atl-dkr-jnb in business; what kind of seat?

Old Aug 23, 08, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold after slowing down; former UA GS/1K
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Greetings. I am mainly a UA flyer, but need to choose a carrier to JNB in Nov. For various reasons Delta is looking like my choice but I need to know, what kind of seats do they have in business? Lie-flat, torture chamber? Any help will be appreciated!
Old Aug 23, 08, 11:11 am

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Originally Posted by eratosthaenes View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Greetings. I am mainly a UA flyer, but need to choose a carrier to JNB in Nov. For various reasons Delta is looking like my choice but I need to know, what kind of seats do they have in business? Lie-flat, torture chamber? Any help will be appreciated!
You would be flying on a 767-ER featuring the old style cradle seats. They are not terrible, you can check the specifics at seat guru as for pitch and good vs bad seats, etc.
SAM

Last edited by samftla; Aug 23, 08 at 11:20 am
Old Aug 23, 08, 11:18 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite

what kind of seats do they have in business? Lie-flat, torture chamber?
Neither. It's a seat with 60" of pitch that reclines to about 160 degrees or so, arranged 2-2-2 across the width of a 767 (which means a fairly narrow seat). At some point in the next 2-3 years, it will be a lie-flat product, but not currently.

It's certainly comfortable enough for an 8 hour flight. I'm not sure any seat, including a lie-flat, is comfortable enough for 16-17 hours.
Old Aug 23, 08, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold after slowing down; former UA GS/1K

Thanks for this. I did 17 hrs in business on SQ and was totally comfortable. 8 hours is the max though in what you describe. I think my other choice is SAA which I believe is lie flat for 16 hrs one way and 8+8 on the return. But its another $2k. Hmmm...
Old Aug 23, 08, 2:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite

Thanks for this. I did 17 hrs in business on SQ and was totally comfortable. 8 hours is the max though in what you describe. I think my other choice is SAA which I believe is lie flat for 16 hrs one way and 8+8 on the return. But its another $2k. Hmmm...
But the service components are better on DL IMO.
Old Aug 23, 08, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
The DL 763 BE seats are very comfortable. I have flown 10+ hours in these seats and had not issues. Great Pitch, Fairly Wide, and AVOD. Also, DL's BE Service tends to be great as well. I say it all the time, I prefer the 763 BE Seats to the 777 BE Seats (the current ER seats).

You should be fine.
Old Aug 23, 08, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
I would agree with everything you've said, except for "fairly wide". Other than COs and AMs 767s which are 5 abreast, I've never flown in a 6-abreast 767 that had wide seats in J. DLs are 18.5 inches wide. Compare to the 772 at 22 inches and even a domestic 757 at 20.75 inches.
Old Aug 23, 08, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK View Post
I would agree with everything you've said, except for "fairly wide". Other than COs and AMs 767s which are 5 abreast, I've never flown in a 6-abreast 767 that had wide seats in J. DLs are 18.5 inches wide. Compare to the 772 at 22 inches and even a domestic 757 at 20.75 inches.
Understood. I guess it depends on the PAX size. At 5' 10" / 170 lbs, the seats are indeed "fairly wide" for me. YMMV.
Old Aug 23, 08, 6:58 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Denolloyd View Post
I say it all the time, I prefer the 763 BE Seats to the 777 BE Seats (the current ER seats).
I don't see how this statement could be made. The seat pitch and recline are the same, and the 777 seat is wider, so I'm unclear on what basis the 763 seat could be preferred over the 777. Equal, perhaps, if you don't need the extra width, but preferred?
Old Aug 23, 08, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Robert Leach View Post
I don't see how this statement could be made. The seat pitch and recline are the same, and the 777 seat is wider, so I'm unclear on what basis the 763 seat could be preferred over the 777. Equal, perhaps, if you don't need the extra width, but preferred?
Agreed. Not sure about that statement. Having flown both, the 777 is by far more comfortable due to the width. I am 185, 6'0 and can certainly tell a difference.
Old Aug 23, 08, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Robert Leach View Post
In my experience, the Leg / Foot rests on the 763 BE seat seems to extend 1" - 2" further than that of the 777, thus allowing me to fully stretch my legs.

While Pitch and Recline is the same, the leg rest causes me to prefer the 763 BE seat.
Old Aug 24, 08, 10:00 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star
Just in case it there is someone that isn't already aware of this:

www.seatguru.com is great for answering these kinds of questions. Put in the carrier, the type of equipment, and you can get feedback on all of the seats on the plane. It's wonderful.
Old Aug 25, 08, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.5MM, Marriott Plat / LT Gold

DL's 767 BE seats are very similar to UA's older 767 C seats...a little more legroom, close to the same width, power movements instead of the kinda ghetto "pull-hold-then-manually-adjust" movements, leather instead of cloth, and WAY better IFE.

Oh, and as mentioned, solid soft product.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 26, 08, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat, A3 Gold

Lousy seat. About to board DL 35 JNB-DKR-ATL. Could be worse though, could always be worse...
Old Aug 26, 08, 1:50 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by DLinYUL View Post
Lousy seat.
I think that's a bit harsh. It's not a bed, that's for sure, but it rises above the level of "lousy" IMO.

My goodness, it is a better seat than most seats in International F were 15 years ago.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: