finally come. As a valued SkyMiles member, your recipient will receive one bonus mile for every mile that you transfer between October 1st and October 31st. For example, if you transfer 10,000 miles, your recipient will receive a bonus of 10,000 miles for a total of 20,000 miles.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 1:07 pm

Still not a good deal compared to renting cars

I pay $60+30= $90 total to transfer 6K miles, which nets me 12K miles. Or I can rent cars from Budget at $25 each, netting me 8K miles each. If I spent $100 on cars I'd have 32K miles.

$100 for 32K miles or $90 for 12K miles? It's not rocket science. This is not a deal. These Budget deals have spoiled us.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL-PM/R, 1985 US
If you can transfer up to 150,000 miles from one account per year, why do they limit you to 30,000 miles per transfer?

$30 Transfer Fee can add up.
Delta should allow transfers of up to 150k at a time for the $30.

JMHO
Old Oct 2, 2008, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Schark
If you can transfer up to 150,000 miles from one account per year, why do they limit you to 30,000 miles per transfer?

$30 Transfer Fee can add up.
Methinks you answered the question you asked.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL-PM/R, 1985 US
Originally Posted by sbm12
Methinks you answered the question you asked.
You bet I did.
Just thinking out loud of how nice that would be.
Even better.... if you could get the 5% AMEX Open discount on transfers.

I'll pull my head back down out of the clouds now and stick it back up my....
Old Oct 2, 2008, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta; Marriott Silver
For me it is a tough decission. My wife, daughter and I travel to Thailand once per year. Total skymiles for 3 tickets is 180k (at least under the old award structure). Three tickets to Thailand are about $4500 if purchased on Delta.com. So, now I ponder if it is worth 4 transfers of 30k from my account to my wife's account which would top her account to 240k or enough for 4 tickets and then send her 30k over to my account give me 60k in my account for a total of 5 tickets between accounts. Currently we have enough for 2 with about 20k needed for the third ticket for our trip next year. Why does $1600 seem like a bargin to go from 2 tickets to a total of 5? My head hurts. I also agree that car rentals are a nice way to bump up you skymiles accounts. I'm jumping all over those deals as well.

LS
Old Oct 2, 2008, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by LastSurvivor
For me it is a tough decission. My wife, daughter and I travel to Thailand once per year. Total skymiles for 3 tickets is 180k (at least under the old award structure). Three tickets to Thailand are about $4500 if purchased on Delta.com. So, now I ponder if it is worth 4 transfers of 30k from my account to my wife's account which would top her account to 240k or enough for 4 tickets and then send her 30k over to my account give me 60k in my account for a total of 5 tickets between accounts. Currently we have enough for 2 with about 20k needed for the third ticket for our trip next year. Why does $1600 seem like a bargin to go from 2 tickets to a total of 5? My head hurts. I also agree that car rentals are a nice way to bump up you skymiles accounts. I'm jumping all over those deals as well.
LS
Depending on how high the award-ticket fees will be, for you it might make sense. If a single ticket to Thailand is $1500, then it's better to get 60k miles for $600 + $30 processing fee + taxes/fees.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 4:55 pm

Seems to me like you can buy miles essentially for 1.1 cents a piece.

Over on the AA board, almost all posters claimed they would buy all sorts of miles at 1 cent a piece. The enthusiasm on this board does not seem so high. It seems rahter easy and painless to buy miles at 1.1 cents. Are they worth less then this?

I have very little DL miles. Whenever I have tried to use them it seems as though availability is so-so and they seem to really be introducing a lot of fees. I'm contemplating doing this, but I'm not sure they are even worth 1.1 cents to me. I don't really value premium class travel so that makes it tough for miles to add up to a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.